Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 08:35 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
The ELEMNT and Bolt assume you'll use your phone for navigation and don't work well for it.
Are you saying that that Elemnt and Bolt require your phone to navigate because that is wrong. It synchs your routes from RWGPS, Kamoots, and gives you TBT directions. Go to your settings and you can see which maps have been downloaded to the unit.
Old 11-12-19, 08:43 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
Looking around at finally pulling the trigger on a GPS. I've been doing alot of reading and seems like wahoo computers get great reviews. The wahoo element bolt gives a lot of bang for your buck. The wahoo roam seems like a lot of extra money it would be the upper end of my budget as well, but seems to have a few nicer fearures. The garmin's devices seem to have mixed reviews. Anyone thoughts and experiences would be great. Hoping for some sales for the holidays. I'm not a competitive cyclist by any stretch, I commute, want to be able to track or plan with turn by turn, speed, distance, tracking climbing etc, nothing crazy beyond that. Dont care about my heart rate, cadence or intervals.
I have a Garmin Edge 820. The primary thing I *don't* like about it is that when you plug it in to charge, it powers up. When you unplug it, it powers up. Garmin says this is because they're trying to make it easier to use with a computer for data transfer. In my opinion, for a GPS that has both wifi and bluetooth, this is a terrible optimization; who ever plugs the Edge 820 into a computer? Mine just syncs with my phone.

Aside from that wart, it's been a great GPS, and I would recommend it or its successor the 830 anytime. The 820 has turn by turn routing with street names, integration with both Garmin and Strava routing, automatic uploads to your device, multiple ride profiles, realtime ride data sharing (share your location with a loved-one for example, as you're riding), integration with your phone's notifications as well as ability to read and respond to text messages, connectivity to sensors such as heart rate, power, cadence, speed, and even rear-facing proximity sensors.

The 830 is a refresh, with better screen than the 820, and a few other perks. If my 820 weren't less than a year old I'd upgrade to the 830.

If you are more concerned with mapping, and less with performance information, you might consider one of the 'Explore' models. The 1030 Explore is a really great GPS with a larger screen than the 8x0 series, but without the ability to connect external sensors such as heart rate. The 1030 (not Explore) has both sensor connectivity and larger screen.

Last edited by daoswald; 11-12-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-12-19, 09:12 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
The Wahoo will give you turn by turn directions, which the phone can't do without a paid subscription.
OsmAnd gives you turn by turn with no subscription ... used it for 140 mile tour on an Android phone (also have it on my Iphone) this summer and it was flawless.
Old 11-12-19, 10:34 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Are you saying that that Elemnt and Bolt require your phone to navigate because that is wrong. It synchs your routes from RWGPS, Kamoots, and gives you TBT directions. Go to your settings and you can see which maps have been downloaded to the unit.
Displaying a course with its programmed directions is just part of navigation. You also want resilience to incorrect automatically generated cues and the ability to navigate without a course when things change.

Automatically generated "left" and "right" turns can result from road squiggles in your mapping application. You won't notice it on the Wahoo if you don't have the map screen up which supports too few data fields to leave up and the Wahoo won't automatically change when a turn approaches like a Garmin that will highlight it in white.

You can't route to a point-of-interest like water (because it became 105 degrees in the sun) without your phone having internet access.

You'll need to have relevant map tiles downloaded to your phone or internet access to manually navigate because you can't pan to see where roads go when zoomed out, and to see what the names of those streets are where you'll turn.

You won't get navigation back to a course when forced to detour that keeps you off dead-end streets because the software doesn't know about roads, just your bread crumb trail.

You need a new Wahoo Roam or 10 year old Garmin to get that basic functionality. The Bolt and ELEMNT are the wrong tools for riding where you're not familiar with the roads and cellular coverage.

RWGPS wrong turns. The "slight right" isn't what gets displayed. Street signs with road names aren't always visible, especially after dark.

Garmin turn pop-up 500' before, showing just how far (or not) you'll be turning

switching from a more informative navigation screen

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-13-19 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 06:00 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I have a Lezyne Mega XL that I’ve been using since spring. Looking at the above posts, I think I made a good choice. The Mega XL only cost $200, does turn-by-turn and has a battery life that is up to 48 hours (I’ve only gotten it up to about 30 hours). I used it on a 3 day bikepacking trip in August and never had to recharge it. Considering that I was camping without access to power, that was a plus. I could probably get 5 days or so out of it.
Can you do turn by turn with out a phone connected. Looks like you can download maps to the device.
Old 11-12-19, 06:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Can you do turn by turn with out a phone connected. Looks like you can download maps to the device.
Yes. You can download maps from a phone but you don’t need the phone to be connected to follow the maps.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-12-19, 06:16 PM
Chris!

Yes. You can download maps from a phone but you don’t need the phone to be connected to follow the maps.
I'm sold. Backcountry_.com them on sale for for 159. Gonna order one tonight. It tells you your altitude but does it display % grade? Not a deal breaker just curious.
Old 11-12-19, 06:55 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I'm sold. Backcountry_.com them on sale for for 159. Gonna order one tonight. It tells you your altitude but does it display % grade? Not a deal breaker just curious.
Just checked. Not seeing that.
Old 11-12-19, 07:17 PM
Chris!

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Just checked. Not seeing that.
Just ordered it. Im sure I'll be happy. I'm not even sure if I need a GPS......
Old 11-12-19, 07:29 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
one limitation to lezyne, unless they’ve updated recently, is the ability to send a route directly from Ridewithgps to the device over Bluetooth. That’s my favorite new feature with the Garmin.
Old 11-12-19, 08:18 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
. . . .Everything is done using the companion app on your phone. Loading rides is as easy as pinning the ride on RWGPS, then sync'ing the device.

Unless you have an older android phone then the app doesn't work. I have the wahoo, the screen went mostly black in about 6 months fortunately they have a decent customer service and I got it replaced once I sent a pic of the screen.

Phones work if you live somewhere the sun hardly shines otherwise it is hard to read the screen and use a auxiliary battery if you ride more than a couple of hours.
Old 11-13-19, 02:13 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Garmin 810. The screen could be brighter for day light use. It was a little buggy a few years ago, but after a few firmware updates, all good now. Battery life is OK for most rides, but has gone down a little after several years, still adequate for most days.

It shows big temp numbers on hot days. I was told that's because it's out in the sun, but then, so am I!
Old 11-15-19, 01:17 PM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
As a satisfied Mega XL user I think you made a good choice and yes, it does have the ability to display %grade.
Old 11-15-19, 01:35 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am just using my LG and RWGPS. So far, I like it, except for the fact that a couple of times, when I review my ride, the "route" I have ridden seems to magically have diverted to someplace miles away from me and then returned. It looks ridiculous and the lines are perfectly straight. RWGPS suggested I look at whether battery saver was on (it wasn't) and also if there was a barometer function--there is not. Has anyone using a phone experienced this? If so, what did you do? Many thanks.
Old 11-15-19, 06:06 PM
1kosmos1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lezyne mega xl
Old 11-15-19, 08:46 PM
Chris!

My mega XL came today and I did find the % grade. I set up my three! Screens of data, I've got speed and time and temp a.d a few more. A huge step of from my cat eye. I have made a few routes and loaded it up. I'm super happy with the functions and the negative reviews I've read about the buttons seems to be a non issues. As long as it tracks I'll be happy.
Old 11-15-19, 08:51 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I don't want a readout on my bike. I sit up, and enjoy the world.

But that's not to say that certain info isn't interesting. I do occasionally use Strava on my phone, as well as Google maps, and it'd be interesting to know what others use for touring/sightseeing/commuting as I plan my errands/tasks etc and reflect on them as it suits.
Old 11-17-19, 07:49 AM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
I use my old iPhone 5s with no SIM card, and a variety of map apps, mounted to the bike with a Nite-Ize handlebar mount. Favorite map app is MTB-project. Fits the “cheap and cheerful” category for me.
Old 11-17-19, 04:42 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by reconnaissance
I use my old iPhone 5s with no SIM card, and a variety of map apps, mounted to the bike with a Nite-Ize handlebar mount. Favorite map app is MTB-project. Fits the “cheap and cheerful” category for me.
Without a SIM card, how do you install the apps? Also, how is the battery life when using the phone this way?

I recently succumbed and bought an Edge Explore, but I've always liked "cheap and cheerful".
Old 11-17-19, 06:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Without a SIM card, how do you install the apps? Also, how is the battery life when using the phone this way?

I recently succumbed and bought an Edge Explore, but I've always liked "cheap and cheerful".
You can install apps (at least on an Apple) using WiFi. In fact stuff from the Apple store almost never likes using cell data only to download. I repurposed an iPhone 6 as a music player, pulled the SIM card and use WiFi.
Old 11-17-19, 07:05 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts

wifi. Yep. Battery will last about a day, same as if it was being used with a SIM card

Last edited by reconnaissance; 11-17-19 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-17-19, 08:42 PM
Chris!

Got a ride in today with my Mega XL. Loved it, created a route I ride regularly and like the turn by turn. I did forget to turn tracking on so all data was lost. Next time.
Old 11-18-19, 06:14 AM
jfan

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Any Wahoo user will tell you they're easier to use than Garmins.
Even quite a few that have never used a Garmin. I've had a Garmin 520 for 3 years and haven't had trouble. I like the color map screen and the Live Track feature. You're also not dependent on your phone to upload/delete maps or routes.
Old 11-19-19, 03:32 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
You can install apps (at least on an Apple) using WiFi. In fact stuff from the Apple store almost never likes using cell data only to download. I repurposed an iPhone 6 as a music player, pulled the SIM card and use WiFi.
Hah, an iPhone 6 is my "good" phone, inherited (like all its predecessors) from my daughter. Wait a minute, something is backwards here........

I have a SIM-less old 5 S I've downloaded offline maps and RWGPS onto. I'm going to fool around with that and see how it compares to the Edge Explore, which I've been getting accustomed to. It's so easy, a cave man could do it! (remember those ads?)

Reconnaissance, thanks to you too for the tip.
Old 11-19-19, 03:39 PM
Steve B.

Hah, an iPhone 6 is my "good" phone, inherited (like all its predecessors) from my daughter. Wait a minute, something is backwards here........

I have a SIM-less old 5 S I've downloaded offline maps and RWGPS onto. I'm going to fool around with that and see how it compares to the Edge Explore, which I've been getting accustomed to. It's so easy, a cave man could do it! (remember those ads?)

Reconnaissance, thanks to you too for the tip.
We will all be curious as to how you like one method vs. the other, books have been written here as to which is superior. One thing to note is when you do a club ride, or any remote ride, where you do not have WiFi, when you complete the ride, you will need to wait till you have WiFi for the iPhone in order for your completed ride to be uploaded to whatever web based activity tracker you use, I assume RWGPS. As opposed to a Garmin/Wahoo which saves the ride immediately via the smartphone app and the cell data connection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.