Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 10:06 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Ultrasonic Cleaners

I thought I’d seen an earlier thread regarding the use of ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning parts, but I couldn’t find it. I just bought a small unit (3 liters) and am wondering what the best cleaning solutions might be. So far, I’ve just used Dawn dishwashing detergent and am looking at trying Simple Green, but before I go that route, I figured I’d check here for and other suggestions. What experiences have you had with these cleaners? Thanks!
Old 11-10-19, 10:17 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,511 Times in 2,855 Posts
I've used Simple Green for years in my ultrasonic cleaner.
Old 11-10-19, 10:24 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I put about an inch of water in my cleaner tank, then place a Pyrex beaker with cleaning solution into the water, which couples the ultrasonic energy efficiently into the cleaning solution. This eliminates having to clean out the tank between cleanings. I use Simple green, Dawn or odorless mineral spirits; the real stuff not the milky substitute. One could also use alcohol or really anything; Dawn and water work great on eyeglasses. It is kind of cool to turn on the agitation and see the gunk come out of the little crevices
Old 11-10-19, 10:31 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Dawn and water work great on eyeglasses.
Beware that if your eyeglasses have any kind of coating on the lenses, an ultrasonic cleaner may loosen it.
I learned that the hard way.
I'll never put eyeglasses in it again.
Old 11-10-19, 10:34 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I thought I’d seen an earlier thread regarding the use of ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning parts, but I couldn’t find it. I just bought a small unit (3 liters) and am wondering what the best cleaning solutions might be. So far, I’ve just used Dawn dishwashing detergent and am looking at trying Simple Green, but before I go that route, I figured I’d check here for and other suggestions. What experiences have you had with these cleaners? Thanks!
Water and heat do wonders in ultra-sonic cleaners.

Otherwise a shot of degreaser will finish the job.
Old 11-10-19, 10:41 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use Simple Green in mine. More than doubles the life of a chain cleaned with the shaken plastic jar method.
Old 11-10-19, 10:44 AM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Beware that if your eyeglasses have any kind of coating on the lenses, an ultrasonic cleaner may loosen it.
I learned that the hard way.
I'll never put eyeglasses in it again.
Thanks for the warning, I have been using Dawn solution on my co$tly Zeiss coated lenses for decades and have never had a problem. What cleaning solution did you use that caused the coating damage? I often hear an ultrasonic cleaner running at my eyeglass provider, but I will check with them at my next visit.
Old 11-10-19, 10:49 AM
Shimagnolo

Thanks for the warning, I have been using Dawn solution on my co$tly Zeiss coated lenses for decades and have never had a problem. What cleaning solution did you use that caused the coating damage? I often hear an ultrasonic cleaner running at my eyeglass provider, but I will check with them at my next visit.
Simple Green, as stated earlier.

Even more disgusting is that I was warned by a technician at my optometrists office about coated lenses, but I had already been doing it w/o problem. it was only after repeated cleanings that the coating loosened up. I'll bet the cleaner you heard running was cleaning frames w/o lenses installed.
Old 11-10-19, 11:41 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I put about an inch of water in my cleaner tank, then place a Pyrex beaker with cleaning solution into the water, which couples the ultrasonic energy efficiently into the cleaning solution. This eliminates having to clean out the tank between cleanings. I use Simple green, Dawn or odorless mineral spirits; the real stuff not the milky substitute. One could also use alcohol or really anything; Dawn and water work great on eyeglasses. It is kind of cool to turn on the agitation and see the gunk come out of the little crevices
I'll use some "nastier" solutions for some parts.
Little "snap lid" containers that are common in Oregon are handy.
Little plastic "meat tubs" with a Dawn solution for eyeglasses & such.
A rinse under the faucet and air hose-
Check your screws!
Old 11-10-19, 12:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Simple Green, as stated earlier.

Even more disgusting is that I was warned by a technician at my optometrists office about coated lenses, but I had already been doing it w/o problem. it was only after repeated cleanings that the coating loosened up. I'll bet the cleaner you heard running was cleaning frames w/o lenses installed.
Simple Green is a pretty strong alkali IIRC. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-10-19, 02:33 PM
ddeand 

Thank you for the advice and opinions. Looks like Simple Green works for most.
Old 11-10-19, 04:58 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I can't really see where an ultra sonic cleaner will cleaner any faster or efficient (talking about grease and grime) than just blasting away with a good solvent cleaner and a little rubbing.
Old 11-10-19, 05:56 PM
ddeand 

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I can't really see where an ultra sonic cleaner will cleaner any faster or efficient (talking about grease and grime) than just blasting away with a good solvent cleaner and a little rubbing.
Well, that’s what I’m going to find out. Another bike hobbyist said they work well, and the bike shop I worked at used one. So, we’ll see.
Old 11-10-19, 05:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
It's lazy. Toss it in and go do something useful.
Old 11-10-19, 07:05 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
+1 for simplegreen but I also have used liquid laundry detergent with a dab of dishwasher soap. If you have a kettle handy - boiling water in the sonic cleaner means it works much much faster. Just remember to oil any moving parts after cleaning.

Also, my go to for hand cleaner is laundry detergent which doesn't seem to dry out hands.
Old 11-11-19, 01:15 AM
MoreLowGears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 5 Posts
Beware of Simple Green! I recommend finding another degreaser (there's tons of threads on all the things you can use here). Simple Green is an effective degreaser, but it's also corrosive. I've seen it eat the anti-rust coating off of two brand new chains after a single hot ultrasonic cleaner run.

Also worth mentioning: Simple Green is especially corrosive to aluminum and can eat away the nice anodized finish on your chainrings and high-end cassette. Be careful!
Old 11-11-19, 06:25 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Lots of things I'd rather do for 10 or 15 minutes than scrub chains and spill solvent.
Old 11-11-19, 07:13 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
The use of ultrasonic cleaners in the jewelry industry is ubiquitous. The solutions used have three principal components; a detergent, a de-greasing agent, and a surfactant (wetting agent). Since the first two components are generally well known, I won't waste time explaining them. The Surfactant/ wetting agent (basically the same type of stuff as Jet-Dri that one puts into the dishwashing machine) causes the cleaner to "break" or not cling to the surface of the item, usually in the form of water drops, . Thus the elimination of water spotting on glassware....
On the rare occasions when we needed a substitute for the commercially available ultrasonic cleaning solution, we found the all-purpose cleaner "Top Job" pretty effective. I suspect any cleaner containing these three components will work sufficiently well, as long as the de-greaser component is adequate for the grease present- jewelry usually isn't lathered in grease or oil; so the degreasing component isn't as proportionally high.
The heating of the solution is usually important to speed up the effectiveness of the cleaning process.
Depending on the strength of the transducers in the ultrasonic unit, there might be slight "etching" effect on some of the aluminum alloys when subjected to both heated solution and the caustic formulas. Caveat Emptor! So if you are cleaning alloy brake calipers or ungreased aluminum parts, you might want to do so with the heat turned off. Any thing greasy or oily, though, the heated solution is fabulous; especially cassettes, freewheel, and Chains!
Old 11-11-19, 07:30 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I just use dawn detergent. works fine.
Old 11-11-19, 08:41 AM
ddeand 

I’m learning a lot in this thread!
Old 11-11-19, 09:03 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 692 Posts
I use a cheap Harbor Freight tank and Simple Green. For small items I place the item in a ziplock bag with dilute simple green, fill the the tank with warm water and place the bag in the water.
Same idea as the use of the glass beaker, I just don't have any. I did consider a water glass, then I considered staying married!

Barry
Old 11-11-19, 10:30 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Would an ultrasonic cleaner help accelerate the process of Evapo-Rust?
Old 11-11-19, 10:49 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Yikes! I would NOT use anything flammable in a U/S cleaner. Almost all U/S cleaner instructions I've seen specifically warn against this. In most U/S units you have a heater. The U/S mechanism can be excellent for vaporizing stuff (there are U/S room vaporizers available). Hot vaporized min spirits or alcohol plus your heater = ???

Isn't one reason for the U/S cleaner to eliminate the need for flammable solvents?
Old 11-11-19, 12:22 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Lots of things I'd rather do for 10 or 15 minutes than scrub chains and spill solvent.
I kind of enjoy piddling around doing that kind of stuff.
Old 11-11-19, 01:15 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I also use Simple Green, but agree with morelowgears that it will affect aluminum. It will leave a dull finish on aluminum, so be aware.

For me, some of my stuff was so dirty that that it didn't matter and I was able to get the finish back on the aluminum with fine sandpaper and then Scotchbrite.
You could degrease with a mechanical action like scrubbing with a brush. The advantage of the ultrasonic is that you put your parts in and in an hour come back and they are done. No effort required.

You may also want to check out Oz Cycling YouTube video where he compares chain cleaning methods. The ultrasonic didn't win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.