Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Glasses in the Rain?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Glasses in the Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 04:10 PM
paperbackbiker

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glasses in the Rain?

This may have been covered in an old thread, but I couldn't find anything on it. Am wondering what the bespectacled cyclist does to keep the rain from making the trip treacherous. Raining hard today on the way home and went to look over my left shoulder for oncoming traffic before I put the old left turn signal out there and was quite surprised to find I couldn't see! Or hear since it was raining so hard. (Took the recommended option of pulling off the road and did the old finger-as-windshield-wiper routine.) I heard of RainX for cars and an antifog spray for glasses, but wondered if there's something tried and true to repel rain from glasses. (I don't really want to wear anything more over my glasses either.) I also don't want to ruin my glasses. Ideas?
Old 05-18-11, 04:20 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it gets really bad rain/sleet/snow wise I don safety glasses (warm weather) or goggles (frigid temps) treated with Rain-X. They keep my prescription glasses relatively moisture free.

Old 05-18-11, 04:21 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full coverage fenders for upspray and a baseball hat or golf visor for the downpour. When at a stoplight pull your glasses towards the end of your nose, slightly. That'll keep them from fogging up while stopped. I wear plastic goggles purchased at Home Depot for 5.00. Drilled 4 3/32" holes across the top of each lense to help w/fogging and it works real well.
Old 05-18-11, 04:26 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
If it gets really bad rain/sleet/snow wise I don safety glasses (warm weather) or goggles (frigid temps) treated with Rain-X. They keep my prescription glasses relatively moisture free.

I have experimented with those and I basically like the result, but I am too slovenly to keep them unscratched so it's never been a long-term solution for me.

So mostly I stick to a baseball hat under my helmet to keep more of the rain off, and then just live with the rest of it.

This time of year when I drink coffee at a stop light, while going in to work, the cup will steam my glasses and that is frustrating but hey caffeine cannot be denied.
Old 05-18-11, 04:41 PM
Koa C.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Believe it or not, the visor on most helmets really helps to keep the rain off glasses. It works for me and i've been in some pretty heavy downpours here in Hawaii. When it rains i just move my helmet a little more forward and lower the front end for more protection.
Old 05-18-11, 04:52 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to wear glasses all the time - I've never, ever had a problem with not being able to see...unless I'm stopped at a light and my glasses fog up, clearing up as soon as I'm going again. I make sure that I wear a visor on my helmet. It works great. No problems with water at all.
Old 05-18-11, 05:00 PM
filDim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain-X can't be used on plexiglass or lexan glasses.

Read these threads, lots of info:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...for-sunglasses
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...eir-sunglasses
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...in-and-glasses
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...rom-fogging-up
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...yewear-in-rain
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...in-Rain-Thread
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-rain-Glasses
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nglasses-clean
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...in-and-glasses

Last edited by filDim; 05-18-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 05:12 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
... This time of year when I drink coffee at a stop light, while going in to work, the cup will steam my glasses and that is frustrating but hey caffeine cannot be denied.
You have your priorities straight.

Originally Posted by filDim
Rain-X can't be used on plexiglass or lexan glasses.
Damn... I hope I don't get sued!! (BTW, I'm one those people who went against the grain and didn't believe in WOMDs in Iraq despite the 'evidence' that was presented)

Last edited by BassNotBass; 05-18-11 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 05:31 PM
toddles
Banned.

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a friend who got prescription goggles. Cost him $200 bucks but I've been thinking about the same thing.
Old 05-18-11, 05:47 PM
paperbackbiker

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks. Will work on this on a trial (and error) basis. I have those clear plastic goggles (stored with the string trimmer!) and will try them tomorrow, which I am assured, will be as rainy as the previous five days...
Old 05-19-11, 06:05 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm.. I've never thought about mine. I do have a visor on my helmet and fenders and I've never had a problems seeing in the rain.
Old 05-19-11, 08:00 AM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My eyesight isn't that horrible so if it is raining I just go without glasses. I put them in my bag in a crush-protected zone. I can see well enough to notice big metal objects nearby and can distinguish red from green. Reading street signs is a little fuzzy but I basically know where I'm going most of the time.
I don't know how the prescription goggles would help the situation though--still going to have to deal with the water drops all over them.
Old 05-19-11, 08:22 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not able to maintain a speed sufficient for rainex to be effective. While in rain, I just put up with it. I definitely do not see as well as on a day without rain, but it hasn't been a major problem for me, ( yet ).
Old 05-19-11, 08:40 AM
audi666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try a cycling cap. they do wonders in the rain.
Old 05-19-11, 08:56 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My solution cost $3,500 but it has resolve the issue entirely....LASIK. I still wear glasses to protect my eyes, but the anti-fog cycling glasses work WAY better than my presciption glasses ever did. I didn't use rain-x, but I did use cat crap and had good luck with it.
Old 05-19-11, 09:30 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just let my glasses get wet. I haven't found that wet glasses are that big an impediment to seeing.

As for LASIK/not wearing, I'd wear safety glasses if I didn't need prescription glasses. My glasses I'm wearing now have a significant ding in close to the nose on the right lens from a rock thrown up by a car tire a few days ago. Without the glasses at best I'd be looking at damage to the eye at best, it could have caused me to fall at worst and that could have put me in the path of a car (most of the roads I ride on have cars doing 50-60 MPH).
Old 05-19-11, 09:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by audi666
try a cycling cap. they do wonders in the rain.
I prefer a baseball cap with the longer bill. I can't ride without glasses, so clear lenses are crucial to me. Cold weather cycling with fogging is an entirely different problem that I solved with a Home Depot type of safety glasses, so far down to about 0 degrees F on a 14 mile commute of about one and a quarter hours.

I don't bother with the safety glasses above about 35 degrees, and have no fogging problems at that temperature and above.
Old 05-19-11, 09:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I prefer a baseball cap with the longer bill. I can't ride without glasses, so clear lenses are crucial to me.
Same here. Cycling cap doesn't do any better than a helmet visor so if either of those is all you need, good enough. But I need a baseball hat.
Old 05-19-11, 09:45 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I just let my glasses get wet. I haven't found that wet glasses are that big an impediment to seeing.

As for LASIK/not wearing, I'd wear safety glasses if I didn't need prescription glasses. My glasses I'm wearing now have a significant ding in close to the nose on the right lens from a rock thrown up by a car tire a few days ago. Without the glasses at best I'd be looking at damage to the eye at best, it could have caused me to fall at worst and that could have put me in the path of a car (most of the roads I ride on have cars doing 50-60 MPH).
I've had enough stuff PING off my glasses that I would always at least wear shades if not safety glasses if I did get lasik (which I apparently will not be a good candidate for for another 5-10 yrs)
Old 06-01-11, 02:32 AM
lynn2011
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it looks so cool,would like to own my glasses,then i can take on it in the rain...
Old 06-01-11, 03:33 AM
relyt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only ever had problems in the rain when it was also windy. The rain would get blown into my face. I wear contacts these days and I like them better anyway.
Old 06-01-11, 06:18 AM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Use that little patch of felt or whatever it is that's on your glove thumb to wipe the lenses once in a while. Make sure you don't use the side you wipe your nose with.
Old 06-01-11, 07:33 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTSCDS
My eyesight isn't that horrible so if it is raining I just go without glasses. I put them in my bag in a crush-protected zone. I can see well enough to notice big metal objects nearby and can distinguish red from green. Reading street signs is a little fuzzy but I basically know where I'm going most of the time.
I don't know how the prescription goggles would help the situation though--still going to have to deal with the water drops all over them.
Me too I'm lucky enough to be able to see well enough to just take the glasses off & deal with it. Yes, there's danger of getting hit in the eye with something I guess. At least I'll never see it coming.
Old 06-01-11, 07:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,705 Times in 2,524 Posts
I have bifocal safety glasses. I'm farsighted with only minor defects in my far vision, so my only problem involves close reading. Not a big issue on my commute, but just in case there are bugs I have the safety glasses on a strap around my neck
Old 06-01-11, 08:44 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I've had enough stuff PING off my glasses that I would always at least wear shades if not safety glasses if I did get lasik (which I apparently will not be a good candidate for for another 5-10 yrs)
Yes, I currently have a nice little ding in my right lens where it took a hit from a rock. Not to mention the number of bugs that I've had whack me all over the last few weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.