Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New To This

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 07:22 AM
dscottlupus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New To This

Hey everyone, I am just getting into Gravelbiking/cyclocross. The stock out there is very limited and very expensive. I have found a road bike that I was told could be modified gravelbiking and would like some input for a beginner in this. The bike is a Cannondale R500 Caad4. Can anyone comment on specific modification that could be made to this bike for light gravelbiking or if at $300 it is even worth it?
Old 07-13-20, 10:08 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I don't know about that bike specifically but if you can't run at least 32mm tires you should pass. Ideally you'd do at least 38mm.
Old 07-13-20, 11:42 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I don't know the geometry, but generally beginners find road bikes too twitchy to ride on gravel. you want the bike to react slowly on gravel. Not a big deal if you are experienced - you'll just have to adapt.
I'm assuming its rim brake? If so, you'll have a hard time getting anything bigger than 28mm on the bike. Disk brakes really open up the possibilities with tires, and tubeless really opens up possibilities with gravel riding.
If you are looking used, an old cross bike works - usually they can take 35mm tires (or a little bigger on the front).
Old 07-13-20, 11:46 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Could be the right price for a passable road bike (depending on components and condition), but whoever told you this could be converted to a gravel bike is either dishonest or doesn't really know what a gravel bike is. Standard road bike rim brakes on a bike this this will struggle to clear 28mm tires which is not enough, and Cdales from that era will have very tight clearance around fork, bottom bracket, and rear brake bridge. Not to mention the criterium racing geometry will be extremely nervous off-pavement
Old 07-13-20, 01:51 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I don't know the geometry, but generally beginners find road bikes too twitchy to ride on gravel. you want the bike to react slowly on gravel. Not a big deal if you are experienced - you'll just have to adapt.
I'm assuming its rim brake? If so, you'll have a hard time getting anything bigger than 28mm on the bike. Disk brakes really open up the possibilities with tires, and tubeless really opens up possibilities with gravel riding.
If you are looking used, an old cross bike works - usually they can take 35mm tires (or a little bigger on the front).
Great advice. Disc brakes and generally clearance for wider tires preferred. Absence of disc brakes, maybe an older non-suspension mountain bike or hybrid would do. Lots of affordable options in drop bars out there, some with flares. I have a vintage Specialized Hardrock that I was going to convert to drops but decided to keep it stock for historical and sentimental reasons. Heavy steel but a lot of fun.
Old 07-18-20, 07:38 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
This would not be a good conversion even in the best case... What area are you in and what size do you ride? Price range? There are still a few bikes I see around around $1.000 - $1200 out there. It would be hard toi find a used gravel bike now as they are so popular...