Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek Serial Number Decoding?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-04-20, 08:42 AM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

Does anyone know a resource for decoding late-model (not vintage) Trek serial numbers? I'm trying to figure out if the Domane I bought in June is a 2020 or 2021 model. From what I have been able to find out, the last digit in the serial number ('R' in my case) is supposedly a year code, but I don't know what year 'R' corresponds to, or whether that's a model year or a calendar year. I don't know if there are any differences between the 2020 and 2021 Domane, and I think my bike's color (Crystal White) was offered both years.
Old 08-04-20, 09:15 AM
ScottRiqui

Originally Posted by GlennR
[Admin edit: Someone's personal email and number, requested to be removed]
I tried that first, but got an expected wait time of almost three hours, with no callback option. And my LBS where I bought the bike has actually stopped answering the phones entirely - they're using every warm body in the shop to either work on bikes or deal with the line of customers outside.

UPDATE: I called again and got a much shorter estimated wait time so I stuck it out. The rep said that the first three digits after the "WTU" represent the production day (so "045" would be the 45th day of the year), the two letters in the middle represent the manufacturing plant code, the next four numbers represent the bike's position in that day's production run, and the final letter represents the model year (mine turned out to be a 2021 model year).

So a serial number of WTU060QU0110R would represent a 2021 model year bike that was the 110th bike made in the "QU" factory on the 60th day of the year. Interestingly, the actual model information doesn't appear to be encoded anywhere in the serial number.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 01-08-21 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Updated with new information
Old 08-04-20, 10:59 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I tried that first, but got an expected wait time of almost three hours, with no callback option. And my LBS where I bought the bike has actually stopped answering the phones entirely - they're using every warm body in the shop to either work on bikes or deal with the line of customers outside.

UPDATE: I called again and got a much shorter estimated wait time so I stuck it out. The rep said that the first three digits after the "WTU" represent the production day (so "045" would be the 45th day of the year), the two letters in the middle represent the manufacturing plant code, the next four numbers represent the bike's position in that day's production run, and the final letter represents the model year (mine turned out to be a 2021 model year).

So a serial number of WTU060QU0110R would represent a 2021 model year bike that was the 110th bike made in the "QU" factory on the 60th day of the year. Interestingly, the actual model information doesn't appear to be encoded anywhere in the serial number.
Good info, thanks. So if "R" = 2021, what letters represent other years?

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 08-04-20, 11:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

Anyone find it a bit humorous that a bike made on March 1st (about) of this year is a 2021 model ? Actually I think you have a 'leap bike'.. I believe the 60th day of the year was Feb 29th.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-04-20, 11:52 AM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Anyone find it a bit humorous that a bike made on March 1st (about) of this year is a 2021 model ? Actually I think you have a 'leap bike'.. I believe the 60th day of the year was Feb 29th.
I heard the 2024's are coming out this fall!) Skipping 2022 and 2023 altogether.

Glenn
Old 08-04-20, 12:25 PM
ScottRiqui

Originally Posted by GAtkins
Good info, thanks. So if "R" = 2021, what letters represent other years?

Thanks.

Glenn
I found a recall bulletin from Trek that says that a final serial number character of "D" represents the 2009 model year. Going forward from that (and skipping "I" and "O" as many manufacturers do because they look too much like 1 and 0), I get this, which matches up with 'R' representing the 2021 model year:

D - 2009
E - 2010
F - 2011
G - 2012
H - 2013
J - 2014
K - 2015
L - 2016
M - 2017
N - 2018
P - 2019
Q - 2020
R - 2021
Old 08-04-20, 12:33 PM
GAtkins

I found a recall bulletin from Trek that says that a final serial number character of "D" represents the 2009 model year. Going forward from that (and skipping "I" and "O" as many manufacturers do because they look too much like 1 and 0), I get this, which matches up with 'R' representing the 2021 model year:

D - 2009
E - 2010
F - 2011
G - 2012
H - 2013
J - 2014
K - 2015
L - 2016
M - 2017
N - 2018
P - 2019
Q - 2020
R - 2021

Thank you. Makes sense....I worked at furniture store a hundred years ago when I was a kid and all the prices were hand marked on a hang-tag. Our cost on a particular item was written as "Don't be lazy", corresponding to 1 through zero, respectively. So if our cost on some item was $195, our cost would be coded as DZB on the tag. This allowed us to negotiate on various items within certain limits. Pretty clever I thought.

Glenn

Glenn
Likes For GAtkins:
Old 08-04-20, 12:48 PM
ScottRiqui

Originally Posted by GAtkins
Thank you. Makes sense....I worked at furniture store a hundred years ago when I was a kid and all the prices were hand marked on a hang-tag. Our cost on a particular item was written as "Don't be lazy", corresponding to 1 through zero, respectively. So if our cost on some item was $195, our cost would be coded as DZB on the tag. This allowed us to negotiate on various items within certain limits. Pretty clever I thought.
Glenn
We did something similar in the Navy when we wanted to broadcast coordinates over the radio but couldn't use an encrypted channel - We'd use a ten-letter word with no repeated letters, with each letter representing 1 through 0. Not really "secure" in any meaningful sense of the word, but it was good enough for training flights.

The Hasselblad camera company uses that scheme for the date codes on its cameras and film magazines, too. "VHPICTURES" (For "Victor Hasselblad Pictures") translates to 1234567890. Kodak did the same thing for its lenses and camera bodies for a while too, using CAMEROSITY as the code word.
Old 08-04-20, 12:52 PM
GAtkins

We did something similar in the Navy when we wanted to broadcast coordinates over the radio but couldn't use an encrypted channel - We'd use a ten-letter word with no repeated letters, with each letter representing 1 through 0. Not really "secure" in any meaningful sense of the word, but it was good enough for training flights.

The Hasselblad camera company uses that scheme for the date codes on its cameras and film magazines, too. "VHPICTURES" (For "Victor Hasselblad Pictures") translates to 1234567890. Kodak did the same thing for its lenses and camera bodies for a while too, using CAMEROSITY as the code word.
Interesting stuff, I did not know that.

Thank you for your service.

Glenn
Old 08-04-20, 04:22 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I'm not sure that is correct.

My 2020 model Domane SLR 7 P1 was made at the end of Jan. 2020 and I picked it up at the dealer in Feb. 6th but the S/N ends in "R". The rest of it makes sense but it seems "R" is a 2020.
Old 08-04-20, 04:53 PM
daveton

Bikes: Trek checkpoint ALR 5. Trek Domane SL 6 Etap

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Not sure what the letters relate to but I own a 2021 Checkpoint and the last letters in the serial number is “P” I know my bike is a 2021 because of the colour. Cheers
Old 08-04-20, 05:21 PM
ScottRiqui

Originally Posted by August West
I'm not sure that is correct.

My 2020 model Domane SLR 7 P1 was made at the end of Jan. 2020 and I picked it up at the dealer in Feb. 6th but the S/N ends in "R". The rest of it makes sense but it seems "R" is a 2020.
My bike dates to mid-February production (the actual date code is 044 - the "060" I used upthread was just an example). So mine was made just about two weeks after yours, and the Trek rep I called today verified that it's a 2021.

Maybe the P1 bikes follow a different scheme? I wouldn't bet money on any of this being correct - all I know is that the Trek rep told me this morning that the first part after WTU is the production date, the middle part is the factory code, the last part is the bike's position on the day's production run, and that the 'R' at the end marks my Domane as a 2021.
Old 08-04-20, 05:41 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Maybe the P1 bikes follow a different scheme?
My Project one was ordered November 2014 and delivered January 2015. It has a J at the engine which makes it 2014. It also has a second sticker with a "item number" that has a date of 09/01/2015.

Personally i don't care, it's a awesome bike and if its a 2014 or 2015 just doesn't matter.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-08-21 at 07:05 PM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-04-20, 10:23 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
My bike dates to mid-February production (the actual date code is 044 - the "060" I used upthread was just an example). So mine was made just about two weeks after yours, and the Trek rep I called today verified that it's a 2021.

Maybe the P1 bikes follow a different scheme? I wouldn't bet money on any of this being correct - all I know is that the Trek rep told me this morning that the first part after WTU is the production date, the middle part is the factory code, the last part is the bike's position on the day's production run, and that the 'R' at the end marks my Domane as a 2021.
My date code is 029. Plus there are several other items on the sticker like WO - work order?, Item & Loc. Regardless, I don't really care either and I'm with Glen, it is an awesome bike.
Old 02-18-21, 11:55 AM
ppynenburg

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car companies start building their vehicles in the previous year, and selling them in the previous year, for the following year's model. Bike companies are no different. So I would suggest that his bike was built on February 29th, 2020 (a leap year) for the 2021 model year that likely began in mid-2020.
Old 02-18-21, 12:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by ppynenburg
Car companies start building their vehicles in the previous year, and selling them in the previous year, for the following year's model. Bike companies are no different. So I would suggest that his bike was built on February 29th, 2020 (a leap year) for the 2021 model year that likely began in mid-2020.
Yeah I guess. Though I wonder if the datecode might only be assuredly designating the model year of the frame. Does a serial number go on or before someone chooses which color scheme to paint on it (if these color schemes can change each year). Likewise is frame made before anyone's figured out which parts list to put on the bike (if the trim levels vary from one year to the next)? Or as each frame is made, it's already pre-determined which model year color/trim it will get?
Old 02-18-21, 12:22 PM
ppynenburg

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I guess. Though I wonder if the datecode might only be assuredly designating the model year of the frame. Does a serial number go on or before someone chooses which color scheme to paint on it (if these color schemes can change each year). Likewise is frame made before anyone's figured out which parts list to put on the bike (if the trim levels vary from one year to the next)? Or as each frame is made, it's already pre-determined which model year color/trim it will get?
All good points. Frames could be sitting around quite a while especially now when there are lots of frames available but shortages of shifters and brakes
Old 02-28-21, 07:08 AM
wesmon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you can help me out. I trek 5200 I have has the serial number as WL1762459
What year would that be? Can I tell the size from that?
Old 09-02-21, 07:58 AM
SherlockTrek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek serial numbers

in case this may help others narrow down the year indicated by their Trek S/N...my Trek Fuel EX 9.8 XT ends with an "S" - but I bought it in July 2021. So, I'm thinking it's a 2021. which throws the Letter/Year list above off a bit. Just FYI....