Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Emerson Professor struck by train while on bike

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-23-19, 07:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts

heard about this, this morning. watching the video on TV this morning it looked like one train can be stopped blocking your view of another oncoming train. I wonder if that's what happened & if maybe there should be a crossing gate that closes when a train is approaching like they have for cars

excerpt:
"Moses Shumow was riding his bicycle on a pedestrian "cut-through" lane at Beverly Depot station in Massachusetts Tuesday morning when he was struck by a train. Shumow, an associate professor, was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died of his injuries"

https://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...563691281.html

Old 10-23-19, 08:24 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
That sucks. In my town, if there is already a light rail train in a station, an arriving train will wait until it departs so that there is only one train at a time in the station.
Old 10-23-19, 10:26 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Tragic but ... rare? I'm thinking yes. I'm guessing there aren't significant (any?) numbers of commuters being hit by trains in stations in this city. So I wouldn't even speculate as to a 'fix'. None is indicated. None is warranted. Sounds like the deceased made an impact on his colleagues and students in a fairly short time.
Old 10-23-19, 10:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
heard about this, this morning. watching the video on TV this morning it looked like one train can be stopped blocking your view of another oncoming train. I wonder if that's what happened & if maybe there should be a crossing gate that closes when a train is approaching like they have for cars

excerpt:
"Moses Shumow was riding his bicycle on a pedestrian "cut-through" lane at Beverly Depot station in Massachusetts Tuesday morning when he was struck by a train. Shumow, an associate professor, was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died of his injuries"

https://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...563691281.html

I knew someone who got killed in California while she was crossing tracks on foot at a similar place. It's really the same situation as a vehicle in one lane screening the second lane from view of the pedestrian at a crosswalk, and that's a major cause of pedestrian fatalities.
Old 10-23-19, 02:16 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
The familiarity of an area can also be an issue in many of the train incidents.

I had a friend who fortunately escaped serious injury when a train struck their car. Their house was along the bank of the Mississippi River with a common neighborhood access road that had to cross tracks to reach the highway. The driver was so accustomed to constantly crossing the tracks that it became commonplace and he got careless about it. Fortunately the train just clipped the car, but 6 feet more and he would have been gone.

I think we all fall victim to the familiar without noticing. I know that I pay more attention and am more cautious when driving or biking in an area that is new or unfamiliar. Add in stress, haste, distraction, etc. and it is a formula for disaster. Unfortunately, when the conflict is between a human and a train, the train almost always wins. Can they add more gates, more signs? Sure - but it is impossible to remove the human element. I have to constantly remind myself to drive or ride defensively.

As a side note - I recently read that pedestrian and bicycle deaths from auto accidents are up nationwide - forgot the exact figures and can't find the documentation now. The article did list distraction as a significant factor.

Likes For MNebiker:
Old 10-24-19, 05:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
heard about this, this morning. watching the video on TV this morning it looked like one train can be stopped blocking your view of another oncoming train.

I wonder if that's what happened & if maybe there should be a crossing gate that closes when a train is approaching like they have for cars
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
That sucks. In my town, if there is already a light rail train in a station, an arriving train will wait until it departs so that there is only one train at a time in the station.
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Tragic but ... rare? I'm thinking yes. I'm guessing there aren't significant (any?) numbers of commuters being hit by trains in stations in this city. So I wouldn't even speculate as to a 'fix'.

None is indicated. None is warranted…
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I knew someone who got killed in California while she was crossing tracks on foot at a similar place.

It's really the same situation as a vehicle in one lane screening the second lane from view of the pedestrian at a crosswalk, and that's a major cause of pedestrian fatalities.
Thanks for this post, @rumrunn6. I’m a fellow Metro Bostonian with him.

My routine cycle commute parallels a Commuter Rail line, even with a convenient station within a few 100 yards of my workplace. It does have those pedestrian crosswalks across the tracks of the two parallel in- and outbound routes. When the two trains are in the station, the later train always stops short, as described by @SactoDoug.

The trains discharging passengers always wait until the conductor has observer all the riders crossing the path from the right-sided exits of the train. I presume the engineer has a view of anyone crossing from the other side.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So often on these threads about calamities or near misses, I post about my mindset that I believe gives me that extra edge...
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface."...

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms:

4. You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in
driver’s ed)
5…9…

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
Since the station is so close and I don't want to wait outside, I may cut it close to get there. Occasionally when I'm rushing to catch my outbound train home as it is in, or approaching the station, I have to carefully consider crossing the tracks, especially if the train should start traveling again.

In my case, and in the incident of the OP, I think #4 best applies, "You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you," particularly when your view of intersecting traffic is obstructed, and the oncoming vehicle is a locomotive.

I am always attentive to the street crossings in these well-populated suburbs, and wait for the crossing gate to lift. Once though, a couple decades ago while riding in Detroit, myself and a line of cars was stopped at a RR crossing. After the train was well-passed and out of sight, the gate still did not lift. Since I was at the head of the line, I manually pushed the gate up, opening the road ahead; my only violation of a RR crossing.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-24-19 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 05:54 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Having worked a few train/pedestrian scenes I think it all boils down to this; you only have to vigilant around train tracks. No train ever turned in front of someone, ran a stop sign or changed lanes without signaling. It's tragic that these things happen but they do, with some regularity. RIP to the person in OP and all the others who make the mistake of not giving the laws of physics the proper attention it deserves.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-24-19, 07:26 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
"Hit by a train" might well be the most avoidable cause of death on earth. While the train may have been the mechanism in this case, complacency was the cause.

complacency: [kuh m-pley-suh n see] noun, a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like
Old 10-24-19, 07:40 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I would suspect that well over half of these deaths are suicides. How can a person, 1.) Not hear the train coming, and 2.) not look up and see a train coming before they step across RR tracks? Seems unfathomable without severe intoxication or a death wish.

But the state of mind of the deceased at the time of death can be difficult to prove, and relatives may not want to believe the person actually killed themselves, so they might prefer to believe it was an accident, and may even sue the railroad on the theory it was an accident. Or maybe they know the person killed themselves, but are trying to squeeze some money out of the RR.

I'm telling you though, if I was on a jury of one of these cases, I would have a very difficult time believing the RR had any fault when someone steps into the path of an oncoming train, with three blinding headlights, no ability to steer, and whose horn can be easily heard from 5 miles away.
Old 10-24-19, 11:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I would suspect that well over half of these deaths are suicides. How can a person, 1.) Not hear the train coming, and 2.) not look up and see a train coming before they step across RR tracks? Seems unfathomable without severe intoxication or a death wish.

But the state of mind of the deceased at the time of death can be difficult to prove, and relatives may not want to believe the person actually killed themselves, so they might prefer to believe it was an accident, and may even sue the railroad on the theory it was an accident. Or maybe they know the person killed themselves, but are trying to squeeze some money out of the RR.

I'm telling you though, if I was on a jury of one of these cases, I would have a very difficult time believing the RR had any fault when someone steps into the path of an oncoming train, with three blinding headlights, no ability to steer, and whose horn can be easily heard from 5 miles away.
So here's how it happened to the person I knew--the Caltrain has express and local trains running the same route on different tracks. When the local train stops at a platform, the express train passes on the track to the left of the local train. She crossed in front of the local train, which screened her view of the express track. As she stepped out from in front of the local train, she was struck by a locomotive going more than 50 mph. She wasn't around to ask afterwards, but I would guess the sound of the idling locomotive on the platform didn't allow her to hear the oncoming train.
Old 10-25-19, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,267 Times in 7,222 Posts
heard about this, this morning. watching the video on TV this morning it looked like one train can be stopped blocking your view of another oncoming train.
If you didn't before, now you know why you often see signs at grade crossings indicating the number of tracks. E.g., "TWO TRACKS" When there are multiple tracks you should always wait for the lights to stop flashing before proceeding through a crossing because there could be another train coming from your right that you cannot see due to the train that just passed through the crossing. I have led bike rides where I have had to tell people in the group top wait after a train has passed.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-25-19, 08:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,267 Times in 7,222 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I work in the rail industry. While suicide by train is a thing, you have to understand that modern locomotives are a lot quieter these days. It's not possible to tell from the photo, but in this instance we could be talking about an electrified railroad. Those locomotives are usually even quieter than diesel-electric power, especially when coasting. You also have to ask whether the deceased was wearing something like ear buds. As for sight, as it's been pointed out, one can be screened when there are two tracks. This sort of thing has happened plenty of times before with both cars and pedestrians.

BTW...Something like this is usually quite traumatic for the engineer. It has been reported that a victim's eyes seem the size of grapefruits when he/she realizes they just made a deadly mistake.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-25-19, 09:09 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's not possible to tell from the photo, but in this instance we could be talking about an electrified railroad.
It's possible to tell without a photo. In fact the MBTA Commuter Rail trains are all diesel-electric locomotives.

Moses Shumow Obituary: Former FIU Journalism Professor Leaves Lasting Legacy of Empathy

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-25-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-25-19, 10:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I work in the rail industry. While suicide by train is a thing, you have to understand that modern locomotives are a lot quieter these days. It's not possible to tell from the photo, but in this instance we could be talking about an electrified railroad. Those locomotives are usually even quieter than diesel-electric power, especially when coasting. You also have to ask whether the deceased was wearing something like ear buds. As for sight, as it's been pointed out, one can be screened when there are two tracks. This sort of thing has happened plenty of times before with both cars and pedestrians.

BTW...Something like this is usually quite traumatic for the engineer. It has been reported that a victim's eyes seem the size of grapefruits when he/she realizes they just made a deadly mistake.

Mr. Bill has correctly identified this as a diesel line. However, it's a Chicago-style push-pull system with a locomotive at one end only, so half of the time the train is headed by a passenger car with a cab in the front. I can hear these trains coming from pretty far off, but have no idea what the ambient noise is like at that crossing, or if two trains were involved.
Old 10-25-19, 11:15 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
The driver was so accustomed to constantly crossing the tracks that it became commonplace and he got careless about it. [..] I think we all fall victim to the familiar without noticing.
While a local highway was under construction, changing from a two-lane to four, they'd close two lanes at a time to work on them and let people drive on the other two. People coming up from side streets got used to just driving across the half that was closed without even looking. On the day they opened all four lanes to normal traffic we had two t-bones with people who didn't realize it was open and just cruised across without looking just like they were used to. After that the state put up electric portable signs saying USE CAUTION - ALL LANES IN USE. So yeah - complacency. Also, signage.
Old 10-25-19, 02:30 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Most train accidents involve a "hidden" train. Especially at crossings where there are no gates. The motorist at the head of the line (who has been delayed the longest) fires up the engine when the last car comes into sight and the INSTANT the train passes the road that motorist in front blasts off right in front of a train coming the opposite way totally eclipsed by the first train. Very very common. Pedestrians as well. Same issue.

I've seen it personally where a bunch of tourists were about to step out in front of a trolley hidden by a train in New Orleans. I likely saved someone's life by shouting at the group as they began to spring out from behind the passed train with a trolley on the next track. I know to look UNDER the train blocking my view of parallel tracks behind it. And look both ways like at any other road crossing.

So remember: It's the SECOND train that gets you! Same with auto/truck traffic. Rule #1 . IF YOU CAN'T SEE, YOU CAN'T GO.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-25-19, 11:20 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
...Same with auto/truck traffic. Rule #1 . IF YOU CAN'T SEE, YOU CAN'T GO.
Yep. That's why I felt frustrated when drivers in one lane decided to block an intersection (no traffic light), with a long line of traffic at a standstill: as a result, I couldn't see the other lane at all, whether there were any vehicles coming.

My only guess was that, perhaps, the drivers were concerned that, if they left room at the intersection for others on the sidestreets to cross or turn in the lane in front of them, that they'd, continually, have other drivers keep cutting in front of them. But, all I wanted to do was cross the road, not "cut in front of them."

There's a reason why signs exist, saying, "Do Not Block Intersection."

Last edited by anon06; 10-25-19 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 11:54 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
excerpt:

For years, I lived in a place with a "light rail" system that had plenty of these cut-through lanes at the stations. They definitely required sensible riding and awareness of all inbound and outbound trains. Nature of the beast.

My own guideline when crossing such things: , assuming that tracks = oncoming train, unless visually confirmed otherwise. Might usually be the case that there's not one there, not one coming. But the risk of betting incorrectly on that one can be deadly. It is what it is.

IF there's a clear and unobstructed view, then I can visually and aurally confirm whether there's another train on the other side of the first one. Else, I'll assume there's one there, barreling along, and capable of striking me the moment I dip a toe onto those other tracks.

Same as on a city street, with cars.

No telling exactly what this guy's particular circumstances and thought processes were, but it looks like he wasn't cautious enough by half.
Old 10-26-19, 12:41 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
People may tend to believe there are warning gates, lights or bells to alert them but not only isn't this necessarily the case, they also don't look for the train or have distractions such as loud music or earphones/headsets for their devices...or they just cross because they've never seen a train on those tracks.

Union Pacific has operated events here in the past to promote safety but it has been a while. There is Operation Lifesaver with ads featuring a man who crossed the tracks everyday and never paid attention until his last ride was in a hearse.

The ads for the air conditioners and heaters that say, "It's hard to stop a Trane" aren't just wordplay.

Last edited by Rollfast; 10-26-19 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 12:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I'm surprised they allow people to ride the bike across the tracks in the station rather than forcing people to get off their bikes and walk across the tracks which may promote more vigilance.

Busy rail stations usually have a couple of different solutions (for pedestrians).
  • Single end entry/exit. This allows one to simply walk on the platform from track to track without actually crossing rails.
  • Underground walkways. A bit of a pain to go down and up, but again, no way to get on the rails.
  • Our local Amtrak controls the crossing to only allow crossing at certain boarding times.
  • Pedestrian bridges (usually over all the tracks)
Old 10-26-19, 03:59 AM
Jim from Boston

...When the two trains are in the station, the later train always stops short, as described by @SactoDoug.

The trains discharging passengers always wait until the conductor has observer all the riders crossing the path from the right-sided exits of the train. I presume the engineer has a view of anyone crossing from the other side….
Mr. Bill has correctly identified this as a diesel line. However, it's a Chicago-style push-pull system with a locomotive at one end only, so half of the time the train is headed by a passenger car with a cab in the front. I can hear these trains coming from pretty far off, but have no idea what the ambient noise is like at that crossing, or if two trains were involved.

[Addendum:]
Originally Posted by CliffordK
So, do the trains have a video system so that the engineers can see what is going on in front of the train no matter which direction it is going?

Obviously they can't stop on a dime, but they can blast a horn that'll wake the dead.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
In a single locomotive push-pull train there is a locomotive on one end and a cab car at the other end. The engineer moves to the appropriate control cab.
Thanks for that comment @livedarklions; indeed that is how the trains are configured. I guess the one train only in the station rule applies here, at least on the trains on my line.

In fact, I know my inbound train homeward is delayed when the outbound signal light is red and that train will wait outside the station perimeter for mine to pass.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-26-19 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added Addendum by CliffordK and mr_bill
Old 10-26-19, 04:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
So, do the trains have a video system so that the engineers can see what is going on in front of the train no matter which direction it is going?

Obviously they can't stop on a dime, but they can blast a horn that'll wake the dead.
Old 10-26-19, 08:24 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
In a single locomotive push-pull train there is a locomotive on one end and a cab car at the other end. The engineer moves to the appropriate control cab.

Beverley grade crossings and station are “quiet zones” - no horns except in an emergency. There is no report of a horn used.

The trains enter the station sounding bells, which could are not much louder than an idling diesel-electric locomotive.

It will be months and months before a report is released.

-mr. bill
Old 10-26-19, 08:33 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
This -

Originally Posted by MNebiker
The familiarity of an area can also be an issue in many of the train incidents.

I had a friend who fortunately escaped serious injury when a train struck their car. Their house was along the bank of the Mississippi River with a common neighborhood access road that had to cross tracks to reach the highway. The driver was so accustomed to constantly crossing the tracks that it became commonplace and he got careless about it. Fortunately the train just clipped the car, but 6 feet more and he would have been gone.

I think we all fall victim to the familiar without noticing. I know that I pay more attention and am more cautious when driving or biking in an area that is new or unfamiliar. Add in stress, haste, distraction, etc. and it is a formula for disaster. Unfortunately, when the conflict is between a human and a train, the train almost always wins. Can they add more gates, more signs? Sure - but it is impossible to remove the human element. I have to constantly remind myself to drive or ride defensively.

As a side note - I recently read that pedestrian and bicycle deaths from auto accidents are up nationwide - forgot the exact figures and can't find the documentation now. The article did list distraction as a significant factor.

Several years ago I watched a video in which a friend struck someone in another vehicle. My friend had a dash-cam mounted and the other person rolled up to the road from on a long gravel drive, and pulled dead into my friend's path without checking up.

The other person died. My friend was traumatized for a long while afterwards.

RE, the incident in question: I'm saddened for the professor's family. The event comes as a painful and visceral reminder that our life can change, or end, in an instant.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 10-26-19, 09:47 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm surprised they allow people to ride the bike across the tracks in the station rather than forcing people to get off their bikes and walk across the tracks which may promote more vigilance.

Busy rail stations usually have a couple of different solutions (for pedestrians)...
The pedestrian RR crossings on the Commuter Rail lines I am familiar with, including the Beverly Depot station in the OP incident are only a few yards long and wide since the train tracks run closely parallel to each other.

Otherwise the tracks, at least in the station, are separated by a chain link fence. Outside of the stations, I’m sure the RR rights of way are fenced off too.

Of a historical note,
Originally Posted by jitenshajin
...I remember reading about Thomas Stevens, born 1854 in Hertfordshire, England. He was the first person to circle the globe by bicycle. He rode a large-wheeled Ordinary, commonly known as a penny-farthing, from April 1884 to December 1886. This made him the world’s first ever bicycle touring adventurist and one that traveled it in a very impressive way…

https://kickasstrips.com/2013/07/tho...thing-in-1885/

The tales of his exploits can be read in two volumes which are free to download in several formats at Gutenburg.org, Entitled "Around the World by Bicycle - Volumes 1 & 2."

Books by Stevens, Thomas (sorted by popularity) - Project Gutenberg
Years ago I read the first volume, of his trip across the US. I specifically recall he was certainly a man of his times. He carried a revolver, and once referred to an Asian man as “John Chinaman.” :

One memorable description was riding on a trestle railroad bridge, and as a train approached he had to hang on underneath dangling his penny-farthing bicycle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.