Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tights vs. Leg Warmers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tights vs. Leg Warmers

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 08:28 AM
gundom66

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
What brand of knickers? I've been looking at the performance knickers.

Skull cap will cover your ears.
Bontragers. They were cheaper for me because of the additional 10% off due to my bike purchase with Trek. I like it a lot because the back is wider than most and the front zips up - more than enough materials for additional heat coverage. However, I liked the Specialized Roubaix Knickers better on the leg area. The material seems a bit thicker, but not fleeced. It was just a tad bit expensive - $180 - and I had to compromise with the wife. I guess what I can do is to buy regular tights to go over the knickers, so when it gets too hot, I can just peel it off and still keep some materials on my knees.

Last edited by gundom66; 11-22-10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-22-10, 09:19 AM
deadprez012

Bikes: Masi Vincere (2011); Diamondback Interval (1993); Miyata SSCX build (c. 1990)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm...tights in sub-30 deg F. I've taken out just the shorts on most of our 31-36 mornings lately. A bit of warmup before hopping on the bike has helped.

Upper body, though, is layered to the max. Sometimes the base layer under a long sleeve; sometimes a tight compression long sleeve under a loose athletic long sleeve under a plain cotton long sleeve T. Often a cap or beanie. Almost always gloves.

Huh...suppose I look pretty odd after those commutes. And sweaty.
Old 11-22-10, 12:00 PM
gundom66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it's gonna be in the low 30's when I wake up on Turkey Day. If it's too cold for knickers, I may turn around and wear sweats over it. For sure, I'm gonna wear my old Nike windbreaker and my backpack (don't worry, I ride an MTB on the road...) so when it's time to peel off, I have somewhere to stuff the sweats and windbreaker. If I can find something for my ears by then, then there shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, I'll be sporting it with a beanie under the helmet...
Old 11-22-10, 12:15 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i find that if it is cold enough to need leg warmers, tights will not be too hot. so i might as well just wear tights.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-22-10, 12:28 PM
dennisa

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, the only question that remains on the Nashbar tights is padded or unpadded ??
Old 11-22-10, 12:38 PM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tights are only necessary for temps below 30 degrees. Otherwise, it's bibs + knee warmers, then knickers, then bibs + leg warmers, then tights.
Old 11-22-10, 12:48 PM
gundom66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends if you're wearing it over padded shorts. Or if your behind can handle non-padded.
Old 11-22-10, 01:11 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jandro
So do I and it gets cold enough to wear my tights. Hell it got cold enough today in SF where I live and the sun was shining! ~49* + wind = cold.
Haha, that's not cold, HTFU.
Old 11-22-10, 01:21 PM
Jasper Storm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Haha, that's not cold, HTFU.
Saturday morning, wearing shorts and s/s jersey:

Avg Temperature: 39.5 °F
Min Temperature: 35.6 °F
Max Temperature: 44.6 °F

Did wuss out and wear full finger gloves.
Old 11-22-10, 01:29 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I recently purchased knickers with "roubaix" lining and windproof fabric on the exterior which I plan on using through most of the winter depending on how cold it gets. I used my lighter gauge knickers down to the upper 30s but wanted something a little warmer; I'll save the winter tights for the very cold weather. My calves don't get cold so I don't mind having them exposed so long as it isn't frigid.
Old 11-22-10, 01:34 PM
BikeMech
I bike in the nude

Bikes: Custom. '02 trek 1000 with ultegra and dura ace components. Too much to list... Just ask me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got tights recently but i have been wearing them on every ride. I do it really because i'm uncomfortable with the length of my cycling shorts. If it's 70 or so i simply push them up to right below my knees. When it's colder i just pull them down the rest of the way. It's nice because they're cool enough to wear when it's warm but if it cools down while i'm riding i don't have to freeze (Except my upper body of course)

Tip: They're just regular tights from target. $5.00 and walmart has them for i think $6.00. I know they're not actual cycling gear but it's so much cheaper and they do the job just fine. You just have to make sure to get the right material. You northern guys have it worse as far as winter so it may not work for you.
Old 11-22-10, 01:35 PM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This all depends on the nature of the ride. Here in Colorado, you can be riding both at 5k feet and up to 13k feet on the same day. The temperature change on that ride is significant enough that you need to be able to add and remove clothing. However, if I am riding in the plains, on a colder day, where the temp is not going to fluctuate, then either knickers or tights depending.

Also - if you need to turn your knickers into full on tights - just get some longer wool socks (such as the over-the-calf socks). Are great for covering up any remaining portion of your leg.
https://www.darntough.com/ski-ride-1409.html
Old 11-22-10, 01:37 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
50- 60 Knee warmers

32-60 Leg warmers (40 and below I throw in windblocker Craft undies)

32 -10 tights

10 and below tights plus bibs plus windblocker craft undies
Old 11-22-10, 01:44 PM
vantassell
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
+1, although I would debate the temp ranges
I'm in a pretty dry climate, so the cold doesn't feel as cold. I could see somewhere more humid (which would be pretty much anywhere) would be different.
Old 11-22-10, 02:03 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasper Storm
Saturday morning, wearing shorts and s/s jersey:

Avg Temperature: 39.5 °F
Min Temperature: 35.6 °F
Max Temperature: 44.6 °F

Did wuss out and wear full finger gloves.
if you went out in those temps wearing shorts and a short sleeve jersey, then you are the king of freds.
Old 11-22-10, 03:10 PM
learnmedia
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Why knickers ? If it's cold enough to cover 75% of your legs, just cover everything.
Originally Posted by Menel
Knee warmers. Only need one pair, reusable, and extends my vast closet of pricey bib shorts I already know serve me right. My calves don't really get cold.

Full length leg warmers are unnecessary IMO. The knee + shorts setup is good down to at least 28degree, which is as cold as it's been in the morning so far this year.
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
+1, although I would debate the temp ranges and I do have tights...

There's a huge difference in feel between knickers and tights. It is most significant in the rain. And my calves don't get cold.

cdr
Surprisingly true. I wore my new Giordana bib knickers in 50 degree + wind weather yesterday. With tallish thin wool socks, base layer, long sleeve jersey, and skull cap (for my Kojak dome), I felt quite comfy. Born, raised, and living in SoCal, I'm a wimp. I don't do cold. The two other riders I saw out were in full tights, long sleeves, and neck wraps as well.

Last edited by learnmedia; 11-22-10 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 03:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22615 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
OK, everyone is different but here is what I do:

Sorry to our non-usa folks but these are Farenheight temps

>55 shorts
40-55 shorts + leg warmers
30-40 shorts + tights
15-30 shorts+ leg warmers then tights OVER them
<15 ride rollers (or trainer - arrrgh!)

This general guideline has worked very well for me. YMMV.
Old 11-22-10, 04:00 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why knickers ? If it's cold enough to cover 75% of your legs, just cover everything.
You troublemaker you.
Old 11-22-10, 04:46 PM
gundom66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by learnmedia
Born, raised, and living in SoCal, I'm a wimp. I don't do cold. The two other riders I saw out were in full tights, long sleeves, and neck wraps as well.
I have a buddy that lives in SoCal and he said after getting used to the warmer temps, 50ish is like freezing cold for him. LOL. We were just emailing each other earlier and he said he doesn't like knickers either because the style is... too girlie for him. So he wears tights over short bibs. Then he said when he gets a bit warmed up, he takes off his tights and puts on knee warmers to keep 'em warm. O.o <ehhh???>

I'm glad he's not a member of BF... it would've been "open season" for him.
Old 11-22-10, 04:48 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gundom66
he said he doesn't like knickers either because the style is... too girlie for him. So he wears tights over short bibs.
Tell him "yeah, cause wearing something called 'tights' isn't girlie"
Old 11-22-10, 04:51 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
good point. i don't understand why you would want to expose a little bit of flesh.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-22-10, 04:56 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
good point. i don't understand why you would want to expose a little bit of flesh.
I'm pretty sure we've been through this limey. It's important to protect the joint, not the flesh. In the 40s and 50s you want the knee covered but the calves generate their own heat.
Old 11-22-10, 04:57 PM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting

Well,

for some of us, the main point is to keep your knees warm in order to prevent injury. Calve muscles are not a joint, and therefore, even if a little cold, do not have nearly the risk of injury as your knees do when it is cold outside. If you do not anticipate the need to strip down further, then it is more beneficial to have knickers than knee warmers, since the knee warmers both: A) Stretch out the bottoms of your cycling shorts needlessly and b) fall down or move during the ride.

If you have the luxury of owning shorts, knee warmers, knickers and tights, then there are rides where kickers are the most optimal form of cycling bib. But again - these are for specific weather and riding circumstances. Not good if it is going to warm up, not good if it is really cold. but for most riding when the weather is going to stay in the 50's all day, perfect.

And as I posted above, if you get long-enough wool socks, you can then cover your entire lower 1/2. I use Ibex wool knickers with Darn Tough Vermont Socks (ski version, over the calf) length socks, and viola, I have in essence a pair of tights.

However - if on a budget - then knee warmers are the most economical.

Last edited by VT Biker; 11-22-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 05:06 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28665 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Sorry to our non-usa folks
No need to apologize.
Old 11-22-10, 05:17 PM
Sundance89

Bikes: [IMG]https://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gundom66
I have a buddy that lives in SoCal and he said after getting used to the warmer temps, 50ish is like freezing cold for him. .
Like I said, I'm originally from Michigan and I never forget my roots in my mind . . . but the body does. It only took 15 years, but mornings in the desert will get into the 30's and that's now cold for me. I checked the forecast and Scottsdale will have a low of 36 degrees on Wednesday, but it's common to have 30 plus degree swings to our high temps too.

The body does get acclimated. I also was on my bike every day throughout the summer. One day during the high of 116 degrees, so it balances out. By still commuting and training with long rides in the heat, I adjusted (relatively speaking) to the heat as well. So I guess you could say my threshold has gone up with the heat, but my bottom line tolerance for low temps have gone up too. - Thus tights for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.