Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 10-02-19, 05:32 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by riva
Look at it this way.. multiple 80's centurions... still cheaper than one brand new wizz bang keeping up with the joneses bike.

I can talk myself into anything. That thing does look sweet tho!

I need to stay away from OC..
Yeah that's what keeps getting to me: these bikes are sitting out there.... and even when "market priced" at $200-$400, they are hundreds (perhaps thousands) less than a similar steel frame would cost new....

...thus I end up with more bikes than I can ride, even when I ride a different bike every day of the week. And the total spent is less than my one titanium bike cost new. What a luxury!

N
Likes For no67el:
Old 10-02-19, 06:21 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Red touch up paint for the 86' Classic IM , perfect match .

Old 10-02-19, 07:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
Yeah that's what keeps getting to me: these bikes are sitting out there.... and even when "market priced" at $200-$400, they are hundreds (perhaps thousands) less than a similar steel frame would cost new....

...thus I end up with more bikes than I can ride, even when I ride a different bike every day of the week. And the total spent is less than my one titanium bike cost new. What a luxury!

N
Sweet madness.
Old 10-03-19, 08:03 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
I guess as long as the public and the T.V. and cameras were seeing what the sponsors wanted them to, it was okay. Perception and image are key. It would be up to a really discerning viewer to spot the deception. I wonder if anyone got called out.....I doubt it. It makes you wonder about all the claims that so and so famous racer won so and so famous race on so and so bicycle would even be worth believing historically. And then there is the fact that these racers were mobile billboards....albeit fast ones.
Im recalling Lance on the Litespeed Blade TT bike painted in Trek colors
Likes For DMC707:
Old 10-03-19, 11:17 AM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
If the red stripes on that sign were salmon, I would buy it.
Old 10-03-19, 11:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
I guess as long as the public and the T.V. and cameras were seeing what the sponsors wanted them to, it was okay. Perception and image are key. It would be up to a really discerning viewer to spot the deception. I wonder if anyone got called out.....I doubt it. It makes you wonder about all the claims that so and so famous racer won so and so famous race on so and so bicycle would even be worth believing historically. And then there is the fact that these racers were mobile billboards....albeit fast ones.
The neatest part is some of those Zunow bikes are out in the public. One was found/outed up thread some time ago. It's like hunting for buried treasure.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-04-19, 10:25 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Here are a few pics of the Miami Vice Expert I picked up this week. Got a pretty good deal, and now I need to decide how I'll proceed with the project. First up will be a thorough cleaning followed by paint touch-up. then, I'll need to ride it a bit and decide if I keep it and sell my Miyata Pro or sell the Ironman. It's nice having first world problems like this! If any of you have suggestions or opinions regarding working on the bike, please feel free to offer your ideas.

Old 10-04-19, 10:38 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
1986. No red/white in 1985. Model year. Those graphics began for 1986.
I went back and looked at my red/white loaner IM. The serial # is N5S6320. Must have been produced late in the year.

Last edited by seypat; 10-04-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 11:02 AM
markwesti

Originally Posted by seypat
I went back and looked at my red/white loaner IM. The serial # is N5S6320. Must have been produced late in the year.
Here is a 85' seypat , too bad it was the wrong size for @texaspandj
https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d...948775810.html

Old 10-04-19, 11:07 AM
markwesti

Originally Posted by ddeand
Here are a few pics of the Miami Vice Expert I picked up this week. Got a pretty good deal, and now I need to decide how I'll proceed with the project. First up will be a thorough cleaning followed by paint touch-up. then, I'll need to ride it a bit and decide if I keep it and sell my Miyata Pro or sell the Ironman. It's nice having first world problems like this! If any of you have suggestions or opinions regarding working on the bike, please feel free to offer your ideas.

+ 1 on the black , black , black . Also If it were me I would get rid of the dork disc and the reflector , but that's just me .
Old 10-04-19, 11:16 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by markwesti
Here is a 85' seypat , too bad it was the wrong size for @texaspandj
https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d...948775810.html

I have it's distant cousin in the same paint scheme.

Likes For seypat:
Old 10-04-19, 11:53 AM
ddeand 

The bike takes black parts like a beast. Adds 80's panache with all &^%$# business, dude.

So now you have my suggestion.
Rock on.
Keep in mind that this is how I got the bike (although I immediately removed the reflector from the seat post bolt and inflated the tires). If this bike becomes one of my two “riders”, I will likely swap the Dura-Ace 8-speed group on my Miyata Pro to the Ironman. I agree with the black parts, too, but we’ll see how things shake out. It appears that the non-original parts are the rear wheel, the seat, the cables, bar tape, and the pedals. I’d love to tear into this project immediately, but I need to get my 1974 Raleigh International project painted and sanded before it gets too cold here to do that stuff.
Old 10-04-19, 02:26 PM
markwesti

Define "if".
Old 10-05-19, 08:48 AM
ddeand 

I have a '75 that needs the same thing...

One suggestion when choosing to put the good stuff on a Miyata Pro OR an Ironman, and it's the most credible I know, regardless of my Ironman bias.

Strip both to nothing but the frame, fork, headset. Hold them both, then put wheels (only) on them, and check the profile, re: aggressive stance. Then decide.

Otherwise, all that switching around may prevent you from building the Ironman.
That sounds like a solid plan going forward. What I generally do when comparing bikes is set both up similarly in terms of seat, stem, bar and seat height, and wheels. Then I ride both bikes for a few days to see how they feel. I’m much more tactile than specs oriented, so I usually trust my feel on the bike. So far, the 1980 Miyata Pro has been the most comfy of my steel bikes. But the Ironman may be a tad lighter, overall. I’m looking forward to getting a few longer rides in on the Ironman, although I’m not totally comfortable with the down tube shifting (at my age, I like to keep my hands on the bars). BTW, my informal family polling indicates a strong preference for the Centurion. They mostly look at the bike, then at me, and roll their eyes.
Old 10-05-19, 12:30 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Centurion Prestige '89

Someone was asking for a picture of the Prestige a few posts back...... and in keeping with the "Black Parts" idea...... :

The bike came to me with the black Cannondale-badged seat post.... and I noticed black lettering on the frame, so..... ..... and the bike is a bit on the small side, so I'm trying the black Nitto Dynamic 0-degree stem... Jury is still out for me about the look, but the slight rise of the stem has certainly made the fit just about perfect....

The one good place in my yard to take pics of bikes....

Is this marble or smoke?

Black HG cassette on a FH-M525a freehub body....

The bike arrived with a leg-killing 12-22 cassette on it.... and it came from a female triathlete who must have been SO strong (or just liked to pedal at 50 rpm?) The freehub body was UG only, so I've fiddled with putting on a new freehub body.... Shimano FH-M525a fit great, and a new (black) 7-speed HG cassette went on. I had to put a few spacers behind the large cog to fill up the space, and the chainline moved outward a bit requiring front derailleur repositioning.... but it plays very well now with the indexed 600 shifters! Only issues are that the original UG hub axle is a little short-- I removed the spacers from in between the cones and the locknuts, and now I think there's enough axle for the dropouts to rest on... the other issue is that the drive-side freehub dust seal from the UG hub would not work on the HG freehub body, as it interfered with the last cog/lockring threading on. So I need to find a rubber seal for that space, or else my bearings will not last long! Anyone know which part I need? Trying to sort out Shimano parts diagrams and ordering is confusing me....

Lovely fall day here today.... time to go ride a bike....
Likes For no67el:
Old 10-06-19, 06:55 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
Someone was asking for a picture of the Prestige a few posts back...... and in keeping with the "Black Parts" idea...... :

The bike came to me with the black Cannondale-badged seat post.... and I noticed black lettering on the frame, so..... ..... and the bike is a bit on the small side, so I'm trying the black Nitto Dynamic 0-degree stem... Jury is still out for me about the look, but the slight rise of the stem has certainly made the fit just about perfect....

The one good place in my yard to take pics of bikes....

Is this marble or smoke?

Black HG cassette on a FH-M525a freehub body....

The bike arrived with a leg-killing 12-22 cassette on it.... and it came from a female triathlete who must have been SO strong (or just liked to pedal at 50 rpm?) The freehub body was UG only, so I've fiddled with putting on a new freehub body.... Shimano FH-M525a fit great, and a new (black) 7-speed HG cassette went on. I had to put a few spacers behind the large cog to fill up the space, and the chainline moved outward a bit requiring front derailleur repositioning.... but it plays very well now with the indexed 600 shifters! Only issues are that the original UG hub axle is a little short-- I removed the spacers from in between the cones and the locknuts, and now I think there's enough axle for the dropouts to rest on... the other issue is that the drive-side freehub dust seal from the UG hub would not work on the HG freehub body, as it interfered with the last cog/lockring threading on. So I need to find a rubber seal for that space, or else my bearings will not last long! Anyone know which part I need? Trying to sort out Shimano parts diagrams and ordering is confusing me....

Lovely fall day here today.... time to go ride a bike....
Nice bike.
That is Marble not smoke.
My '89 Ironman came with a HG cassette. I'm curious if all '89 Ironman came with HG cassette,.. anybody?
Did your Prestige actually use prestige tubing?
Old 10-06-19, 07:08 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
That's why they call it the Prestige. It had it in '85 and also in '89.
Old 10-13-19, 11:58 AM
markwesti

So I'm like Bali hold my bike while I drink this beer .

IMG_0414 by mark westi, on Flickr
Likes For markwesti:
Old 10-14-19, 08:29 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Ru...M#action=share :40

Old 10-14-19, 08:47 AM
seypat

That's why they call it the Prestige. It had it in '85 and also in '89.
Don't forget the '86 model with the awesome Lavender/Silver paint combo. One of these days, maybe we will find a picture of one instead of just the catalog photo. Props to the member who does the Vintage Centurion website. He has the Zunow IM on the home page with info on it.

Centurion Prestige
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-14-19, 10:40 AM
markwesti

Thats @fleslider @seypat , I wonder how that Zunow is fairing ?
Old 10-14-19, 12:41 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Picked up a red/white '86 (?) Saturday. No wheelset, seller kept the Turbo saddle (part of the price agreement), but otherwise mostly original. $75. Sorry, no "as bought" pics, and no time to park it in front of a less busy background.

Came with a Profile clip-on tri bar, and a set of Look pedals from BITD (torqued down crazy tight!); I just swapped in some test ride pedals. For some reason, the brake cables were reversed ; maybe that was done when the PO installed the clip-on.

My first bike made with:

Serial number begins N5M, but by all appearances it's an '86 bike, by the livery and build. Wasn't "rode hard", but was definitely "put away wet". That rust above the Tange sticker is no doubt from a frame pump. Other bits of bubbling like that here and there, around the front derailleur band, etc. Frame was absolutely dull from garage dust; the white panels looked like a bad gray smoke job. Cool "fade" handlebar tape was hacked up to accomodate the tri bar. Shift cables were so rusty it wouldn't shift. Much-maligned Sugino "measure this" seat post was NOT stuck, thank the stars. Frame is a 56cm, fit-wise, it's close on stand-over, but it's just right wrt saddle height. I may swap the Technomic stem for something with shorter reach. Otherwise, it's already a blast to ride.

Last edited by madpogue; 10-14-19 at 01:24 PM.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-14-19, 04:56 PM
markwesti

@madpogue , congrats on the 86' . If it's a bit tall for you , I second the thought on the shorter stem . I ride a 56cm but I wound up with a 58cm bike (Bianchi) , put a 60mm stem on it and now the fit is good .
Old 10-15-19, 06:28 AM
seypat

@RobbieTunes, what was/is the title of that thread you started on sizing between 54/56 frames? I think I'll revive it instead of starting a new one.
Old 10-15-19, 06:34 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by madpogue
Picked up a red/white '86 (?) Saturday. No wheelset, seller kept the Turbo saddle (part of the price agreement), but otherwise mostly original. $75. Sorry, no "as bought" pics, and no time to park it in front of a less busy background.

Came with a Profile clip-on tri bar, and a set of Look pedals from BITD (torqued down crazy tight!); I just swapped in some test ride pedals. For some reason, the brake cables were reversed ; maybe that was done when the PO installed the clip-on.

My first bike made with:

Serial number begins N5M, but by all appearances it's an '86 bike, by the livery and build. Wasn't "rode hard", but was definitely "put away wet". That rust above the Tange sticker is no doubt from a frame pump. Other bits of bubbling like that here and there, around the front derailleur band, etc. Frame was absolutely dull from garage dust; the white panels looked like a bad gray smoke job. Cool "fade" handlebar tape was hacked up to accomodate the tri bar. Shift cables were so rusty it wouldn't shift. Much-maligned Sugino "measure this" seat post was NOT stuck, thank the stars. Frame is a 56cm, fit-wise, it's close on stand-over, but it's just right wrt saddle height. I may swap the Technomic stem for something with shorter reach. Otherwise, it's already a blast to ride.
Good score. For future reference, I think I like the darker wheel better than the back one on it. It would look wicked with a set of the dark ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.