Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Budget rims beyond 25mm wide

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-11-21, 09:24 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

As the post says. I'm trying and failing to do a very modest upgrade to my 2015 Xcaliber

The 17mm internal width Bont rims it came with fit the 2.2's but ride funny. Not only that, if I try to go tubeless, the valve is in the way of the bead, it's possible but tricky. I would even like to experiment with 2.4 but not on these wheels.

All I want is wider rims. This bike isnt worth dropping tons of money on. I'd be perfectly pleased to get some wider rims and rebuild on my existing hubs, or get a new wheelset depending on what I find, sometimes that's cheaper.

So at the top of my list is the Alex MD30. It's only $40 for the 29" and I honestly can't think of a fault considering my intended use. It's unavailable as far as I can tell, the shop can't order it and I can't find it online.

Other options are pre built wheels from Bike Island. I think 25mm is the widest there though. $200 is a good price for low end wheels, sure, but they're still a little narrow with junk hubs and tires I don't want.

The local recyclery didn't have anything.

I'm striking out.

I want 29" rims with a 28-32 (approximately) internal width at $70 or less per rim. Not too worried about weight. Will definitely be run tubeless though.Do I have any options?
​​​​​
Old 02-11-21, 09:30 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Bikehubstore and Prowheelbuilder sell the Kinlin TL-29 rims for $70-80 each. 30mm inside width. I almost bought one of these rims to replace my front one, but ended up with a Stans Flow for a little bit more. I know a wheelbuilder who says he's built many Kinlin rims and they are an under-rated quality product. I am told they set up tubeless well, so you'll need some 32–35mm tape and valves.

of course, you'll also need new spokes of the correct length and some wheel-building skills.
Old 02-11-21, 10:34 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Thanks for that. That's a great option. Maybe a nice enough rim that I'd probably go for a little better hubs and of course I need spokes.

So that's the new top of my list, unless someone else has more great ideas.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 02-12-21, 09:15 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Last summer I was looking for the same type of thing for my Raleigh XXIX single speed. I wanted to run fatter tubeless tires than the original rims could handle, and I didn't want to spend a ton of $$$.

Hello Amazon! I found a set of WTB 29 ST i25 rims laced to Shimano Deore hubs with Maxxis High Roller 29 x 2.30 tires. For just $225. I had tape and sealant already at home. Tubeless set up was a cinch. I have an existing 2.4 tire up front and one of the Maxxis in back. Both wheels required slight truing out of the box but they've worked flawlessly ever since. I'm not a super hard core rider, but with no suspension on the bike those wheels take their fair share of hard knocks on the mid-Atlantic's roots and rocks.

I don't see the same set available now, but just a suggestion of where to look. These wheels came from a brick & mortar shop selling through Amazon but I likely would never have found them directly.

Last edited by telebianchi; 02-12-21 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-14-21, 08:43 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Ok, so I went with those TL-29's.

Haven't built yet but I'm really excited. They are asymmetrical, something I didn't notice on the website when I bought them, they're going to build into great wheels. At 555g for a wide 29 rim, they won't be taking any KOM's but I wouldn't be doing that anyway.

I did some mix and match, I delaced a wheel on my old gravel bike to get the Bitex hub off of it and rebuilt it with the Stan's 3.30 I had. So now I can use the Bitex on my mtb build. At 3.5 degrees vs 12 degrees, I think the mtb is the best place for that hub anyway. And I was able to reuse the spokes, so just a hub swap.

I've got straight guage spokes in the mail and Ill get it together whenever they get here.

So now the question is, since Kinlin rims are matte black with no logos and Bitex hubs are anodized black with no logos, should I bling them before I build?

I can get some pretty sweet genuine fake decals on the bay. Campagnolo? Hope? Easton? Dura Ace?
Old 03-14-21, 01:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

So now the question is, since Kinlin rims are matte black with no logos and Bitex hubs are anodized black with no logos, should I bling them before I build?

I can get some pretty sweet genuine fake decals on the bay. Campagnolo? Hope? Easton? Dura Ace?

Since your'e not in 7th grade (unless you are) -- id suggest not blinging out the hubs --- but if you do, maybe a strip of contrasting color tape down the center of them , along with anodized nipples and stainless spokes, would give you a little flash
Old 03-14-21, 01:56 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by DMC707
Since your'e not in 7th grade (unless you are) -- id suggest not blinging out the hubs --- but if you do, maybe a strip of contrasting color tape down the center of them , along with anodized nipples and stainless spokes, would give you a little flash
I won't be doing anything crazy. I was just kinda surprised when the hoops showed up without so much a size marker on them. They'll be my stealth rims I guess.

I actually did bling a hub recently. An old Parallax on a bike from the 90's. I love how it turned out.

Old 03-28-21, 07:34 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I wish I took a few pics.

Visually, like at a glance, the difference between a 17mm vs 30mm internal width rim is huge!!! Makes my little Xcaliber look like a monster truck. They built up nicely and this was my first effort on asymmetrical rims. I guess the spoke tensions are a little more even but it's not too significant.

As for actual measurements, I'm currently using 2.2" Conti Race Kings. They measured true on the old rims and just under 1/10" larger on the new ones. That isn't the whole story though.

It's allowed the treads and tire to spread out, creating a way bigger contact patch. This is what the hype is all about, I think I might have doubled my traction. Nearly the whole width of tire is helping me ride.

On sweeping dirty turns, I think what you guys call flowy, the bike stays put. Until two days ago, it was squirrelly through that.

I probably gained weight for the build. But without tubes, the net difference was dropping 1/4lb. Whatever.

I'm very happy with the project, and hey, I needed an excuse to build more wheels.

​​​​​
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-06-21, 07:59 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I wish I took a few pics.

Visually, like at a glance, the difference between a 17mm vs 30mm internal width rim is huge!!! Makes my little Xcaliber look like a monster truck. They built up nicely and this was my first effort on asymmetrical rims. I guess the spoke tensions are a little more even but it's not too significant.

As for actual measurements, I'm currently using 2.2" Conti Race Kings. They measured true on the old rims and just under 1/10" larger on the new ones. That isn't the whole story though.

It's allowed the treads and tire to spread out, creating a way bigger contact patch. This is what the hype is all about, I think I might have doubled my traction. Nearly the whole width of tire is helping me ride.

On sweeping dirty turns, I think what you guys call flowy, the bike stays put. Until two days ago, it was squirrelly through that.

I probably gained weight for the build. But without tubes, the net difference was dropping 1/4lb. Whatever.

I'm very happy with the project, and hey, I needed an excuse to build more wheels.

​​​​​

nice!
Old 04-07-21, 07:06 PM
mobile1mobile1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nextie

I just got a nextie carbon rim.. their products are cheap and top notch. Looks like cheap Chinese stuff..but quite frankly they look perfect are super strong, measurements are spot on, customer service is good..although a bit odd with email.. but hey I ordered two rims already and they ride perfect!