Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suntour Accushift in friction mode

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 12:17 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts

Hello,

I’m a big fan of Suntour Barcons and have just acquired a set of the Accushift model. I know these have compatibility issues in the index mode, but am wondering how they compare with the older version when used in the friction/ratchet mode.

Thanx,
Van
Old 11-12-20, 12:25 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
AFAIK, the only issues are the indexing mode being incompatible with anything other than Accushift cassettes or freewheels. If you have an Accushift cassette/freewheel, they'll work beautifully.

For a more future-proof setup, why not consider Shimano bar-ends?
Old 11-12-20, 10:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Accushift shifters can work very well in index mode with Suntour Accushift compatible drivetrains, although I prefer to replace the chains and freewheels (assuming the more common freewheels rather than the uncommon cassettes). Switching to KMC chains (the older Z72, not sure what the current equivalent is) and SunRace chromed MFR30 and MFM30 freewheels work great for my Centurion with Suntour GPX Accushift group.

I also swapped out the original sintered bearing pulleys for Tacx sealed bearing pulleys, same Delrin material, but with a bit of play comparable to Shimano Centeron, for better shifting with Accushift. Tacx no longer sells those but another vendor apparently sells the same pulleys under another name, for around $15 or so. Well worthwhile for fine tuning an Accushift setup.

However if I wanted friction mode I'd switch shifters. Friction mode is an afterthought with Suntour, at least with the GPX shifters. The friction feel is mediocre and the tension knob needs to be tightened up so much the shifter loses feel. I switched to Shimano L422 Light Action shifters for awhile when I wanted to try other non-Suntour components on that bike. Much better friction feel than the GPX shifters.

Current model Shimano bar-end shifters are compatible only with Shimano rear derailleurs for indexing, but have a decent feel for friction mode. There are micro-clicks that help prevent creeping. I'm using Shimano 8-speed bar-end shifters on my hybrid right now in friction mode. That's mostly because I'm using an 8-speed cassette with a 7-speed rear derailleur. The bar-ends won't reliably shift into the largest cog in index mode, but will in friction. There's a tiny nubbin inside the RD housing that limits the cage pivot, but in friction mode it holds fine.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-13-20, 01:26 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
I use these in friction mode on the tandem and they’re truly awful. The advice above is right- get something else!
Old 11-13-20, 01:39 AM
luns

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hello,
I’m a big fan of Suntour Barcons and have just acquired a set of the Accushift model. I know these have compatibility issues in the index mode, but am wondering how they compare with the older version when used in the friction/ratchet mode.
Accushift is not a model, it's their name for indexed shifting, equivalent to what Shimano called SIS. There are many different Accushift shifters just as Shimano had many different SIS shifters.

The answer to your question of how the friction mode works will depend on which shifter you're asking about. My experience is only with downtube shifters, so I can only speak to those: I don't know what barcon equivalents there may have been. I'm aware of a 6-speed Accushift barcon, and a 7-speed barcon that were labelled as Accushift plus, but there were different 6 and 6/7 speed Accushift downtube levers so I don't know enough tot rule out there being other Accushift (non plus) barcons.

I have used their IFC (Index Friction Control), IPC (Index Power Control) and my current bike has probably their last generation of Superbe Pro downtube shifters.

The IFC's friction mode was nothing to write home about, but useable.

My favourite by far is the IPC shifters - this was paired with the Sprint and Superbe (Pro?) derailleurs of the late '80's. The friction mode on these shifters has the same power ratchet that Suntour was famous for before Accushift. Also, the different modes are unambiguous: the shifter has settings for RE (regular 5 or 6 speed), Power ( "friction" ) and UL (7 speed, and ultra 6). Each behaves exactly as you'd expect.

The later Superbe Pro Accushift Plus levers still support both RE and UL index spacings, but I think there are four different modes. They're something like, 6, F6, F7 and 7, where the F6 and F7 are some sort of weakend indexing rather than pure friction. I don't think there's a pure friction mode in between them. There is no power ratchet for the rear shifter, but thankfully the front shifter still has it.

Last edited by luns; 11-13-20 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-13-20, 02:09 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Yeah, the "friction" mode on some Accushift shifters is really a "soft indexed" mode which keeps the indexed stops engaged but also applies friction, so that the shifter isn't forced to rest against the stops. This makes it "indexed" while still allowing you to trim. SunTour implemented this ridiculous bodge because of how badly the indexing on early Accushift stuff worked.
Old 11-14-20, 07:04 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. These came with a cockpit that I bought for the rando bars. I may play with them later, but it seems that they don’t work as well as the originals.
Cheers,
Van