Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trade fat (26x4.0) for 29er

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 10:39 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts

Title says it all. I have a Pugsley that sees most of its use in winter, but I'm thinking of selling it and getting something with 29x2.3-2.5 tires. Why?

Fat tires don't "float". I weigh about 145, the bike is a beast, and at the combined weight they crush the snow underneath, and sometimes "plow" it, grinding me to a halt anyway. I think 29x2.3 would do just as well, probably with less "plowing" effect.

I'm sick of fat bike specific components. Cranks, rims, all the weird allowances for drivetrain. Racks, the complete lack of fenders. Everything. I can outfit a 29er with relatively "standard" parts, and fit a rack and fenders for winter commutes and errands with no problem.

I've got a few months to do some fleet rearranging. Thoughts?
Old 09-28-20, 03:46 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
At 180ish me+bike+gear I find slicing through slush and heavy wet snow a pain on any tires wider than 28mm. I do, though, ride hovering an inch or so above the saddle or fully out of it much of the time. Fun most days, a pain with no sleep.

29er works if it’s got fender mounts.

I typically stick to 27” touring bike frames with aluminum fenders (cracked my third set of SKS longboards in six years and I’m done with plastic) and give them the ole 700c SS conversion as there’s no point in ruining a perfectly good set of derailers in the salty slop.

regarding the fatbike, I’d think your lack of weight would make it ideal for the deep stuff... I wonder if you’re leaving the pressure pumped up way, way too high.

I definitely can’t get into the wide cranks. It makes all of my joints angry after five minutes. Once the snow is above my roadbike’s bottom bracket, it’s time to either stay home or get in a Jeep.