Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Power Meters (Why?)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Power Meters (Why?)

Old 10-29-19, 08:34 AM
jad3675

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If powermeters were under $150, I would own one or a few.
And if there was a quality one that could easily apply to any crank, I would own one or a few.

They are really intriguing, but not tempting enough to spend $300-800 per bike.
Self-install crank based Avios can be had for around $160 from various UK sellers. Avio states they only work with Shimano cranks, but with a bit of ingenuity I was able to mount one to my Campagnolo Potenza crank. It required disassembly of the Avio, and the application of heat to bend the case so that it followed the contour of the crank.

John
Old 10-29-19, 08:44 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
If you're the type of person who likes to quantify and measure things, buy one.
If you're the type of person who could not care less, don't buy one.
In either case, stay in your lane.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 10-29-19, 09:22 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
If powermeters were under $150, I would own one or a few.
And if there was a quality one that could easily apply to any crank, I would own one or a few.

They are really intriguing, but not tempting enough to spend $300-800 per bike.
I bought a used PowerTap wheel & bits for $150 a while ago. I could swap it to different bikes, but found I mainly used it on the trainer, or just for specific workouts on the road. Didn't find a need to have power on every bike.

For that price, even if it broke, I still had the wheel to use.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-29-19, 09:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by jad3675
Self-install crank based Avios can be had for around $160 from various UK sellers. Avio states they only work with Shimano cranks, but with a bit of ingenuity I was able to mount one to my Campagnolo Potenza crank. It required disassembly of the Avio, and the application of heat to bend the case so that it followed the contour of the crank.

John
Thanks- Ill have to look into it more. I read about Avio before as it was the most affordable, but didnt want to buy a new crank or send mine overseas...i thought those were the only options. Obviously I didnt research it too much last time.

I would apply one to a Shimano HT crank and one to a Praxis Zayante crank, but all the other bikes are old cranks(from the 80s) that are almost certainly too thin to cover the meter. I could put a modern crank on one of those bikes, but ugh thats lame.
Anyways, this would take care of my gravel bike and perhaps my main road bike.

Time to do some reading!
Old 10-29-19, 09:42 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Is this a reference to the long-delayed IQ^2 power meter Kickstarter project?
There are a couple of different spd power meters supposedly in the works and, yes, the IQ2 is one of them.
Old 10-29-19, 09:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Where an issue occurs is where certain parties start to forward the notion that the collection/analysis of data somehow threatens the Zen of cycling as a pursuit. The tacit suggestion that anyone who dares take cycling away from it's origins in purity is doing it wrong.
I'm pretty sure I'm one of the posters you're talking about, and I think you're writing in a "tacit suggestion" no one is making. Saying that this kind of monitoring violates my philosophy of riding and how I best enjoy it implies absolutely nothing about whether "anyone who dares" viewing it differently is wrong. I just feel a need to state to the OP that the notion that you can't learn to ride fast without one of those devices or any other specific training regimen is nonsense, and he/she shouldn't feel as if there's something wrong if they don't desire one.

These devices are tools, and if you find the tool useful to the type of riding you do, who the heck am I to question it? But I don't think it's bashing of anything or anyone for me to say I don't want one and don't need one for the kind of riding I do.

There's a bigger issue here, which is why I'm taking the chance of pushing back against a moderator--I'm a big believer that people need to find fitness regimens that suit their own needs, and that the biggest enemy of that is people convincing them that there's only one way to do things. If that one way doesn't work for them, then they're going to be thoroughly discouraged. A lot of this is psychological, some of us work better if we monitor and record lots of data, some of us find that turns it into an unpleasant chore to be avoided. Neither group is "wrong", they're only describing what's right for them. I try to be very careful to always say "this works for me" so people know there's an option out there they can think about and/or try that may not have occurred to them--it doesn't imply that they shouldn't try the other options, only that they shouldn't feel they have to because it's the only game in town.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-19, 10:02 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

John
Does this manufacturer have a response curve for the Campy crank or is there a calibration technique used with some sort of weight being hung from the pedal? Just physically fitting the crank is really a small part of the equation. They also need to have their calculation for the dimensions of the Campy crank and how much strain the crank arm sees under a given load at the spot it is mounted. Different height and width of the cross-section of the crank arm will change the reading that the meter sees.
Old 10-29-19, 11:42 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 3,085 Times in 1,634 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm pretty sure I'm one of the posters you're talking about, and I think you're writing in a "tacit suggestion" no one is making. Saying that this kind of monitoring violates my philosophy of riding and how I best enjoy it implies absolutely nothing about whether "anyone who dares" viewing it differently is wrong. I just feel a need to state to the OP that the notion that you can't learn to ride fast without one of those devices or any other specific training regimen is nonsense, and he/she shouldn't feel as if there's something wrong if they don't desire one.

These devices are tools, and if you find the tool useful to the type of riding you do, who the heck am I to question it? But I don't think it's bashing of anything or anyone for me to say I don't want one and don't need one for the kind of riding I do.

There's a bigger issue here, which is why I'm taking the chance of pushing back against a moderator--I'm a big believer that people need to find fitness regimens that suit their own needs, and that the biggest enemy of that is people convincing them that there's only one way to do things. If that one way doesn't work for them, then they're going to be thoroughly discouraged. A lot of this is psychological, some of us work better if we monitor and record lots of data, some of us find that turns it into an unpleasant chore to be avoided. Neither group is "wrong", they're only describing what's right for them. I try to be very careful to always say "this works for me" so people know there's an option out there they can think about and/or try that may not have occurred to them--it doesn't imply that they shouldn't try the other options, only that they shouldn't feel they have to because it's the only game in town.
I agree, especially about the open-minded part - PM's work for some people, but not for others. I also think the whole racing thing is sort of besides the point. Power meters are for those who wish to have a more quantitative slant to their training or riding. I know plenty of PM users who don't race, and also plenty of racers who insist on not using power meters for various reasons. It all comes up to the individual and there is no one set of methodology that is best for everyone.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-29-19, 03:47 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,448 Posts
IMO, the number one reason to have power on the bike is to collect metrics that can be exported to remote third parties either instantaneously or post ride. I use 3rd party coaches to generate a training plan and provide feedback after my workouts. Having pedal force data in the form of torque or power provides a much better insight for the coach to make corrections to plans that support goals. And the coach can be remote versus with me at the time.

And there are the 3rd party software applications such as Zwift and Peloton that take advantage of instantaneous power metrics to enhance user experience.

I think it is more about goals and how to achieve the goals that determine the electronics, including power meters, that one selects.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-29-19, 03:56 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
IMO, the number one reason to have power on the bike is to collect metrics that can be exported to remote third parties either instantaneously or post ride. I use 3rd party coaches to generate a training plan and provide feedback after my workouts. Having pedal force data in the form of torque or power provides a much better insight for the coach to make corrections to plans that support goals. And the coach can be remote versus with me at the time.

And there are the 3rd party software applications such as Zwift and Peloton that take advantage of instantaneous power metrics to enhance user experience.

I think it is more about goals and how to achieve the goals that determine the electronics, including power meters, that one selects.
This is what I'm looking forward to. I want to ride outside during winter to some degree, but I will mostly be doing Zwift. I have my trainer ready...so having the power meter data will be great. Also, I'm a sucker for tech. It's probably dumb...but I do IT for a living, and being able to add tech to cycling to actually quantify/qualify my progress (or decline) will be amazing.
Old 10-29-19, 04:15 PM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Does this manufacturer have a response curve for the Campy crank or is there a calibration technique used with some sort of weight being hung from the pedal? Just physically fitting the crank is really a small part of the equation. They also need to have their calculation for the dimensions of the Campy crank and how much strain the crank arm sees under a given load at the spot it is mounted. Different height and width of the cross-section of the crank arm will change the reading that the meter sees.
There's a calibration you perform with a 10KG weight hung off the pedal. I though the same thing, but it's a self-install PM with no guide to where on the crank you place it or even what type of adhesive you use - other they recommend a two-part epoxy. I thought I'd give it a try, after they said it would work on a Campag crank but I'd need to send it in to be fitted. I can mis-apply epoxy just as easily as they can.

John
Old 10-29-19, 06:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

John
I'm seeing prices that are $100 more than this, since the application products are sold separately from the power meter.
It's on the radar, but $260 per crank isnt in the cards right now.

Thanks again for the tip though as its something I'll track.

May need to search specific sites too, as google doesnt bring many up.
Old 10-29-19, 07:09 PM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm seeing prices that are $100 more than this, since the application products are sold separately from the power meter.
It's on the radar, but $260 per crank isnt in the cards right now.

Thanks again for the tip though as its something I'll track.

May need to search specific sites too, as google doesnt bring many up.
I got mine from probikekit - they had two versions listed, I got the cheaper one. Check out powermetershop.de - they had good pricing.

John
Old 11-06-19, 10:09 AM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I got mine from probikekit - they had two versions listed, I got the cheaper one. Check out powermetershop.de - they had good pricing.

John
PBK has the Avio for Shimano 105 crank sensor for $188 - https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-p.../12180882.html - this is the unit I used on my Campagnolo crank. The device is not flat, it has a curve to it. Specs say it should fit most Shimano Cranks. It places the battery close to the crank. The other model places the battery at the pedal end.

GOLD12 coupon code will knock 12% of the price, too.
Old 11-08-19, 04:52 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
I bought a used Garmin single-pedal system off CL last summer to train for consistent power output for climbing. I wanted data in addition to HR to train with, rather than piling on junk miles. Then everything got derailed. Looking forward to starting over in the spring. If you’re curious, look for a used PM.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 11-12-19, 11:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

John
The Avio is on probikekit now for $188 before the cost of installation kit.

Question for you since you have home installed it- could it be temporarily installed on a crank using something like 3m releasable tape?
Thinking about using it for the winter on the trainer bike then attaching it to one of my road bikes come spring for outdoor use.

Wasnt sure if a thin layer like the releasable tape somehow messes with power readings?

If this is isnt possible, I will end up attaching the PM to a crank on one of my outdoor bikes, then moving that crank and bottom bracket to the trainer bike. Just hoping to reduce work.
Old 11-12-19, 12:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
If you are going down the Power Meter route I would recommend going with an accurate supported unit. An inaccurate or unreliable unit will serve little or no purpose. DC Rainmaker as mentioned earlier is the sports tech guru in this space and I would strongly recommend going with his recommendations.
Old 11-13-19, 10:40 AM
Prim8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for a cheap power meter option, I have a PowerTap PowerCal that if I remember correctly was around $100. While not considered a true (it uses an algorithm based on heartbeat) power meter. I have been using it for a couple of years and I like it. While definitely not as accurate as a true power meter it works well for what I do. When I do my usual rides the results are pretty consistent. Below is a quote from DC Rainmaker on it.

"PowerCal isn't marketed as a 100% accurate power meter. Nor as a tool for elite athletes (or any advanced athlete) to use as a hard core pacing device in a race or even day to day training. Instead, what it does offer is a low-cost method of getting a rough order of magnitude of your power level on a given ride."
Old 11-13-19, 10:44 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Prim8
If you are looking for a cheap power meter option, I have a PowerTap PowerCal that if I remember correctly was around $100. While not considered a true (it uses an algorithm based on heartbeat) power meter. I have been using it for a couple of years and I like it. While definitely not as accurate as a true power meter it works well for what I do.
How is that different from the guesstimate Garmin/Strava/MMR/RWGPS make based on weight, speed, and HR?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-13-19, 10:57 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
A.) Why not?

B.) The best objective training metric.

C.) Power meters never lie.
Old 11-13-19, 10:57 AM
Prim8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
How is that different from the guesstimate Garmin/Strava/MMR/RWGPS make based on weight, speed, and HR?
I have only used Garmin so I don't know about the others. I could be wrong, but I don't think that Garmin provides power stats via "guesstimate". I think it requires a sensor providing data.
Old 11-13-19, 11:21 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Most of the guys I ride with have PMs. Most of them also tell me they don't do anything with the data. They just come out to ride with the group, just like me. I don't have one, but they are always sending me ads and specials about this and that, enticing me. If they were a lot cheaper than maybe I might consider it. I wouldn't do anything with the data either as I don't train; I just ride, and I am fast enough to keep up with the guys I ride with. I've no interest in training. I'm sure that if I were training that I'd get one. If I rode indoors I'd get one.
Old 11-14-19, 12:14 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You need a power meter if you want to objectively measure your efforts in a repeatable, precise manner. Less commonly, if you need to relate your efforts to some measure of speed.

If you're training seriously but not racing (and if someone has to ask "why" they'll never understand), it just depends on how precise you want that data to be.
How is that any better than speed / time? It does not measure the most important thing - winning. And it does not measure speed. Targeting power may not help either (and I am very serious about racing).

I have not seen the power training folks go faster than those that don't.

Cameron Wurf - 2X Kona record breaker - no PM
Taylor Phinney - no PM
(those are public with videos)

Many racers have them. Our current USA kids do too. USAC coaches get all excited about power too.

If you want to go faster, measuring speed is more results oriented.

Last edited by Doge; 11-14-19 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-14-19, 12:28 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
It does not measure the most important thing - winning.
The Eddy Merckx training method. How to prepare for smashing the hour record? Win a bunch of races!
Old 11-14-19, 12:30 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
If you want to go faster, measuring speed is more results oriented.
Except that other that between the green and checkered flags, speed is a meaningless metric. I could draft a van all day and do a century at a 30mph average. Or I could just ride downhill. Or one day the wind is in my face and the other is at my back.

Speed is in not always indicative of effort. A power meter shows work done and ignores speed altogether. Anyone who has ever ridden up a hill knows it can take every bit as much work to climb a hill at 7mph as to cruise on flat ground at +20mph.

A power meter is one way to eliminate a lot of variables.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.