Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Magnetic Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 01:49 PM
flacplnj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Magnetic Pedals

Who has experience with magnetic pedals? I currently clip in with Walbro pedals,but the idea of getting close to the same attachment (or so they say) with magnets is intriguing.
The limited research I have done comes up with three manufacturers, MagPed, MagLock and soon to be released REM by Hustle Labs .Comments, recommendations or ?
Old 07-29-20, 06:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,906 Posts
I could only imagine the weight that they'd be for meeting a low level of attachment might be less attractive compared to typical pedals commonly used.
then theres the collection of random road debris as you ride. Could be rewarding if you're a metal recyclist.
Old 07-29-20, 09:39 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5473963A
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-30-20, 08:20 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I know a few recumbent riders that prefer Maglocks to other clip in systems. The biggest advantage seems to be that you can place your feet at any angle that is comfortable.

It's nice on trikes because once you're situated, you don't have to remove your feet until you're ready to get off the trike.

I've almost forgot to unclip a few times when switching back to my bike from the velomobile....
Old 07-30-20, 08:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have never used them, but I can imagine that if they use the magnets used in computer hard drives, there is a huge attraction to hold you foot in place. I have some magnets out of computer hard drives that are probably samarium, and if you put them on a piece of iron you have to use a screwdriver to pry them off.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-30-20, 07:01 PM
flacplnj

MagLock has a demo program that allows you to try out their pedals for 30 days. It isn't free. If I decide to return them it is going to cost me around $30.00. I figured I might as well give them a try.
Old 07-31-20, 09:37 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Report back, and thanks for taking one for the forum.

I had no idea these even existed. Maybe what they need are light-weight electromagnets that release at stand-still.
Old 08-06-20, 05:05 PM
flacplnj

Old 08-06-20, 05:31 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Do you think the magnets in the pedals would interfere with sensors (i.e. speed, cadence, power) on the bike? I would hope the manufacturer has thought of this already, but I wonder about it. Maybe the amount of interference would be dependent on the orientation of the pedals' magnetic fields relative to the sensors? It's interesting to think about, in any case.
Old 08-06-20, 05:42 PM
flacplnj

I have ridden the MagLock pedals for 78 miles. I knew going in that the big negative was going to be the weight of the pedals. The spec weight of these pedals is 1172 grams with cleats. I liked the attachment to my bike. It is close to the Wellgo clipless pedal that I currently use. I have chosen to return these pedals.

There is a company by the name of MagPed that also market a magnetic pedal. The MagPed pedal incorporates a titanium shaft, which has to cut down on the weight along with the physical size of the pedal. The MagPed pedal is considerably smaller than the MagLock pedal. The advertised weight for the MagPed Ultra is 372 grams, which puts it in line with most standard pedals. The attractive force of this pedal is comparable to the MagLock.The price is $208.00 for the MagPed. They don't offer a demo program, so buy it and like it or sell it.

Hustle Bike Labs is due to release a magnetic pedal later this year. At present I haven't seen any specifications on their pedal.

I am still contemplating my decision. I like the concept of being attached to your bike, but not. If that makes sense?

At the very least I do feel this is an expanding technology with great possibilities.

Last edited by flacplnj; 08-06-20 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 05:58 PM
flacplnj

That is a very good question. Like you,I would hope that would have been taken in consideration in their design.
Old 10-15-23, 09:32 AM
hawkeyejuly

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mag ped wins ove mag lock

I have an ankle injury- they say I need to get it replaced but I'm not there yet. Ankle made it hard to clip in on the mtb, so I gave both of these a try. Ive clipped in for 15 yrs so going to flats was hard. I bought both. Mag Ped with the upgraded shoe plate and magnet attach way stronger 30% at least. They have a smaller magnet attachment point, weigh less, and have more pins like a regular flat pedal. They even have a "click;' that happens when you're in the right spot that reminds me of my usual SPD's

The Maglock shoe plate is larger and more protruding and the pedal has a large plate that creates a slippery surfance- the plate is there so you can add/ remove magnets - I don't see why you'd remove magnets as its really not very strong to begin with. look up specs but Maglock feels heavier

How do they ride
I do find myself slipping off them on occasion in rougher stops but that's just bad form from being clipped in an cheating all these years. I had to re learn how to bunny hop ha ha

Getting " out" of them is actually a similar motion to SPD's of if you pull up harder they release too

For people either scared of being clipped in- we've all had a O' #$it moment - new riders or those used to flats that want just a bit more attachment I think these are awesome. I also love that they dont clog, I''ll probably get a pair for my fat bike for winter riding.

side note I expected the pedals to get " hariry" with iron from the soil in areas that have that but i haven't experienced it so far.

Hope this helps
Likes For hawkeyejuly:
Old 10-16-23, 05:54 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I could only imagine the weight that they'd be for meeting a low level of attachment might be less attractive compared to typical pedals commonly used.
then theres the collection of random road debris as you ride. Could be rewarding if you're a metal recyclist.
Opens up some new options for bike storage too, I expect.