Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Noise from drivetrain when riding in lower gears on rear derailleur

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 09:34 AM
Abhi@Singhvi

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain pass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Folks,

Just picked up a MTB & while riding in gears 4/5 on the lower derailleur there is a constant tick tick tick sound, it is not present in gear 6/7 at all.
Observed and it is like 3 times per pedal revolution & very constant harmonic sound.
Checked the cassette and nothing wrong there.
The gear shifting in general is no problem both in the rear and front derailleur.
Any pointers on where to look in the drivetrain?
I've a video but not sure how to upload it here.
TIA friends.
Old 07-21-20, 09:38 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
"Three times per pedal revolution" makes me think it has to do with your rear wheel. I'd put your bike on a work stand or hang it up off the ground and examine the rear wheel closely to see if it's hitting something.
Old 07-21-20, 09:41 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I used to hear an audible pinging from my rear wheel (road bike) when in very low gear (small ring, largest 2-3 sprockets) - the noise wasn't audible in higher gears- possibly because wind noise at higher speeds drowned it out, or, if the sound was spokes loading/unloading as the rear wheel revolved, the wheel speed had to be sufficiently low for the spokes to actually load/unload - something they didn't get the chance to do completely if the wheel was spinning faster. Only other thing I can think of if some gears seem a little rough and others don't is a chainline issue? Is the chain deflection more extreme with the noisy gears than with the quiet ones?
Old 07-21-20, 09:54 AM
Abhi@Singhvi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
"Three times per pedal revolution" makes me think it has to do with your rear wheel. I'd put your bike on a work stand or hang it up off the ground and examine the rear wheel closely to see if it's hitting something.
Thanks and appreciate the quick response -
I will examine the rear wheel & spokes again.
The noise is strong enough tok tok tok kind of noise, i've observed closely and it goes away when riding in higher gears (lowest size cassette on the rear derailleur).
i am trying to see how to share a 10sec video clip here.
Old 07-21-20, 09:57 AM
Abhi@Singhvi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I used to hear an audible pinging from my rear wheel (road bike) when in very low gear (small ring, largest 2-3 sprockets) - the noise wasn't audible in higher gears- possibly because wind noise at higher speeds drowned it out, or, if the sound was spokes loading/unloading as the rear wheel revolved, the wheel speed had to be sufficiently low for the spokes to actually load/unload - something they didn't get the chance to do completely if the wheel was spinning faster. Only other thing I can think of if some gears seem a little rough and others don't is a chainline issue? Is the chain deflection more extreme with the noisy gears than with the quiet ones?
Thanks
The chain deflection if I understand correctly would be the angle of chain between front and rear derailleur? if yes than it's not that bad in the gears when the noise is heard.
I will check the rear wheel and examine the spokes also.
What could be a possible chainline issue, any pointers?
I've had this bike since past 10 days and just did 1 trail ride and few road trips with it.
Thanks
Old 07-21-20, 10:07 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
If the bike is new, then it could simply be that your rear derailleur is moving out of adjustment as the RD cable stretches. This is completely normal - a characteristic of a cable-operated system rather than a fault, and one that is easily adjusted out. Many/most shops offer a free 30-day tune-up just to cover things like this. Depending on the system, this might manifest itself more in some gears than others. If I was in your shoes (and I had a bike stand or some way of suspending the bike), I might put the bike through its gears while looking at how the RD is aligning with the sprocket at each gear setting. If the top jockey wheel is not exactly in line with the chosen sprocket when viewed from the rear of the bike, then you can tweak it using the RD cable barrel adjuster - there are any number of YouTubes addressing RD adjustment. If this isn't your bag, take it to the shop and have them look at it - an RD tweak is a 5 minute job.
Old 07-21-20, 10:57 AM
Abhi@Singhvi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
If the bike is new, then it could simply be that your rear derailleur is moving out of adjustment as the RD cable stretches. This is completely normal - a characteristic of a cable-operated system rather than a fault, and one that is easily adjusted out. Many/most shops offer a free 30-day tune-up just to cover things like this. Depending on the system, this might manifest itself more in some gears than others. If I was in your shoes (and I had a bike stand or some way of suspending the bike), I might put the bike through its gears while looking at how the RD is aligning with the sprocket at each gear setting. If the top jockey wheel is not exactly in line with the chosen sprocket when viewed from the rear of the bike, then you can tweak it using the RD cable barrel adjuster - there are any number of YouTubes addressing RD adjustment. If this isn't your bag, take it to the shop and have them look at it - an RD tweak is a 5 minute job.
Thanks will do, looking for a bike repair stand & will get my hands on it.. i prefer doing it myself and learn rather than let the bike guy enjoy the fun and learning process
Old 07-21-20, 11:30 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Make sure your chain is correct, and not rubbing on any metal - at all!
Old 07-21-20, 11:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Abhi@Singhvi
i am trying to see how to share a 10sec video clip here.
Post video to youtube or some other streaming service, then post the link here.

It will look like this when you are writing your post:

BUt look like this after you've posted it:
Old 07-22-20, 05:49 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Might also be a sign of a slightly bent derailleur hanger.

Another thought - chain can make some noise on less used cogs; the frequently used cogs would be worn down a bit together with the chain, while the less used are still like new and don't mesh perfectly with a slightly worn chain anymore. That kind of wear can be invisible to the eye. However, it's usually the smallest and largest cogs that see less use than the middle of the cassette, but it might vary with gearing, preferred cadence, terrain etc.
Old 07-22-20, 06:14 AM
Danno85

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a similar tic tic tic happening to me and it only happened in a couple gears and seemed to be when I was really cranking on the pedals. I kept readjusting everything and lubed everything I could think of and it drove me nuts. Then on a whim I removed the reflectors from the wheel spokes and that solved it. I couldn’t believe it. Mine was on a Trek FX3.
Old 07-23-20, 10:45 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Make sure your chain is routed correctly around the rear derailleur. I have seen more than one routed wrong, even from a bike store! It should NEVER run over anything but jockey wheels and the rear cassette.