Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hi, Neighbor!...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Hi, Neighbor!...

Old 06-26-20, 12:42 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Hi, Neighbor!...

I was 8 miles from the house and one mile from the office when my cell phone rang. I wear an earbud and clicked to answer the call.
"Hey Bob it's your neighbor, R______."

My wife had left for work, and my mother-on-law was at the house alone. R______'s house faces ours...could there be a problem?

No, wait, R______ was backing out of his driveway earlier just as I pedaled out of mine, and I waved to him as he passed me.

"...are you down by Lake Street?" he asked, "cause I think I drove past you!"

Yes, I told him, it's a long light and I always have to stop there.

R______ was all excited. He told me he didn't realize I biked all the way down to this part of town everyday. I told him I've been doing it 28 years. I'm almost 60, he might be almost 40. I guess when you don't bike, 8 miles seems like a lot. He said he had stopped at a drive through before we crossed paths. Then he said, "So, your heart must be in good shape." I told him that's my goal.

When I got to the office I checked my helmet cam and saw his truck cross the intersection at Lake Street. I texted him a screen grab, which he also thought was pretty cool.

Old 06-26-20, 06:44 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Oh wow, He just passed by me at an intersection a mile from the house on the ride home. We've been neighbors 5 years and have never crossed paths outside the neighborhood before.

Freaky day.
Old 07-02-20, 11:54 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Time to invite him out on a ride?

Just found out my neighbor of 4 years also rides a road bike recreationally. The things you realize when you talk to neighbors!
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 07-03-20, 08:43 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
Time to invite him out on a ride?

Just found out my neighbor of 4 years also rides a road bike recreationally. The things you realize when you talk to neighbors!
My one neighbor of nearly 2 years and family ride bikes. Not socializing with them because they don't like dogs.
Old 07-04-20, 12:14 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
My one neighbor of nearly 2 years and family ride bikes. Not socializing with them because they don't like dogs.
Username checks out.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 07-06-20, 06:32 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi, Neighbor!...
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I was 8 miles from the house and one mile from the office when my cell phone rang. I wear an earbud and clicked to answer the call.

"Hey Bob it's your neighbor, R______."
Over the years, I have posted about (friendly) encounters, including acquaintances,Anyone been honked at lately?”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Over the years on my commute I have routinely encountered several people, and I like to give them nicknames …

There was a driver in a windowless white van often approaching in the opposite direction who would give me a friendly toot. This was during the time of the Washington DC sniper who also drove a windowless [white] van, so that driver became the “stalker.”

I eventually met him at a coffee shop I routinely stopped at near my destination... He was very friendly:
"People honking at me triggers my RAGE"

A good piece of advice I read on Bike Forums (for commuters at least) is that as you get closer to work, contain your rage, in case it’s a co-worker, or even your boss.
My most frequent response to a honk not readily identifiable as "friendly," is to reach out my hand, palm up, in an exasperated gesture, and say, "WHAT, WHAT, WHAT...?!!".

Not infrequently I realize the honk was not directed towards me.
Old 07-06-20, 10:22 PM
KatieC

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My mother, who is 60 years old and never exercised consistently or intensely in her life, is always telling me I ride too far and too frequently. I go for a quick 15 mile ride after work and she tells me I am going to harm my heart. 15 miles to her sounds like 15,000 miles.

People who don't ride bikes just don't understand how easily you can put some miles behind you. I took my 7 year old son for ride on Saturday and he rode 18 miles and wasn't even slightly wore out. Biking is as intense as you want to make it.
Likes For KatieC:
Old 07-08-20, 06:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Then he said, "So, your heart must be in good shape." I told him that's my goal.
People always say that to me, but I tell them I've been cycling to work near daily for 8 years now, and haven't lost a pound (except for a while through dieting). But it's gotta be better than sitting on my a$$ in a car.

I hope your neighbor is inspired to try cycling now that he realizes it is within the realm of possibility
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-08-20, 06:31 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
People always say that to me,... but it's gotta be better than sitting on my a$$ in a car....
+Infinity!
Old 07-15-20, 05:37 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Poor neighbor, trapped in that steel cage missing out all the fun