Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a stolen bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying a stolen bike

Old 11-02-20, 09:33 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd be more than happy to hear that the statistics I found were in error. What I found was that the recovery rate for meth addicts who were fortunate enough to receive residential treatment was only 12%. So 88% of those lucky ones plus virtually all of the others are destined to live short, miserable lives during which they will inflict pain and suffering on their loved ones and society in general. Who among them, if they were able to retain rational thought and and conscience, would not want a quick end?
And you're doubling down. Please, take a step back. What kind of person actually wishes death on others?
Likes For samkl:
Old 11-02-20, 11:08 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,248 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Stolen bike or not, I'm excited to see how many cyclists know so many 'statistics' about drug addiction. Would love to see a post from someone listing their CV in research on drug dependency.

Or, perhaps, just simply stop talking out their rear ends.
Well, I worked doing drug abuse programs with police for five years, granted that was in the 80s, but what was true then, is even truer with meth addicts, there comes a point where they cannot earn enough money legally to support their addiction. They have to resort to theft, or other crime to support their addiction.

They shoplift quite often, or run return scams. My wife is a manager at Lowes, on a daily basis people try to scam their returns. They find receipt in the parking lot, then go into the store, get the item listed on the receipt, and try to return it. The items are usually high ticket items like power tools, power washers, and the like.

Oh, and in my area, they steal bikes, and post them for sale on craigslist.

Last edited by phughes; 11-02-20 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-04-20, 09:28 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Gee. Wonder what happened to the OP after browsing the classifieds as he always does.
Actually didn't expect this post to get this much attention and discussion. Looked at the first few "don't do it" responses and moved onto drooling over a Miyata and trying to justify having another bike.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I have questions:

1. This is a Bianchi frame being sold, not a complete bike... "a nice older model that looks to be in good shape". I'm curious as to what model, what year, and what the listing indicated and/or how the OP was able to identify the make and model of the frame.

2. There is a cable lock attached to the frame, which everyone including the OP is pointing to as evidence that it's stolen. Was the complete bike stolen without cutting said lock? If the bike was a complete bike when stolen, are we to believe that the thief had the tools and knowledge to completely strip down the bike to the bare frameset but didn't bother to cut off a cable lock? Or are we to believe that the frameset was already stripped down, but also locked up? Surely someone who steals bikes knows how to cut a cable lock, right? It takes about 3 seconds with some bolt cutters.

3. What are the "local classifieds" where this bike frame was spotted? I would like to see photos, read the description, know the asking price, and most importantly understand how the thread starter was able to identify the seller and look at their "other items" that they're selling, and see what was so alarming about the profile pic that resulted in searching court records. I've never seen a classified listing that includes a sellers full name and a photo of them. It's worth noting that Craigslist does not disclose the identity of sellers in listings, and the thief in this story has presumably chosen to sidestep craigslist in favor of "local classifieds" that requires lots of identifying information and a profile pic.

4. The OP is considering buying the frame (to take to the police!), but is worried that a meth addict will then know where they live. I'm very confused about this part because why would someone spend their own money on something they know is stolen only to turn it over to the police, and also they could just call the police now and never have to talk to the seller. It's also notable that purchasing items through a classified listing does not require someone to disclose their name or address. I've bought and sold many items on the internet and never disclosed this information to anyone
On Facebook Marketplace, your name is plainly listed for the world to see. The county I live in has county jail and court records that are easily searched online, my last name is more unique than Smith or Jones, and with the license I have for my profession my address is listed under court records, on the state's licensing website, and will pop up under pretty much any websearch.

There's also 3 BMX bikes in the listing that I don't give a rats a$$ about, but 2 of them look to have rattle can paint jobs. Text from the ad below; it's entirely possible they just have bike frames and parts collected from over the years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was parts stripped off bikes to make them harder to identify.

"Bike frames for sale asking $100 for all four together i have a bunch of parts as well that I could throw in for $30 so all together 130 and its yours"
Old 11-04-20, 02:06 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
With the picture, it is quite different in my eyes. Locks like these left on bikes are pretty common, left by the owners who ride bike with them for years and don't have key for the lock anymore. IMO that lock is no pointer that the bike was stolen or at least that it is some 'hot stuff'... by that I mean that the seller would be actively moving stolen bike parts.

It may well be the guy came by the bike in a good faith, might have gone around on the garbage collection days and brought home what people put out to sidewalk. You can come across even some gems that way, people make living that way. I say in good faith because even in such situations, the bike might well have been stolen long ago by the people who put it out for garbage collection, so it is always worthwhile to check it anyway. Going by the pick, it doesn't look like some 'operation moving stolen bikes and parts', because that would be not be worthwhile to them on this scale, in such a fashion, for that relatively little gain for the time invested. Stolen bikes don't look like they spent years in some dusty corner in a garage and you see such dismembered bikes or whatever else, even cars in such state in many barns.

In yourplace, I'd go in and offer something less just for this frame, just maybe check the serial on your phone right there if there is some website with collected stolen bikes ser #s , sometimes police have such service too.

BTW BMX bikes with rattle can paint job, that's what kids do to their own bikes to makes them look hip, not new, somewhat like jeans with holes in them and such likes

Last edited by vane171; 11-04-20 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-04-20, 03:36 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd be more than happy to hear that the statistics I found were in error. What I found was that the recovery rate for meth addicts who were fortunate enough to receive residential treatment was only 12%. So 88% of those lucky ones plus virtually all of the others are destined to live short, miserable lives during which they will inflict pain and suffering on their loved ones and society in general. Who among them, if they were able to retain rational thought and and conscience, would not want a quick end?
Let's leave it up to them to decide they want to be euthanized, not you. It kind of sounds like you're saying, "Killing them is for their own good."
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-04-20, 03:53 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I always thought it would be a great idea for there to be places where addicts could check themselves in, sign a waiver, and then have unlimited access to whatever drug they wanted. And if they die they die, if they recover they recover, but all of this happens someplace where other people's lives are not affected. Will probably never happen though, due to humanitarian concerns and lawsuits, but most addicts would probably love a deal like that, and it would not cost society much.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-04-20, 04:20 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
And most people who have deep insecurities (manifested by egomania and narcissism) don't really that they're the ones who cost society enormously because of their lack of perspective and empathy. Most are consumption-driven, upper-middle-class ego victims; a truly tragic waste of a life.
Old 11-04-20, 04:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
And most people who have deep insecurities (manifested by egomania and narcissism) don't really that they're the ones who cost society enormously because of their lack of perspective and empathy.
Sounds like someone I know.
Old 11-04-20, 06:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Lots of poor reading comprehension here. I'm definitely in favor of letting folks choose what they want. Want to go out in a blaze of glory? Fine with me.
Old 11-04-20, 06:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
. . .
We don't call people bad names here on BF.

Last edited by BillyD; 11-05-20 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Cleanup