Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why is Rapha so divisive?

Old 07-23-20, 03:47 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
I hope you are proud of how the Amazon employees were treated during covid19

thank you for defending corporate America
Old 07-23-20, 03:49 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
I hope you are proud of how the Amazon employees were treated during covid19

thank you for defending corporate America
Where did I do that? I am just saying you spend a ton of time on here preaching. We get it, you are a morally superior, racing superstar...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 07-23-20, 03:53 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Where did I do that? I am just saying you spend a ton of time on here preaching. We get it, you are a morally superior, racing superstar...
« ton of time »
with 0.08 posts a day, I guess you definition of ton of time is 4 or 5 posts not aligning with your viewpoint.

If you consider responsible purchases morally superior or someone who raced for couple years and talking about it a racing superstar you must be an interesting person to discuss with in a bar of you can’t talk about any previous life experiences or knowledges on responsible consumerism.
Old 07-23-20, 03:54 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
im sure there would be customers who would throw in $1599 for a responsible made smart phone instead of another $1599 triple camera iPhone to benefit stockholders
Would cost much more than that.

FoxConn is contracted...because Apple can literally demand a complete change in say iPhone design/manufacture...and FoxConn can start turning it out en masse in 24 hours....in large part because there are no labor laws; in large part because that kind of manufacturing expertise exists there and not here--and people are desperate enough for work they'll take it. FoxConn is inhumane to its workers--but they are insanely agile: they'd make Henry Ford weep with what they can do...and get away with doing to workers...

The value of the parts in an iPhone is about $250USD to make...all the rest of the retail price is paying the bills and profit. Hence why Apple is so absurdly rich.
Old 07-23-20, 04:03 PM
dr_max

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Would cost much more than that.

FoxConn is contracted...because Apple can literally demand a complete change in say iPhone design/manufacture...and FoxConn can start turning it out en masse in 24 hours....in large part because there are no labor laws; in large part because that kind of manufacturing expertise exists there and not here--and people are desperate enough for work they'll take it. FoxConn is inhumane to its workers--but they are insanely agile: they'd make Henry Ford weep with what they can do...and get away with doing to workers...

The value of the parts in an iPhone is about $250USD to make...all the rest of the retail price is paying the bills and profit. Hence why Apple is so absurdly rich.
still surprising Elon Musk is able to do those feats of developing and producing tech and vehicles in America, Bay Area and having 21% of margins with continuous growth. Far from the profit Apple make but still profitable.
Old 07-23-20, 04:03 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
« ton of time »
with 0.08 posts a day, I guess you definition of ton of time is 4 or 5 posts not aligning with your viewpoint.

If you consider responsible purchases morally superior or someone who raced for couple years and talking about it a racing superstar you must be an interesting person to discuss with in a bar of you can’t talk about any previous life experiences or knowledges on responsible consumerism.
You have, shall we say, slightly exceeded your average in the last few months. A number of the threads you've posted in have become locked.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-23-20, 04:05 PM
dr_max

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
You have, shall we say, slightly exceeded your average in the last few months. A number of the threads you've posted in have become locked.
and you were posting with WhyFi in all of them.

all the ones I’m posting and that you are not in are doing extremely well.
Old 07-23-20, 04:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
still surprising Elon Musk is able to do those feats of developing and producing tech and vehicles in America, Bay Area and having 21% of margins with continuous growth. Far from the profit Apple make but still profitable.
This would be the Elon Musk who threatened to pull his entire assembly plant from Alameda County because he didn't want to abide by their COVID guidelines? What a prince.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-23-20, 04:31 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Elon can be an utter twit....but he is a razor-sharp-car-salesman, and I mean that in the slightly pejorative sense of "car salesman". The reason he can have those high profit margins, is in no small part because (we) taxpayers are literally paying it. His Tesla facilities have gotten massive millions- and billions-dollar tax breaks from cities and counties and states and the federal government--because he's a "job creator". Specifically things like property taxes--that pay specifically for things like firefighters and roads and so on....when the property tax pool is dry and there's no money to pay for paving roads, that is why....BTW can say the same thing about churches too, since they and their lands are tax-exempt; which causes massive problems in places like Utah where 50% of city land is Mormon Church property.

Don't get me wrong...Tesla's EV project is a cool bit of engineering and better for the planet.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 07-23-20, 04:34 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

It's also the same Elon Musk who, thus far, has been able to raise arbitrary sums of money from the capital markets and does not need to make money selling anything. Yet. Well, not from selling cars or batteries or whatever else. He's selling a story and an image like a mastermind.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-23-20, 04:38 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
because it’s the metrosexual brand of cycling

if you wear 3/4 pants and comb your mustache, you were born to be the rapha clientèle
TIL people still use the term “metrosexual” and are still uncomfortable with said term.
Old 07-23-20, 04:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Elon can be an utter twit....but he is a razor-sharp-car-salesman, and I mean that in the slightly pejorative sense of "car salesman". The reason he can have those high profit margins, is in no small part because (we) taxpayers are literally paying it. His Tesla facilities have gotten massive millions- and billions-dollar tax breaks from cities and counties and states and the federal government--because he's a "job creator". Specifically things like property taxes--that pay specifically for things like firefighters and roads and so on....when the property tax pool is dry and there's no money to pay for paving roads, that is why....BTW can say the same thing about churches too, since they and their lands are tax-exempt; which causes massive problems in places like Utah where 50% of city land is Mormon Church property.

Don't get me wrong...Tesla's EV project is a cool bit of engineering and better for the planet.
This is exactly why pro golfers are a sham.. they go out on a course and they have hundreds of people out in the fairway and rough to find their ball after their drives. I'd probably shoot 10 under par if I had that kinda help.
Old 07-23-20, 05:01 PM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
To the OP, it seems like threads about Rapha somehow are divisive too.
Likes For mattscq:
Old 07-23-20, 05:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This is exactly why pro golfers are a sham.. they go out on a course and they have hundreds of people out in the fairway and rough to find their ball after their drives. I'd probably shoot 10 under par if I had that kinda help.

You play pro level golf, except that you lose your ball a lot??
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-23-20, 05:33 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
You know, there is an ignore list...
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-23-20, 08:16 PM
dr_max

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It's also the same Elon Musk who, thus far, has been able to raise arbitrary sums of money from the capital markets and does not need to make money selling anything. Yet. Well, not from selling cars or batteries or whatever else. He's selling a story and an image like a mastermind.
I guess you never read on the story

https://teslainvestor.blogspot.com/2...-tesla-is.html
Old 07-23-20, 08:23 PM
dr_max

I don’t know the numbers but oil subsidies for job creation are significant too.
and many of the car manufacturers went bankrupt or got bailed out by the tax payers in their history.
I guess tax breaks is mandatory to be able to successfully start an automobile company these days.
Old 07-23-20, 08:51 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
making popcorn non-stop and have perfected the salt/butter ratio.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-23-20, 10:59 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not really into watches, but once wondered into a fancy store (Cherry Creek Mall, in Denver) while the wife and daughter were shopping for clothes. The manager chatted me up, and I asked "Which is the most expensive watch in the shop?" He led me over to a special display, got out his key and unlocked, reached in for a watch, and held it out for me to examine while saying "This one is $122,000." I did not dare touch the watch.

I believe it may have been a Patek, but I do recall with certainty that it was a tourbillion. I don't know what that means, but that's what it was.
The good (or bad) thing about watches is that no matter how well off you are, there is always a segment of watches you are too poor to own. My dream watch is by a German brand called Lange & Sohn, and costs $200k (it's called a Terra Luns, for those who want to google it and perhaps gift one to me). No way i can afford it. I bought a different Lange and i did try it out. The salesperson was hovering around me, ready to pounce if my hand even quivered a bit.... (I hope he was able to wipe my drool off it).

Originally Posted by genejockey
I could never, ever imagine wearing a watch that valuable, but knowing somebody takes the trouble to make them - I like that.
You'll appreciate this:
https://www.livemint.com/Leisure/lPl...g-watches.html
Fully handmade with obsessive attention to detail.

Are you still able to get parts for servicing your watches, given the alleged crackdown on spares availability from the Swatch group?

Last edited by guadzilla; 07-23-20 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 11:03 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
unless they pay their workers $25 an hour and are positively engaged in making the world a better place
What do you have against people in developing countries bettering their lives and trying to get out of poverty?

I would argue setting up a factory and offering employment to people who need it the most does more to make the world a better place than pontificating on the interwebz.
Old 07-24-20, 01:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Are you still able to get parts for servicing your watches, given the alleged crackdown on spares availability from the Swatch group?
See, the thing about collecting and working on 60+ year old American watches, made by companies that have been out of business since the Nixon Administration is that I don't depend on the Swiss for parts.

Unfortunately, this is because NOBODY is still making the parts. BUT, America used to have thousands of watchmakers, in every neigborhood of every city and most towns. They've almost all retired, but people have acquired their parts stocks and you'll find an amazing amount of New Old Stock material on Ebay. There are also a couple vendors who have large stocks of parts acquired from watchmaker's estates, and if you have deep pockets, you can find parts at some of the supply houses like O Frei.

But most of the watches don't need new parts. A surprisingly high percentage just need cleaning - old oils congeal, dirt gets in. I figure, decades ago, some guy's watch started gaining time, so he went to a watchmaker who said he could service it and get it running accurately again for $50. "Fifty Dollars!" cried the owner, "I can get one of these quartz watches for $10!", so he threw it in a drawer during the Reagan Administration. 30-40 years pass, the guy dies or moves into The Home, and his kids sell off his stuff, including an old watch that doesn't run. "Maybe it needs a new battery?" they think, knowing nothing of mechanical watches.

There - that's more than you ever wanted to know about bottomfeeding American vintage watches.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-24-20, 04:32 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I guess you never read on the story

https://teslainvestor.blogspot.com/2...-tesla-is.html
https://flatearthresearch.blogspot.com/
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-24-20, 05:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Hello. What’s this thread about?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-24-20, 05:44 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

I don’t know the numbers but oil subsidies for job creation are significant too.
and many of the car manufacturers went bankrupt or got bailed out by the tax payers in their history.
I guess tax breaks is mandatory to be able to successfully start an automobile company these days.
Common thing in many industries. Hence why I mentioned churches earlier.

When an NFL or NBA arena is built.....they not only get tax breaks--there's often municipal bonds to cover construction. Which if that sounds desperate and absurd given the profitability of the NFL and NBA....that is because it is. Especially given that once built, most arena employees are all PT on-call AND min-wage without any benefits for sporting events.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Hello. What’s this thread about?
Something repetitive and trivial, so we're changing the topic to something more interesting
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 07-24-20, 05:48 AM
dr_max

Originally Posted by guadzilla
What do you have against people in developing countries bettering their lives and trying to get out of poverty?

I would argue setting up a factory and offering employment to people who need it the most does more to make the world a better place than pontificating on the interwebz.
You don’t understand my point.

companies should offer a descend salary for the work of their employees, local or abroad. Customers should be ready to pay the extra price.

same principle between Walmart offering minimum wage and Costco offering over $20 an hour for their employees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.