Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Domane SL5 Frame Compartment

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-27-20, 10:26 PM
shed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

How do you get the inner tube, 2 tire levers, 2 CO2 containers, valve adapter and small trek tool into it?

I have the bottanger roll up thing but can't make the inner tube work in that; it's just too fat.

Anyone with some serious Tardis skills manage to make a full flat repair kit work?
Old 07-28-20, 04:48 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Watch this video on how to bag the tool roll.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 07-28-20, 05:34 AM
mc2002tii

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The tool kit goes in the compartment door, not the bag. Also, if you get any air in the tube it won't flatten out (this was my first bike with a presta valve so I made the mistake of opening the valve to see how it worked and discovered that the tube immediately sucks in some air; it took me a while to squeeze it all out again).

Ultimately, I only got one CO2 canister and one tire lever in the bag, so I carry the extras in a baggie in my jersey if I'm going more than a few miles from home. If I had the Bontrager tire levers I probably could have gotten both in, but the ones I have are too thick.
Old 07-31-20, 02:18 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I have to say, the Domane is very enticing on that aspect alone. If the geometry is right I would look to that bike as a possible new ride.
Old 07-31-20, 04:01 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I don't think you can put 2 CO2 cartridges in there unless you put one in the pocket where the levers are supposed to go but maybe you could squeeze it in if you only had 1 lever. 1 Tube, 1 CO2 cartridge, 3 Schwalbe levers & CO2 Filler Head fit fine in mine and it is pretty easy to get in and out. I bought the (overpriced) Bontrager multi-tool so I could store it in the holder on the back side of the hatch cover. Expensive but very convenient. I carry a couple of extra CO2 cartridges and a few odds and ends in a Lezyne Caddy Sack - Small in one of my jersey pockets. Very happy with the frame storage since it allowed me to get rid of my seat bag. And I now have a Flare RT taillight mounted under the seat on the seat post knuckle with the provided mount which is another great idea IMHO. Helps clean up the looks of the bike a bunch. I also ended up going with the Blendr mounts in the front for my Ion 200 blinky light and Edge 830 computer.
Old 08-01-20, 04:37 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I’m also liking the frame storage. Since I went tubeless from the start, I’ve not had to pack a tube. I have the Botranger multi tool too. Also pack two CO2 carts and inflator head plus some cash. That’s it. I also have the Flare RT taillight plus the Ion headlight. I have them synced to my Felix 5X so that when I pick the bike profile it forms a network and turns them on. Pretty cool.
Old 08-02-20, 02:07 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Are there third party products taking advantage of this compartment yet? Batteries or hip flasks come to mind. Perhaps not in that order.