Vegasclimber
Typical MAMIL

Bikes: 2011 CAAD-10, 2017 Evo HiMod Team Di2, 2018 Quick 5 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nevada Riders Roll Call

Was just wondering if there are any Nevada riders on the forum, as the state doesn't seem to come up very often. Anyone want to share your favorite rides, events, bike groups etc?

My wife and I are in Las Vegas, and as we live in the SW the Red Rock/Blue Diamond loop is our usual training area. We did the Bike MS event and the Tour de Summerlin this year, don't think we will be repeating either of those. Heading into Utah this weekend for Ride the Gap.
Old 06-26-18, 03:41 PM
ukwildcat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Reno, NV.
Also looking for info.
Old 07-18-18, 09:25 PM
. Cranky .
Idiot Pro Tempore

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 23 Posts
N Red Rock Rd on the north side of Reno is an enjoyable ride. There are rolling hills on the south end, it's fairly flat up by the California border, and there's a decent climb to get from the northern half to the southern half. You can park at Mayors Park.
Old 07-23-18, 01:20 PM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any recomended gravel trails or super low traffic routes near Vegas? I'm not at all familiar with the area.

Last edited by fantom1; 07-26-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 06:15 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
River Mountain Trail

The River Mountain Trail at the east end of the valley in Henderson is about as low traffic (none) as you can get https://rivermountainstrail.org/ but right now with temperatures above 105 degrees, you will not want to ride it after about 10am. It's 35 miles long. There are over 250 miles of trails, MUPS, and marked bike lanes across the valley. So many, that it is hard to recommend just one. Also lots of the streets are very wide compared to much of the rest of the US so even if a street is 45 mph you may be able to ride on it quite comfortably. The RTC has a brand new bike map for Southern Nevada. You can pick up a copy at any bike shop or use the one that is online https://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/up...keBrochure.pdf. I don't do off-road so can't help with gravel trails.
Old 08-01-18, 12:38 AM
Vegasclimber
Typical MAMIL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to check in at the McGhies Bike Outpost in Blue Diamond for gravel related stuff, there are a lot of mountain bike trails on the highway towards Pahrump, in the SW, and some of them are pretty easy going. I live in the SW near the 215 and Durango, and there are areas out here that are low traffic. The wife and I ride at night during this time of year and rarely see cars out where we go, all paved for us though.
Old 08-09-18, 05:45 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Live in Henderson, I get around.

Short rides on the Union Pacific and out to Southern Highlands lately. But I enjoy the River Mountain Loop and getting out to Blue Diamond and Red Rocks. Pink Box Donuts is a nice refresher.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-20-18, 12:43 PM
Ando198

Bikes: Stumpy, Roubaix, Crux, TeamElite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by . Cranky .
N Red Rock Rd on the north side of Reno is an enjoyable ride. There are rolling hills on the south end, it's fairly flat up by the California border, and there's a decent climb to get from the northern half to the southern half. You can park at Mayors Park.
How's traffic on that road? It doesn't look like there's a shoulder.
Old 08-27-18, 11:52 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegasclimber
Was just wondering if there are any Nevada riders on the forum, as the state doesn't seem to come up very often. Anyone want to share your favorite rides, events, bike groups etc?

My wife and I are in Las Vegas, and as we live in the SW the Red Rock/Blue Diamond loop is our usual training area. We did the Bike MS event and the Tour de Summerlin this year, don't think we will be repeating either of those. Heading into Utah this weekend for Ride the Gap.
I moved to Henderson a year ago. I spend a lot of time on the UP Trail to River Mountain Loop Trail and Wilderness Park. Will include a loop in the Lake Las Vegas development and sometimes the airport loop in Boulder City. As for events, I rode Tour de Summerlin in LV, and Spring Tour of St George, Ride the Gap, and Desperado Duel in SW Utah this year. I've also ridden up on Mt Charleston and the Red Rock areas several times. I rode three times with the Las Vegas Valley Bicycle Club (twice on vacation trips, once since moving) on rides in the northwest part of LV, but probably won't in the future because they were an unsafe group that frequently ran red lights and stop signs, split lanes, etc. basically not concerned with rules of the road. Now I see they have a League- certified cycling instructor at the helm of their club, but I haven't ridden with them to see if she has started to change the culture of that group. I've joined Green Valley Cycling Club in Henderson, but haven't ridden with them yet. They have quite a few routes that are posted on their site and expect to join a ride with them soon.

Safe rides!
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Last edited by SpeedofLite; 08-31-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 05:07 PM
Vegasclimber
Typical MAMIL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to see folks posting up!

I met some folks from the Green Valley club during the I-11 ride, and they seemed like good people. I won't be back for TdS, wasn't really impressed with the support there. Our scheduled big rides for this next year are:

Tour de St George - Fall
Tour de Cure - Phoenix
Rosarito - Ensenada
Ride the Gap
Seattle to Portland

Hoping to add a couple 2 or 3 day bikepacking tours in there as well. If anyone is planning to attend any of these events, we always enjoy meeting up with other locals before or after the ride!
Old 09-06-18, 05:39 PM
Daspydyr 

Originally Posted by Vegasclimber
Nice to see folks posting up!

I met some folks from the Green Valley club during the I-11 ride, and they seemed like good people. I won't be back for TdS, wasn't really impressed with the support there. Our scheduled big rides for this next year are:

Tour de St George - Fall
Tour de Cure - Phoenix
Rosarito - Ensenada
Ride the Gap
Seattle to Portland

Hoping to add a couple 2 or 3 day bikepacking tours in there as well. If anyone is planning to attend any of these events, we always enjoy meeting up with other locals before or after the ride!
Three Feet for Pete is a great community ride.
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
This is a good ride to meet the different clubs and riders.

Park to Park is a great Century and shorter ride. The dinner at the end is cowboy dutch oven and is awesome!
Park to Park Pedal Bicycle Century Ride in Lincoln County Nevada | State Parks Division | Best Road Cycling Century Ride in Lincoln County, NV

Old 09-07-18, 12:46 PM
TBeghtol

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having only very recently returned to riding I am enjoying the (somewhat) cooler weather in the mornings.
Working on building my strength and endurance, kind of challenging at present.

Anyone in the Northeast part of Las Vegas/North Las Vegas interested in leisurely rides in the area culminating in coffee?

Or, any advice on low stress group rides in the North to Northwest part of town?
Old 09-11-18, 12:29 PM
Daspydyr 

Originally Posted by TBeghtol
Having only very recently returned to riding I am enjoying the (somewhat) cooler weather in the mornings.
Working on building my strength and endurance, kind of challenging at present.

Anyone in the Northeast part of Las Vegas/North Las Vegas interested in leisurely rides in the area culminating in coffee?

Or, any advice on low stress group rides in the North to Northwest part of town?
Check with local bike shops at your end of town. If you have a favorite, that is a good place to start. Most shops know of the local clubs and riding groups. There is always someone wanting a smooth ride and a cup of coffee. Great start to any day. It is nice to have mornings that don't start in the 90's anymore. Get those miles in now!

Old 11-17-18, 08:28 PM
. Cranky .
Idiot Pro Tempore

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Ando198
How's traffic on that road? It doesn't look like there's a shoulder.
Traffic is light, and generally pretty courteous due to it being a small town up there. Like anywhere, you'll get the occasional close-pass.
Old 04-06-19, 10:12 AM
JoshuaTSR

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Homegrown FS

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm in NLV and ride to and from work. Not too far but far enough.
I also have a few vintage bikes and wanted to attend obc but I have a lot going on. I'm down for a leisure ride on Saturday's.
Old 05-28-19, 12:27 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Reno here - ride 4-5 times a week on road, mountain, or gravel.

With some exceptions, I'm not too impressed with the road riding here due to either bad roads, fast traffic, or both. That said, I love the loop into Virginia City, Carson City, and Washoe Valley - especially the climb up Geiger and the descent down the other side (using the truck route that bypasses Gold Hill). I find myself on the mountain bike or gravel bike a little more with so much good stuff nearby.

Anyone else training for the Death Ride this July?
Old 06-06-19, 04:07 PM
Daspydyr 

Originally Posted by ridethetown
Reno here - ride 4-5 times a week on road, mountain, or gravel.

With some exceptions, I'm not too impressed with the road riding here due to either bad roads, fast traffic, or both. That said, I love the loop into Virginia City, Carson City, and Washoe Valley - especially the climb up Geiger and the descent down the other side (using the truck route that bypasses Gold Hill). I find myself on the mountain bike or gravel bike a little more with so much good stuff nearby.

Anyone else training for the Death Ride this July?
Death Ride, that used to be on my radar. Not any longer. But I think you should and post lots of pictures of the ride and your bike computer showing temps.

There used to be a Pony Express ride from the Reno area east. They rerode many of the miles the Pony Express rode. I need to take a week off and do some of that gravel grinding.

Old 06-18-19, 12:28 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Reno here. Lots of riding with the Procrastinating Pedalers. Have done the Verdi ride so many times I think I could do it blindfolded... Lately have been using the SW Connector path a lot to connect rides North/South. Wishing City of Reno would clear the homeless off of and repair the Bike/Walking paved trail by the river but I'm doubtful our current Mayor has any appetite to do anything considered controversial or confrontational for fear of losing her left leaning voter base.

Trying to branch out and ride old US 395 more. Also wondering what it's like riding up Red Rock Road towards North US 395 from Stead and back? May drive that this week and plan it for a weekend if the road looks okay.
Likes For ronin4740:
Old 06-26-19, 04:54 PM
Daspydyr 

Hey Ronin, I just received a promotional flyer for a Century ride next Sept. The Edible Pedal? Have you heard of it? It looks like a huge change of scenery from Vegas riding.

Old 06-27-19, 02:43 PM
ronin4740

Daspydyr - I hear its a great ride. Well supported, fun and great stuff to snack on along the way... but I've never been able to ride it as it's the same weekend as the Reno Air Races which I volunteer at. Still if you feel up to coming up for it I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.
Old 08-14-19, 12:13 PM
Ando198

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Reno here. Lots of riding with the Procrastinating Pedalers. Have done the Verdi ride so many times I think I could do it blindfolded... Lately have been using the SW Connector path a lot to connect rides North/South. Wishing City of Reno would clear the homeless off of and repair the Bike/Walking paved trail by the river but I'm doubtful our current Mayor has any appetite to do anything considered controversial or confrontational for fear of losing her left leaning voter base.

Trying to branch out and ride old US 395 more. Also wondering what it's like riding up Red Rock Road towards North US 395 from Stead and back? May drive that this week and plan it for a weekend if the road looks okay.
Did you end up checking out Red Rock Road? I'm curious to hear how it is for a road ride. From Google Maps it doesn't look like it would feel all that safe with little shoulder and high speed limits.
Old 08-16-19, 03:18 PM
ronin4740

Did you end up checking out Red Rock Road? I'm curious to hear how it is for a road ride. From Google Maps it doesn't look like it would feel all that safe with little shoulder and high speed limits.
Ando - I rode part of it a few weeks ago. There wasn't a lot of traffic but there also wasn't much in the way of a shoulder to ride on. I turned around about 15 miles from the convenience store on Red Rock Road near 395... Got honked at by a few folks on the way back in as I was taking a good chunk of the lane to stay out of the bad parts of the road which were on the shoulder heading south...

Can't recommend it.
Old 08-16-19, 03:21 PM
Ando198

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Ando - I rode part of it a few weeks ago. There wasn't a lot of traffic but there also wasn't much in the way of a shoulder to ride on. I turned around about 15 miles from the convenience store on Red Rock Road near 395... Got honked at by a few folks on the way back in as I was taking a good chunk of the lane to stay out of the bad parts of the road which were on the shoulder heading south...

Can't recommend it.
That's too bad. Thanks for reporting back. I'll cross it off the list.
Old 08-16-19, 03:31 PM
ronin4740

That's too bad. Thanks for reporting back. I'll cross it off the list.
If you're local maybe drive it and see for yourself... Might be better on a weekend vs. 5-7pm on a work day as well (which is when I rode it)

Chris
Old 11-15-19, 11:09 PM
Slowridr

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Any good rides from the Vegas strip? I know about red rock and will probably be doing that again. Anything else?

I left the snow behind in Toronto and doing a little cycling vacation in Santa Monica right now. Headed to Vegas for a few days. Unfortunately I'm returning rental car so will have to leave from the Vegas strip. Love red rock. Done it a few times. I'm guessing that's my only choice

Was looking at Mt Charleston. How is it. Worth getting a rental for a day and driving out? Looks like a serious ride. How's the decent?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.