Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can you adapt a newer derailleur by adding a hanger?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 07:40 PM
Raleigh71

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

My Shimano 600-EX long cage rear derailleur that I put on in 1980 self destructed. It originally used a hanger attached to the rear drop-out.

Can I get a newer derailleur that doesn't require a hanger, and use it with the original hanger?
Old 01-03-18, 07:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
I'm not real sure what you are asking. Could you post a picture of your bicycle's dropout?
Old 01-03-18, 08:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I believe @Raleigh71 might be asking about direct mount frames and derailleurs.

Direct mount frames and derailleurs don't use a hanger but, as the name implies, the derailleur mounts directly to the frame.

Direct mount has been around a while, at least since the early 90's and my understanding is that converting a modern Shimano Dura Ace, Ultegra or 105 derailleur to be used with direct mount or a hanger isn't a big deal.

I am certain that Shimano Dura Ace and Ultegra Di2 derailleurs can be converted to be used with either a direct mount frame or a frame with a traditional hanger. They come from the factory set up to be used with a hanger and a piece is removed at the pivot bolt for it to be used on a direct mount frame. Reference page 45 at https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R8050-02-ENG.pdf.

I mention the Di2 derailleurs above because it is documented clearly in PDF dealer manual. I don't see why mechanical would be any different but I don't have a reference to documentation for 100% certainty. OP can try and find a reference for the mechanical derailleurs at https://si.shimano.com.

Apologies if this is not what is being discussed.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-03-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 09:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3598 Post(s)
Liked 3,421 Times in 1,946 Posts
If you're referring to bolt-on hanger into which the derailleur mounts, like the one on the left below, then yes, in most cases you can mount a modern derailleur onto such a hanger. There are exceptions, and some derailleurs come with an integral hanger, but in most cases it will work.

Do you have a specific derailleur in mind?

Old 01-05-18, 06:49 PM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If you are referring to a claw type hanger then reusing the old one will depend on the old setup. But you can pickup a new claw from your LBS and mount a derailleur onto it.
Your old one may use the standard 10 mm derailleur thread or could be riveted or use a snap ring.
Old 01-05-18, 08:38 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
The way you've worded your question is a little confusing; pictures would help.

But if I'm reading correctly, your bike's dropout doesn't have an integrated derailleur hanger? You can indeed get a new claw style hanger. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-Shima.../dp/B001PT8M8C. Some entry level derailleurs are still available out of the box like this.
Old 01-06-18, 02:51 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh71
Can I get a newer derailleur that doesn't require a hanger, and use it with the original hanger?
As others mentioned, post picture of what you currently have. You then should pick new derailleur. It may or may not come with hanger. If it comes with hanger, use that one. If it doesn't, use old hanger.
Old 04-19-18, 07:14 PM
Raleigh71

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for all the great info, gents!

See attached photo of the hanger I was referring to.

You can see the original derailleur or what's left of it with the hanger, and I ended up just getting a replacement with a similar looking hanger.

These are both considered 'long cage' Shimano-600 derailleurs with the replacement being the 'Arabesque' version.

What's interesting is that the distance between the jockey wheels isn't the same. The original had 76 mm center-to-center between the jockey wheels and the Arabesque has 69.5 which you would think might have a smaller capacity. I'm using it with a 14 x 30 freewheel so we'll see.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0050.JPG (203.0 KB, 66 views)