Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Fanton vs Giant Talon 1

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 12:00 PM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

I am an avid cyclist but new to mountain biking. I,m looking for a hardtail under $1000. At 69 I,m just looking to do good forest flat single track in Central Florida. Giant Talon 1 seems like a good choice but availability is 6-10 months. My last bike was a Motobecane from Bikesdirect and I am very happy. I do most of my own wrenching. Anyway with bikes being difficult to buy I can get this Motobecane Fantom 2.5. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...le-mtb-275.htm It seems like it,s a good choice for $800. Anybody,s thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-21, 01:09 AM
robkyle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Fantom hardtail mtn. bike and love it. It rides beautifully and I have zero complaints. Probably the same/similar components as the Giant, just different frame. And b/c you’re handy mechanically you shouldn’t have any trouble getting it dialed in. I highly recommend going tubeless on the tire setup. Really smooths out the ride & no flats if you remember to top off the sealant every 4-6 months.
Old 03-23-21, 01:09 AM
robkyle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Fantom hardtail mtn. bike and love it. It rides beautifully and I have zero complaints. Probably the same/similar components as the Giant, just different frame. And b/c you’re handy mechanically you shouldn’t have any trouble getting it dialed in. I highly recommend going tubeless on the tire setup. Really smooths out the ride & no flats if you remember to top off the sealant every 4-6 months.
Likes For robkyle:
Old 03-23-21, 07:23 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
The Fantom looks cool. The Giant has if they give it, a better fork. But the rest of the components look to be more nice on the Fantom. Just looking at pictures, not comparing specs, the frame on the Giant "might" be a more modern frame, but that shouldn't dissuade anyone from getting the Fantom.

If it were my money, I would choose the Fantom. While I personally like the desert color of the Giant better, the Fantom is available NOW and looks to be a great deal.

If you choose the Fantom, buy now before it's out of stock.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 04-24-21, 04:43 PM
xNateX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant has been better than the others as far as bike availability. I just bought a Talon 1 myself. I don't know your size, but there is a xlarge in desert sage listed on the Giant website available 108 miles away from you, and a small in black 31 miles away from you. You may want to check their website regularly; the shop I bought mine from said they're expecting a large order from Giant to arrive within a week or 2.

Good luck whichever direction you go.