Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

N-1 good time to thin the herd

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 05:53 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts

Subject term hear should have been herd ...

Now is a good time to sell some surplus bikes.
Most of us like to add bike N+1 and I have been in this mode upto 2020.
I had been trying to sell some of my stock that I really did not need and save some storage room for most of 2019 by listing on ebay but sales were not really happening.

As we know, the COVID-19 era has resulted in a bike buying boom and I have recently been able to sell 3 bikes and 2 frames.

Consider this an opportunity and even a good time to do a build to make a sale.
I have done a few of these with my surplus bike parts.
In each sale case for me, it was sad to see the bike go but I was happy that the bike will probably be used more by the buyer.

I do ride all my bikes and the sales were bikes that were inferior to other models I had for the same purpose.
Like selling a TI road bike that has wheels and components not quite as nice as the model I ride more often.

Are others taking advantage of this opportunity?
Would like to hear your success stories of sharing your love and reducing your herd.

BTW, I do need a gravel bike large size and would also be happy with an older classic. N-3 is getting to me

Last edited by joesch; 05-06-20 at 09:31 AM. Reason: BTW
Likes For joesch:
Old 05-06-20, 09:35 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I sold off my beater franken bike 2008 surly karate monkey two weeks ago. I bought it many years ago used thinking I'd like to try out a rigid and single speed mtn bike but I ended up not riding it very much. The rigid thing was ok but I didn't have as much fun as I do when riding with some suspension and I never got around to trying single speed. I'm getting older and I'm afraid it would kill my knees. I have a full suspension, a hardtail, and my gravel/road bike so if I ever want to do the "rigid" thing I can just slap my gravel wheels on my road bike and take it out in the woods. The guy I sold it to is a n+1 bikeaholic and I believe he is planning to turn it into a backpacking touring setup.
Old 05-06-20, 04:00 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Unfortunately, my road bikes have all been outfitted to MY tastes, and that is NOT what most people want these days. ALL of my road bikes are still friction-shift. ALL have SunTour barcon shifters. ALL have six-speed freewheels. Three of the four are still 27" rims/tires. ALL are lugged steel - They range from 22.7 to 28 pounds as ridden. So... I've pretty much limited any sales - IF I wanted to sell any of them - to persons with my tastes.

IF I were to decide to sell any of them, I'd probably have to change (buy) other components, and that ain't gonna happen because they probably STILL wouldn't like my choices... Strip them down and sell the F/F- maybe. But I still lose my ass...
Old 05-06-20, 04:14 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
I tried to do that very recently, found the one bike I hadn’t ridden in 2 years, cleaned it up, got the serial number, and wrote the ad, editing the pics, I kinda fell in love with the bike again. Taking it on a 30 mile ride tomorrow. Guess I’m at N max/min, not getting any more, and not getting rid of any.
Tim

77 Trek TX 900
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 05-06-20, 05:03 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
You could even consider it a responsibility or at least good deed. Probably lots of people who want bikes who just can't get them and are now stuck at home!
Old 05-06-20, 05:10 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
I tried to do that very recently, found the one bike I hadn’t ridden in 2 years, cleaned it up, got the serial number, and wrote the ad, editing the pics, I kinda fell in love with the bike again. Taking it on a 30 mile ride tomorrow. Guess I’m at N max/min, not getting any more, and not getting rid of any.
Tim

77 Trek TX 900
Is that a Photoshop effect? Divine Approval? Or did someone open the door to the darkroom while you were developing the shot?
Old 05-06-20, 05:51 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Is that a Photoshop effect? Divine Approval? Or did someone open the door to the darkroom while you were developing the shot?
just pure dumb ass luck when taking the pic, don’t even know how to use photoshop. Maybe divine approval of the Campy hi flange front hub?
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 05-06-20, 06:31 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts

Beam on my ItalVega
I took this photo on my phone and didn’t look at it until I got home. I was posting on my weekend ride report and saw the beam of light. I immediately got comments on the cool picture. I dunno , I couldn’t tell you how it happened , there was no moisture in the air. It had to be reflective. This bike has Campy High Flange too!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-06-20, 06:36 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Wow, call Ripley's Believe It Or Not, I have no explanation for that one.
Old 05-06-20, 06:59 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm trying to put together a gravel bike. Bogged down in two areas, the first is getting the brakes installed, this is just me being lazy. The more difficult task is converting friction shifters to brifters. I just cannot get them to work although I'm sure if I spent an afternoon I could finish the bike and get to riding it.
Old 05-06-20, 07:10 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by Canker
I sold off my beater franken bike 2008 surly karate monkey two weeks ago. I bought it many years ago used thinking I'd like to try out a rigid and single speed mtn bike but I ended up not riding it very much. The rigid thing was ok but I didn't have as much fun as I do when riding with some suspension and I never got around to trying single speed. I'm getting older and I'm afraid it would kill my knees. I have a full suspension, a hardtail, and my gravel/road bike so if I ever want to do the "rigid" thing I can just slap my gravel wheels on my road bike and take it out in the woods. The guy I sold it to is a n+1 bikeaholic and I believe he is planning to turn it into a backpacking touring setup.
I would be happy to pick up a bike like a surly karate monkey. Its pretty much a gravel/road bike, atleast for 2008.
Old 05-06-20, 07:38 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Blasphemy! Heretic! You shall repent for suggesting "N - 1" is even a thing!!!!!

Ironically, I made it a goal for myself to get down to 2 bikes this year (from the 7 I had) and I am 1 bike away from that goal. I was hoping to get to just 1 bike which is my 2020 Trek Domane SL7, but after watching a GCN video that showed that a gravel bike is no match for a true mountain bike when riding off-road, I decided to keep my Cannondale mountain bike as well so I have all bases covered!

My decision to get down to 1 bike (plus 1 mountain bike ) is partially due to improvements in bike technology that have made it possible for one bike to do just about everything well. My Domane has disc brakes, electronic shifting, and plenty of tire clearance so I've opted to just get 2 wheelsets for my one bike and that'll cover 90% of the riding I do. The remaining 10% is for the mountain bike... but we won't count that.

To me, the advantages of riding just one bike are pretty big..
  • Once you get your bike fit / dialed-in for your body, every ride will be as comfortable as possible. No having to get used to different bikes, different seats, or spend a lot of time and money getting multiple bikes to fit you.
  • You can splurge on go-fast parts and know those parts will always be with you. For example, if you have 5 bikes and decide to buy a power meter, which bike does it go on?!?! Buying 5 power meters is crazy-talk. 1 bike = 1 power meter.
  • While I like tinkering with bikes, I'd prefer to focus my tinkering on a single bike and not have to fix and maintain a herd of bikes. I'm notoriously lazy about giving my bikes a good cleaning like I should because it seems like a never ending task. With only 1 bike, that task is greatly diminished so I can spend more time riding.
  • As mentioned above, multiple wheelsets for a single bike with different tires on each can make it seem like you have more than one bike when you don't. Aero rims with slicks for asphalt, wide rims with knobbies for gravel and trails.
  • Should you get tired of your one bike, it's only one bike to sell (Selling bikes is a PITA as far as I'm concerned!)
Originally Posted by joesch
BTW, I do need a gravel bike large size and would also be happy with an older classic. N-3 is getting to me
Hehe... just so happens that the 1 bike I have left to sell is a 58cm Trek Boone 9 It currently has 28mm slicks on it, but can easily handle wider tires for gravel since it's technically a cyclocross frame.
Old 05-06-20, 07:39 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Meh, I've got a Trek 520 and a Univega Superstrada and at least one other BMX bike that need to be gone at some point, but I'm not really up for randos coming to my house right now. Same going for needing to buy a MTB now that I have a sweet trail system within walking distance of my new house, but that'll have to wait for the same reason.
Old 05-08-20, 06:38 AM
joesch

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Meh, I've got a Trek 520 and a Univega Superstrada and at least one other BMX bike that need to be gone at some point, but I'm not really up for randos coming to my house right now. Same going for needing to buy a MTB now that I have a sweet trail system within walking distance of my new house, but that'll have to wait for the same reason.
Much of the boom in sales is happening on the net now. BikeFlights is a really great shipping service. LBS and other all net base bike sellers are swamped. There are also lots of LBS buyers but C19 isolations limits are in effect for personal sales. No need for "randos coming to my house right now".
Old 05-08-20, 06:40 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
BikeFlights is a really great shipping service.
A little bit of a tangent, but I found that https://www.shipbikes.com/ prices are better than BikeFlights.
Old 05-08-20, 06:44 AM
joesch

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Blasphemy! Heretic! You shall repent for suggesting "N - 1" is even a thing!!!!!

Ironically, I made it a goal for myself to get down to 2 bikes this year (from the 7 I had) and I am 1 bike away from that goal. I was hoping to get to just 1 bike which is my 2020 Trek Domane SL7, but after watching a GCN video that showed that a gravel bike is no match for a true mountain bike when riding off-road, I decided to keep my Cannondale mountain bike as well so I have all bases covered!

My decision to get down to 1 bike (plus 1 mountain bike ) is partially due to improvements in bike technology that have made it possible for one bike to do just about everything well. My Domane has disc brakes, electronic shifting, and plenty of tire clearance so I've opted to just get 2 wheelsets for my one bike and that'll cover 90% of the riding I do. The remaining 10% is for the mountain bike... but we won't count that.

To me, the advantages of riding just one bike are pretty big..
  • Once you get your bike fit / dialed-in for your body, every ride will be as comfortable as possible. No having to get used to different bikes, different seats, or spend a lot of time and money getting multiple bikes to fit you.
  • You can splurge on go-fast parts and know those parts will always be with you. For example, if you have 5 bikes and decide to buy a power meter, which bike does it go on?!?! Buying 5 power meters is crazy-talk. 1 bike = 1 power meter.
  • While I like tinkering with bikes, I'd prefer to focus my tinkering on a single bike and not have to fix and maintain a herd of bikes. I'm notoriously lazy about giving my bikes a good cleaning like I should because it seems like a never ending task. With only 1 bike, that task is greatly diminished so I can spend more time riding.
  • As mentioned above, multiple wheelsets for a single bike with different tires on each can make it seem like you have more than one bike when you don't. Aero rims with slicks for asphalt, wide rims with knobbies for gravel and trails.
  • Should you get tired of your one bike, it's only one bike to sell (Selling bikes is a PITA as far as I'm concerned!)

Hehe... just so happens that the 1 bike I have left to sell is a 58cm Trek Boone 9 It currently has 28mm slicks on it, but can easily handle wider tires for gravel since it's technically a cyclocross frame.
For anybody that does only have one bike and avoiding N+1 then they should follow your advice and have other setups for that bike, like road and gravel wheel sets. I really think everyone needs atleast 2 bikes that are ready for the road, as is. Accidents and thefts do happen so nice to have a backup ride.
Old 05-08-20, 06:48 AM
joesch

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
A little bit of a tangent, but I found that https://www.shipbikes.com/ prices are better than BikeFlights.
Thats interesting since it reads like shipbikes uses FedEx and BikeFlights went from FedEx to UPS to save shippers $. What are you basing your comparison on?

Last edited by joesch; 05-08-20 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-08-20, 03:05 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I haven't looked, but I imagine bike second hand prices are higher than normal. Just wait till after covid to buy, I think there will be a lot of bike sales as people return to their smog belching cars.
Old 05-09-20, 10:45 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Why not do what I do, and just put more hooks in the garage ceiling?