Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

OT: Books?

Old 11-10-19, 03:40 AM
ZeroG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OT: Books?

I know it's a bit off topic, but do any of you have any recommendations regarding books and track riding/racing? It can been training books, nutrition, biographies, fiction, etc., just curious if anyone is reading anything helpful or entertaining? Thanks.
Old 11-10-19, 02:53 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
“Heroes, Villains, and Velodromes” is about Team GB’s rise to prominence leading up to the 2008 Olympics. A lot of focus on Hoy, but not entirely about him.
Old 11-10-19, 05:51 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
No Brakes! Bicycle Track Racing in the United States - Sandra Wright Sutherland - Iris Press – 1995 –

ISBN 0-9645243-0-9.

Light reading about track racing in the 1990s with lots of photos. Something for everyone.

My Hour – Bradley Wiggins – Penguin – 2015 – ISBN 9780224100465.

Includes attempts by other riders – photos – some tech details – timeline (P92)

The Hour, Sporting Immortality the hard way – Michael Hutchinson – Yellow Jersey Press – 2007 – ISBN 9780224075209

Enjoyable and fast read.

The Flying Scotsman – Graham Obree .

Good read about Obree’s life and hour attempt. There is a movie of the book but it takes some liberties (I’ve heard but not surprised).

Cycling Anatomy, Your illustrated guide for cycling strength, speed, and endurance – Shannon Sovndal – Human Kinetics – 2009 – ISBN-13: 978-0-7360-7587-9.

All about muscles and how to exercise them – the exercises I do from the book are working for me. No coverage of exercises on an indoor trainer bike.

Renold Chains, A history of the company and the rise of the precision chain industry 1879-1955 – Basil H. Tripp – George Allen & Unwin Ltd. – 1956.

As an engineer and cyclist I found this history book very interesting. Renold chains were used by most European track cyclists into the 1990s. My UK club had a barrel of Renold chains and members just chopped off what they needed.
Old 11-10-19, 06:45 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I liked 'Wheels of Steele'
Track and road
Old 11-11-19, 05:22 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Aerodynamics of track cycling. L Underwood 2012 - thesis 298 pages

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/35468689.pdf
Old 11-11-19, 02:26 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Not at all related to track cycling - but The Dancing Chain is my favorite book about cycling. It's the history of the derailleur (and the bicycle in general). Great read, great visuals.
Old 11-11-19, 03:41 PM
SpinClassSara

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I have a ton of books I want to read about cycling, that aren't available in the US from the library. Sigh ..................
Old 11-11-19, 04:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinClassSara
I have a ton of books I want to read about cycling, that aren't available in the US from the library. Sigh ..................
There is a book that's not related to cycling but written by Team GB's Sports Psycologist Dr. Steve Peters. Jamie Staff (G.B. Team Sprint Olympic gold and U.S.A. Olympic Sprint coach) recommended it. It's called "The Chimp Paradox". It's a great read for personal development.

https://www.amazon.com/Chimp-Paradox.../dp/039916359X

He was the guy who helped Victoria Pendleton overcome a lot of the self-doubt she had while battling to stay at the top of the game. The battles she and Anna Meares had were amazing.

Anyway, it intially wasn't available for sale in the US (print or digital). I temporarily changed my shipping address to a random place in the UK then bought a digital copy of the book then removed that shipping address. It worked.

I did fudge the system, but it wasn't to get the book for free. I wanted to pay. But I guess, at the time, the book wasn't ready for sale in the USA.

EDIT:

Here are the editorial reviews on the Amazon product page:

“Thank you, Steve Peters, for opening my eyes on how to approach my worries and fears…”
—Bradley Wiggins, Winner of Tour de France 2012
“[The Chimp Paradox is] the mind program that helped me win my Olympic Golds.”
—Sir Chris Hoy, six-time Olympic champion

“Steve Peters is the most important person in my career.”
—Victoria Pendleton, Olympic Gold Medal-winning cyclist
Old 11-12-19, 10:05 AM
SpinClassSara

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I want to read that - thanks!!!