Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacement wheels for Easton EA90SLX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-23-20, 11:12 AM
maltosenegative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently picked up a '99 Litespeed Classic with Campy Record buildout for somewhere between nothing and a steal. I got it as my One Bike, and have been using it for long commutes in NYC. The only downside were the Eastons on it, which ride great, but I had seen all the reviews from when they first came out, and true to form I'm two spokes down in a week (rear drive side, popped in the middle). I'm not going to bother with them at this point, and am looking in the ~$300 range for something around 1400g and bombproof.

Looking through the message board I saw some good reviews of old Campy Nucleons. They can be had used in good condition and in my budget. Anybody have experience with them more recently, or have any other recommendations for ways to pick up a set of inexpensive bomb-proof fast rollers? Spoke count is not a consideration.
Old 07-23-20, 11:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
1400g, bomb-proof and cheap? Good luck.
Old 07-23-20, 11:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
1400g, bomb-proof and cheap? Good luck.
"Strong. Light. Cheap. Choose any two." - Keith Bontrager(?)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-23-20, 11:49 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Vuelta Corsa Lite. Strong and light (1570g pair) Not sure who has these in stock. If you can find them they should be about $300. I have them on 2 bikes and I'm not light.

Campy hubs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vuelta-Cors...oAAOSwxTlc41Pf
Likes For Frank72:
Old 07-23-20, 01:09 PM
maltosenegative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank72
Vuelta Corsa Lite. Strong and light (1570g pair) Not sure who has these in stock. If you can find them they should be about $300. I have them on 2 bikes and I'm not light.
Cool. Where do you normally ride them? Nice roads, or potholes paved with glass?
Old 07-23-20, 01:30 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I ride them everywhere including rough roads and pot holes. I did some checking and Corsa lites are either out or discontinued not sure may just be the run on bike stuff. The set on ebay is new and I'm not the seller. I found them really tough. I ride about a hundred miles a week.
Likes For Frank72:
Old 07-24-20, 04:12 PM
maltosenegative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. After a bit more research I decided that the thing I liked about the Eastons was their acceleration, so lower weight became a priority, and brand name less and less so. I'm trying some BWW Blackset Race 28's with the 30 spoke count on the rear, so sub-1500g for $375. My only concern there is their house hub and its durability, but we'll see once they show up. If I don't like those I'll probably look at some used Vueltas.

In the meantime I popped ANOTHER spoke on the Eastons, and can't wait to get something- anything- else and get riding confidently again.
Old 07-24-20, 05:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
At this point all of the remaining spokes have been stressed by picking up the slack from the ones that are no longer with us. You're probably going to break more.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-24-20, 07:03 PM
maltosenegative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
At this point all of the remaining spokes have been stressed by picking up the slack from the ones that are no longer with us. You're probably going to break more.
RIP spokes. You rolled true, you rolled well. Except for you drive side ****ers, you sucked.
Old 07-24-20, 07:06 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by maltosenegative
My only concern there is their house hub and its durability, but we'll see once they show up. If I don't like those I'll probably look at some used Vueltas.
“These wheels are built with top quality Sapim Dlight 2.0/1.65mm black stainless butted spokes, and silver alloy nipples, laced to one of the best road hub sets that doesn't say Dura-Ace that we've ever built with.”

And yet I have no idea what those hubs are. Any leads?
Old 07-24-20, 07:13 PM
maltosenegative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
“These wheels are built with top quality Sapim Dlight 2.0/1.65mm black stainless butted spokes, and silver alloy nipples, laced to one of the best road hub sets that doesn't say Dura-Ace that we've ever built with.”

And yet I have no idea what those hubs are. Any leads?
It's their "Pure" hub, which is their baseline and then you can upgrade to dura ace or whatever, though on Campy the Pure is your only option, which is annoying. I'd imagine I could send them the hubs I wanted and they'd sew the rims on, but in terms of cost effectiveness this was the way to go. My understanding is they're Taiwanese no-name hubs that these guys get built to spec for a dime. Saw a few complaints from a decade ago about bearing wear on the rear hub, but no complaints since then.
Old 07-25-20, 04:12 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by maltosenegative
It's their "Pure" hub, which is their baseline and then you can upgrade to dura ace or whatever, though on Campy the Pure is your only option, which is annoying. I'd imagine I could send them the hubs I wanted and they'd sew the rims on, but in terms of cost effectiveness this was the way to go. My understanding is they're Taiwanese no-name hubs that these guys get built to spec for a dime. Saw a few complaints from a decade ago about bearing wear on the rear hub, but no complaints since then.
Ah ok. https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Co...-Set-311g.html

Seems reasonable. I'd argue that there isn't much to making a good cartridge hub these days (inb4 people who spent $700 on hubs say I'm wrong). The hardest part is making good bearings, which are easy to source. As long as the tolerances are fairly decent, you'll be alright.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 08-06-20, 03:12 PM
maltosenegative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: Have had the wheels a little less than a week and am generally happy with them. Weight is as advertised (~1460g), build is good and wheels are properly stressed. The hubs started off a little tight but have worn in nicely without any play. They spin up fast and roll forever, which is what a wheel is supposed to do, right? No true issues after jumping a few curbs and running down some dirt paths.

Given that I'm going from a wheelset that retailed for ~1K to <$400 there have to be some tradeoffs, and that's lateral stiffness and looks. The Eastons were incredibly stiff, but the front BWW (20 spoke) is pretty noodly. Given that, I'm keeping the Easton front, as it's never had a problem, and the BWW rear which is great with the higher spoke count. In the looks department, the glossy rims look a little cheap-plasticky, and since I'm doing some paint work on the bike I may do something about that.

In all, for a handmade wheelset, BWW is a very solid budget option, though as a do-over I might just spend the money on a rear wheel and get a name brand (assuming one could get lucky on a used wheel). Thanks for the help, all.