Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Windsor bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Windsor bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 12:03 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Windsor bike?

I picked up a Cerrara Sport frame, red with chrome socks front and back, and chrome lugs in front. I'm confident it's a 70's Windsor however I don't know where to look for it's serial, and I'm wondering what frame it would correspond to from whatever other companies would normally brand this frame, any clues? Pics to come later.
Old 08-22-11, 01:03 PM
c_bake

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pull the stem, look for a date down towards the bottom. I have a Carabela, sister to the Windsor but I have no idea what model but based on components its close to a Cerrara Sport.
Old 08-22-11, 01:16 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Originally Posted by c_bake
Pull the stem, look for a date down towards the bottom. I have a Carabela, sister to the Windsor but I have no idea what model but based on components its close to a Cerrara Sport.
I know these aren't any wear near high end bikes, but how does yours ride? I won't be getting a chance to test mine until I find it a spindle/lock ring/cups etc. I got a set of MAFAC's for it, but I'm not sure the frameset is worthy might just put top pull dia compes in instead.
Edit: Oblivious +1 Me -1, there's a serial painted in white on the seat tube... pics still to come.
Old 08-22-11, 01:52 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Pics:
The Frame (Yes I know the fork is facing backwards)
The chrome lugs
Chrome crown
Front Socks

Somehow the rear socks picture didn't make it, will upload later.
and yes I am also a computer nerd, not just a bike nerd.
Old 08-22-11, 01:56 PM
c_bake

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My frame is Tange Champion #2, Shimano 600 hubs, brakes and levers and Suntour shifters with SR crankset. It has a 57cm TT and weighs 23 pounds. It rides great, if yours is made of Champion #2 as well, then its well worth putting nice components on it. I have read that some were made of low grade steel though and are very heavy. Unfortunately there is little to no info on the web about our bikes. When you get a chance post some pics I'd like to see it.
Old 08-22-11, 02:01 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Pics are up and I suspect mine is made of the much heavier steel then yours but that's fine (then again I just picked it up and it seems to weigh less then my standard 10 speed frames, will weight it tonight), this frame wasn't intended for my lightweight project I really just was drawn in by all the chrome in good shape to tell you the truth.
Old 08-22-11, 02:15 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kewl,
Looks just like my Carabela.Apparently they were branded with both.

I want to do a gold with clear background on the decals.

Old 08-22-11, 04:11 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

That decal scheme would probably look really nice on that white! I love these style of lugs dunno if their actually good or bad, but love the way they look. Anyone have any idea how many brands this same frame was actually under?
Old 12-09-11, 06:06 AM
keidal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Hello, as far as I'm aware Remo Vecchi [ex Cinelli] joined a Mexican company - from memory it might be Ace-Max, in the 1970's and they manufactured Windsor frames with various specifications and also almost identical Carabela frames. Unsurprisingly, with a strong similarity to Cinelli frames. I understand that at that time they were quality frames generally. Some individuals have apparently replaced the original decals with Cinelli ones.
Old 12-09-11, 09:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The OP's model is definitely 1970s, and more towards mid-1970s based on the seat tube decal. I don't recall Windsor being in wide distribition prior to circa 1973 and those decals had disappeared by 1978, possibly slightly earlier.
Old 12-09-11, 07:48 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
..I'm confident it's a 70's Windsor however I don't know where to look for it's serial..
Looks like '70s to me. I don't remember where the serial was on the Carerra Sport (had a Carerra Sport mixte, a long time ago), but the Pros had the serial # stamped into the side of the seat lug.
Old 12-10-11, 02:20 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

I never got back to this thread because I dug up all the info I needed, I was having a brain dead moment in one of the pics above you can see the serial in white written on the seat tube.
Old 05-20-13, 08:53 PM
bobstad

Bikes: Schwinn Racer 3/spd; '73 Windsor Carerra Sport; Raleigh Colt; Raleigh ten-speed; Ballis; Windsor Carerra Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windsoria here well spoken...

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
I never got back to this thread because I dug up all the info I needed, I was having a brain dead moment in one of the pics above you can see the serial in white written on the seat tube.
Have you done anything with the frame? I'd like one like that a 25" frame; if your frame is that size and available? And/or anyone else too.

In order to assemble a bike for a friend similar to the one I have, a 23" Windsor Carerra Sport I've adapted with upright handle bars and stem shifters. Really a nice combination for around town riding and/or the countryside; with the short wheel base & relatively quick handling.

Finding both seat post & gooseneck can be a chore...though a nice reward when all put together.