Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selle Anatomica H2 - 500 Mile Review

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-05-20, 07:20 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts

After many years of skepticism and curiosity about leather saddles I purchased a Selle Anatomica H2 and a Gilles Berthoud Aravis for my brand new custom Surly Ogre. This is my 500-mile review of the H2. I absolutely love it!!!

Setup was easy. I put it atop a Promax SP-1 seatpost, which has a 20mm setback and a 2-bolt adjustment head. The angle is just slightly nose-up, and despite the setback seatpost I had to push the saddle all the way back on its rails. However, I had just enough room to get it properly positioned.

For my first ride on the H2 I planned a 50-mile route (all paved surfaces), but it was so comfortable I ended up riding 87 miles. Selle Anatomica's claims about the flex and movement is spot on even though the leather is fairly rigid. You don't really feel the movement of the leather top as you're riding. You just feel a constant and very comfortable support under your butt. As my ride progressed I never felt my sit bones or any part of my soft tissue compress against the leather top. For me, compression discomfort is very common with synthetic saddles that utilize a hard bottom shell (which is the vast majority).

I now have 500 miles on the saddle, including one century ride, and the H2 is awesome! No more chaffing, no compression discomfort, and even for long rides my need for chamois cream has been dramatically reduced.

As for the shape of the saddle, it's definitely a "hammock". It feels more like I'm "in" the saddle rather than "on" the saddle. Because of the hammock shape it's not a saddle that affords much movement, but that's not an issue for me. As long as I'm planted in the right position I don't mind being planted.

With roughly 200 miles on the saddle I did have to add tension to the tension bolt, as the leather had taken on more of a hammock-shape. After adding tension the saddle definitley felt more firm with much less of a hammock, but this translated into some testicle discomfort that lasted 20-25 miles... and then the discomfort was gone.

In the photo below I used the picnic tabletop to show the hammock shape of the saddle as well as the level of the saddle. While it is slightly nose-up it feels slightly nose-down, which I attribute to the hammock shape. Between 200 and 500 miles I've made no adjustments, but I expect I'll need to re-tension the leather top one or two more times before it stops stretching.

Based on my pre-purchase conversations with Selle Anatomica I learned their saddles are not intended for decades of use. In fact, the expected life of the leather top is only 2-3 years for someone (like me) that rides 200-300 miles per week. I was surprised and disappointed by that feedback from Selle Anatomica, but after riding the saddle I'll happily swap my leather top every 2-3 years to maintain such a high level of comfort.

I'll post a review of the Gilles Berthoud Aravis once I reach 500 miles. So far I've just done one ride on the Gilles Berthoud, but that first ride was 122 miles! Yeah baby!!!
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 08-05-20, 07:25 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have both of those, as well as a B-17, so I am interested in hearing your comparisons.

The only issue I have had with the Sella Anatomica is that the edge of the leather on mine is a bit sharp, and could benefit from being rounded off. I don't have the leather-crafting skills to do this without making a mess of it. My kid has had one for several years and it is still going strong.

As for adjustment, you use a 6mm hex wrench, which is convenient, because that slot should be about 6mm at its narrowest point, so you can measure it with your allen key.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-05-20, 07:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My H2 has over 11,000 miles on it, and still has most of the adjustment bolt unused. I don't think they have a definable lifespan.

I fitted an R2 on my most recent build (end of April,) currently only 1,050 miles on it.
Old 08-05-20, 08:14 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I have 1500 miles on mine and haven't needed to turn the adjustment bolt for awhile. Once I got it dialed in it is pretty comfortable.
Likes For Gundo:
Old 08-06-20, 06:13 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
I've wondered about the performance of both of these saddles. It'll be interesting to hear how it goes with the Gilles. I just ordered my second Brooks Imperial..the first one has been very good to me.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-06-20, 08:59 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Berthoud

Originally Posted by Cycletography
After many years of skepticism and curiosity about leather saddles I purchased a Selle Anatomica H2 and a Gilles Berthoud Aravis for my brand new custom Surly Ogre. This is my 500-mile review of the H2. I absolutely love it!!!

Setup was easy. I put it atop a Promax SP-1 seatpost, which has a 20mm setback and a 2-bolt adjustment head. The angle is just slightly nose-up, and despite the setback seatpost I had to push the saddle all the way back on its rails. However, I had just enough room to get it properly positioned.

For my first ride on the H2 I planned a 50-mile route (all paved surfaces), but it was so comfortable I ended up riding 87 miles. Selle Anatomica's claims about the flex and movement is spot on even though the leather is fairly rigid. You don't really feel the movement of the leather top as you're riding. You just feel a constant and very comfortable support under your butt. As my ride progressed I never felt my sit bones or any part of my soft tissue compress against the leather top. For me, compression discomfort is very common with synthetic saddles that utilize a hard bottom shell (which is the vast majority).

I now have 500 miles on the saddle, including one century ride, and the H2 is awesome! No more chaffing, no compression discomfort, and even for long rides my need for chamois cream has been dramatically reduced.

As for the shape of the saddle, it's definitely a "hammock". It feels more like I'm "in" the saddle rather than "on" the saddle. Because of the hammock shape it's not a saddle that affords much movement, but that's not an issue for me. As long as I'm planted in the right position I don't mind being planted.

With roughly 200 miles on the saddle I did have to add tension to the tension bolt, as the leather had taken on more of a hammock-shape. After adding tension the saddle definitley felt more firm with much less of a hammock, but this translated into some testicle discomfort that lasted 20-25 miles... and then the discomfort was gone.

In the photo below I used the picnic tabletop to show the hammock shape of the saddle as well as the level of the saddle. While it is slightly nose-up it feels slightly nose-down, which I attribute to the hammock shape. Between 200 and 500 miles I've made no adjustments, but I expect I'll need to re-tension the leather top one or two more times before it stops stretching.

Based on my pre-purchase conversations with Selle Anatomica I learned their saddles are not intended for decades of use. In fact, the expected life of the leather top is only 2-3 years for someone (like me) that rides 200-300 miles per week. I was surprised and disappointed by that feedback from Selle Anatomica, but after riding the saddle I'll happily swap my leather top every 2-3 years to maintain such a high level of comfort.

I'll post a review of the Gilles Berthoud Aravis once I reach 500 miles. So far I've just done one ride on the Gilles Berthoud, but that first ride was 122 miles! Yeah baby!!!
I've had b-17, currently running several cambium carveds, and started out on a SA X1. I really did like the SA, though it seemed like I was frequently coming into contact with the edges of the frame as the saddle sagged, and it bled on clothing like crazy.

I'm contemplating going back to SA with the X2 series (reviews of their rubber ones didn't sound quite as wonderful as I'd hoped I would read), or one of the carved Berthouds. So, really interested to hear your review of the Berthoud too. Not sure I want to drop $300 a saddle for my entire fleet, but maybe if it were the absolute bomb....

There are some knicker options i'd like to try, but they are upfront that the abrasive nature of my current saddle (cambium) isn't compatible...and I already know that the b-17, while seemed good a few years ago, seems entirely not so any longer.
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 08-06-20, 03:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
On a lark, I swapped out the R2 on my SSCX for my previously-on-sabbatical H2, just to see if there's a noticeable difference in ride quality. The short answer is... absolutely. The R2 gives up quite a lot to achieve weatherproofing. As I've pretty much sworn off of rain riding (every time it rains, I either fall down, or get a tire-destroying glass cut) I'm thinking the H2 is back in service for the foreseeable future, and the R2 will go on hiatus.
Old 08-06-20, 04:14 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I have 4000 miles on my H2. It is the single best investment I have made in cycling.
Likes For frogmorton:
Old 08-06-20, 05:19 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Funny how we are all different. I love my R2 . And no creaks in my neck anymore looking for sneaky storm clouds. Just glad many enjoying SA saddles.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 08-06-20, 06:15 PM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Absolutely love my H2. Extremely comfortable. My R2, not so much.
Likes For Drago1010:
Old 06-01-21, 08:45 AM
El Fug

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Excuse the exhumation of the dead thread, but I'm hoping maybe someone has some advice.

I have an S-A X1 and it's extremely comfortable. I like to ride without padded shorts and the saddle allows this without issue. However I do have one major issue with it and it's significant. When I pedal at a high cadence, the saddle becomes very bouncy and I feel like I have no support. I end up pushing my butt back onto the metal frame so that I have something solid to push from. This is the only leather saddle I've used, and I mostly love it, so I don't know whether this is simply how hammock-style saddles work or if a saddle with thicker leather, say the H-2, might ameliorate this bouncing problem. And, yes, I've adjusted the tension according to S-A's instructions.

Any insights or advice?
Old 06-01-21, 11:59 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by El Fug
Excuse the exhumation of the dead thread, but I'm hoping maybe someone has some advice.

I have an S-A X1 and it's extremely comfortable. I like to ride without padded shorts and the saddle allows this without issue. However I do have one major issue with it and it's significant. When I pedal at a high cadence, the saddle becomes very bouncy and I feel like I have no support. I end up pushing my butt back onto the metal frame so that I have something solid to push from. This is the only leather saddle I've used, and I mostly love it, so I don't know whether this is simply how hammock-style saddles work or if a saddle with thicker leather, say the H-2, might ameliorate this bouncing problem. And, yes, I've adjusted the tension according to S-A's instructions.

Any insights or advice?
Owning these saddles since they first came out, I would try moving the saddle back a few mm or raising the seatpost a few mm. Another possibility is the X1 is sagginf as you use it. S-A recommends to use the 6 mm hex wrench to add tension between rides so the narrowest point in the slot is 6 mm wide. Adding that little bit of tension tends to raise the saddle surface, giving you more support under you. I think I would try the tension adjustment first.
Old 06-01-21, 12:32 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Does the bouncing occur only with the SA? If you haven't tested another saddle, I suspect that the bouncing at high cadence is a technique issue. I, too, bounce if I get over 110 RPM or so, and I would bet the farm that's because I'm not pedaling smoothly enough.

If you have tested another saddle without bouncing, why not switch? That's a real question - not a veiled suggestion to switch.
Old 06-01-21, 12:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Very glad to see that your experience with it includes longer mileage rides. For rides less than 35 miles, I can be comfortable on most anything.
Old 06-01-21, 04:05 PM
El Fug

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Owning these saddles since they first came out, I would try moving the saddle back a few mm or raising the seatpost a few mm. Another possibility is the X1 is sagginf as you use it. S-A recommends to use the 6 mm hex wrench to add tension between rides so the narrowest point in the slot is 6 mm wide. Adding that little bit of tension tends to raise the saddle surface, giving you more support under you. I think I would try the tension adjustment first.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've already tightened the tension, but perhaps I'll tighten it a bit more and see if that helps.
Old 06-01-21, 04:07 PM
El Fug

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by philbob57
Does the bouncing occur only with the SA? If you haven't tested another saddle, I suspect that the bouncing at high cadence is a technique issue. I, too, bounce if I get over 110 RPM or so, and I would bet the farm that's because I'm not pedaling smoothly enough.

If you have tested another saddle without bouncing, why not switch? That's a real question - not a veiled suggestion to switch.
Well, I'm very happy with this saddle most of the time. It's only when I'm pedaling very quickly that I start bouncing. I'm sure my form is bad, but it's not something I've noticed on my other saddles, which are typical road bike style saddles with faux leather over foam over plastic.
Old 06-01-21, 04:18 PM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Your thread exhumation got me to take a look at SA, so that counts for something.

Their 20% discount code encouraged me to pull the trigger now on an X2. I'm interested in seeing how it goes.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 06-01-21, 05:50 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Any insights or advice?
I've been the happy owner of three SA saddles over the past several years (owner of 3 different bikes), and have been very satisfied with comfort. Especially on those century rides. Have tried many others, and in my opinion nothing else comes close to being as comfortable.

I get what you're saying with the "bouncy" feel when spinning hard or pedaling at a high cadence when sprinting. When spinning in a low gear, low speed climbing, the bounce isn't really an issue any. But high cadence when sprinting at a high speed it is very bothersome. But I do just the opposite of what you're doing. Instead of sitting back on the saddle, I move up and am primarily just on the nose. Firm with no bounce.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-01-21, 06:01 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Is your cadence on the other seats as high as on the SA? A lot of people work harder when they're more comfortable.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-01-21, 06:36 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
cool pic with the picnic table, glad you are enjoying it
Old 06-01-21, 07:44 PM
El Fug

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by philbob57
Is your cadence on the other seats as high as on the SA? A lot of people work harder when they're more comfortable.
I honestly don't know, but that's an interesting question and something I hadn't considered.
Old 06-01-21, 08:10 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
I've got 2 SA X-series - love them. Ordered an R2 that has not arrived yet. I really do not care much about waterproof, but wanted to try it out.

No intention to buy a Berthoud. But I do ride Ideale, Brooks, Gyes, Wrights, Belt, Palace.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-01-21 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 01:02 PM
El Fug

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Update: So I further tensioned the saddle and that seems to have done the trick. Much less bouncing on yesterday's ride.
Old 06-04-21, 10:39 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Update: So I further tensioned the saddle and that seems to have done the trick. Much less bouncing on yesterday's ride.
Glad to hear it !!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 06-05-21, 01:10 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
I am going to agree with @Iride01 - in that, for my rides of 30 miles or less most any saddle is OK. But, .... given increasing age and some moderate weight loss over 2 years, I have decided that some of the 'marginal' saddles on my road bikes need replacement. So trying the SA R2 and chose a new but blemished one for under $100. Again, I like both versions of X series - different rails. The R2 has a new frame that can take a leather cover if the rubber version needs replacing.

The other leather saddle with a cut-out that i like is from Gyes in Taiwan.

Comparing the two cutouts - SA X series to the Gyes - the length is 19cm to 11cm (Gyes). The Gyes is also a stiffer leather.

Will soon be trying out a recovered leather saddle with a custom (long) cutout. From a fellow BF member.