Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I hate flat tires...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I hate flat tires...

Old 11-27-19, 07:43 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Good tip. I was fresh out of amphetamines.
Ibuprophen.
Old 11-27-19, 07:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - since it's getting colder I keep my CO2 cartridges in the house (not my car) to keep them room temp & when I ride, I keep them in my jacket chest pocket to keep them from freezing cuz I've read, they don't work as well, when frozen. I know it's not that cold yet, but it won't be long

got a question for the group of flat fixers. I also carry a small pump. I've accumulated a few over the years. recently went thru them & picked one that fit well on my schrader valves, confirmed it's working to pump them & is one of the smallest I have. but I found it interesting that the pump feels like it has some sort of spring tension when I draw it back & almost makes it easier to then push it in, to pump the air. is that a thing?
Old 11-27-19, 10:09 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Got my first flat in over 5000 miles last week. I picked something up in the last 5 miles of a 50-miler and was able to make it home before the tire went completely flat. I always ride with a Zefal and at least 1 spare tube, but was relieved to not have to fix a flat in the 30 degree temps.

Turned out to be a tiny 1mm shard of glass that poked through. However, right next to the glass were 2 places where the tread was worn to the casing. Not sure if the two things are related, but the tire is toast. Only had about 600 miles on it and it's a Michelin Pro4, which I can usually get at least 1500 miles.

You can see the small cut from the glass to the left of the wear patches. Still puzzled - don't remember any lockups or mad skidz.

Old 11-27-19, 10:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Only had about 600 miles on it and it's a Michelin Pro4
on the same tires, I had a broken spoke at the top of a hill, after a short distance the titre started rubbing the frame, by time I got to the bottom ogf the hill (1/4 - 1/2 mile?) the rear wheel was rubbing so much I had to stop. didn't notice this right away, but I did the next time I rode it, I did. & I replaced them

Old 11-27-19, 11:01 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
OK, so I rode 1000 miles in June to fundraise for cancer. 4 different bikes, 4 flats, one on each bike.
Flat #4 was a tubular, a Tufo Carbon Composite on a Zipp rim. Bad valve.
I replace the tire with a new one, no sealant, and on we go.
Across Indiana. Across Wisconsin.
2 Centuries in SW Illinois, 1 in St. Louis.
No problem.

I'm riding on bike trails in Madison County, IL, a little bit of snow, some very minor ice, 35-40 degrees.
Same tire goes slowly flat. Too cold to mess with, we add CO2 and off we go.
10 more miles, flat again. Too cold to mess with, we add CO2 (my last) and off we go.
6 more miles, flat again. 2 miles to go. I get back on the saddle, lighten the front, and go baby go.
Ending: flat as a pancacke.
Sits inside for a week, flat as a pancake.
I pull it off the rim, air it up, nothing. Holds air.
I fill the big sink with water, no leaks, everything is fine.
I add 2 oz of Stan's, air it up, seems to be holding.
Any ideas what the Sam Heck is going on here?
I mean, it was really inconvenient.
Not to mention, my bike is now 2 oz heavier.
no pump so it was taunting you to use all of the co2

Old 11-27-19, 12:10 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I'd swear the raccoons here hate me.. when I leave bikes out overnight the tires turn into scratching posts. Or teething posts. And they rip apart the gutters playing jungle gym.
Old 11-27-19, 03:09 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
no pump so it was taunting you to use all of the co2
Pump makes my butt look big.
Old 07-19-20, 01:07 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Wow, I guess I haven't had a flat tire in over a half year! That's pretty good!

But last Monday, just as I was leaving office on my folding bike, I discovered that the rear tire was flat. I pumped it up and rode to the station (¾ mile) thinking "I'll patch it on the train," and of course forgot to patch it. Pumped up four times riding home, where I finally got around to patching the tube. There was an opened tube of glue in my patch kit, completely dry... but also an unopened tube. Whew!
Old 07-19-20, 02:14 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,093 Posts
Went for a 25 miler today. Great ride. As I was taking the bike off the roof, I noticed a loose spoke. Hung the bike up and came back later to remove the wheel and found a flat! Close one. Found the hole both in the tire and the tube. No item to remove. Added a third patch, will likely be the last before replacement. Ordered 100 Rema patches because I'm down to 3.
Trued the rim, put the tire and tube back on and pumped it up. 30 min later still up to pressure.
Old 07-20-20, 03:07 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Wow, I guess I haven't had a flat tire in over a half year! That's pretty good!
Lucky you. I haven't ridden a bike outdoors for months.

Sooner or later I'll probably get a flat on the rear tire of the Bianchi on the trainer. I'm sure Zwift will put some nails out on the virtual road.

On the plus side, I've been riding around Richmond, VA, my home town. The Fan Flats and UCI Worlds routes pass a block or so from where I attended high school. The 33% grade around a corner onto cobblestones going up Chimborazo Hill is a killer though. Those hills are guaranteed to give me a flat sooner or later.
Old 11-23-20, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Friday I had the most inconvenient puncture in a very long time, but I should say it also wasn't awful. I made a mile of progress after leaving home, and my front tire went flat. My front wheel has a dynamo hub, and I remembered to remove the electrical connector before yanking the wheel out, so that was good. I put my spare tube in, and my pump just did not work. I tried for a long time, but it just didn't work. So I walked home and gave up on riding for the day.

It turned out that my spare was punctured. I'm pretty fastidious with my tubes. Normally I toss punctured tubes in a bin and then patch them when I accumulate a bunch. When a tube works properly, I mark it as ready by putting a rubber band around it. Did I perhaps patch one hole on a tube that had two holes? I'll never know. And it turns out that the hole was right next to the valve stem. It's a risky area to patch, but I put it in my tire, and it's been holding since Saturday, so I think it's good.

The one that went flat developed a gap between the valve stem and the tube, so it went into the trash.

Here is the patched spare tube.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-01-21, 01:48 PM
davedela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gatorskin Tires

Goathead thorns everywhere! I swapped out my rear for a gatorskin folding 25c tire and the flats dramatically decreased. Maybe 1-2 per year vs 1-2 per month.
Old 02-02-21, 07:53 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,228 Posts
I was super excited to take the first ride on my freshly 650b'd track bike last night.

I got a mile and a half from home when the rear flatted. Since I was so close to home and didn't have much light left anyways asked my wife to come pick me up. Thankfully she took pity on me

I've got no idea what caused it, I pulled the tube and a quick inspection didn't find anything obvious

Bummer.
Old 02-06-21, 06:48 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 71 Posts
My last flat happend on my way home from work, I thought I have a pump and a patch kit with with two tubes of cement (one unopened) no problem. So find a grassy spot and set the bike upside down. The one thing about non aero levers that I dont like is this, I took off my shoes and set them underneath the bar. I patched the pucture and got back on the bike and all was well, for a few miles or so. Repeating the whole process I find the valve stem is seporating from the tube, I think no problem I have a spare tube, my spare tube had been in the tool bag a while and was split down the sides where it was folded.

This is when I discovered that I had left me phone at work, I didn't have a lock so I picked up my rid and carried it the final mile or back home, it could have been worse.

Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 02-07-21 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-05-21, 02:33 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Flatted today, first time in a while. Swapping tubes went smooth as you could ask for under a perfect blue sky, and it was even the front tire. I'll just tip my cap to the puncture gods and be on my way.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-15-21, 01:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I hate flat batteries

Today I volunteered to ride my bike to the car repair garage to pick up my spouse's car rather than driving her. It's just 2.5 miles and I might not get another chance to ride today, so why not? Well, it was only 21ºF and very windy, but I know how to bundle up, so I did.

About a mile in, I got a flat on the front. Oh boy, changing a flat in this weather could be unpleasant. Well, it wasn't that bad. A guy passed by in his truck and stopped. "You look like a professional, but do you need anything?"

"I've done this a thousand times, so I'm fine, but thank you!"

Fixed the flat and continued. A quarter mile later, the front tube gave out. I've got no more spares. I am not going to patch a tube in this weather.

I started walking. I got my phone out because I figure this time my spouse won't mind picking me up in the other car. My battery read 59% full. Then instantly, the phone shut down. I've been meaning to replace this phone, as it is a battery eater. So I can't call, and if she's worried about me, she can't call me, either.

I left the bike on the roadside and walked to the garage. It's a rural area, so it was safe. I was well bundled, and I did not get cold. It sounds like a bad day, but it was an adventure, and I was able to chuckle about the whole thing. I even got in some walking which I don't do enough of during Pandemic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-07-21, 06:05 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

I have spent more time on BF than on rides. Ugh!
Yesterday it was warm enough and I felt motivated enough to go out for a ride. It is always a good choice and there is never a bad ride.
It was only 13 miles but better than nothing and a motivation ride to get going again. So I am in the garage with the bike hanging, ready to go up to the ceiling for storage, looking at my stats on the Roam when all of a sudden pop ssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Rear tire.
My first thought was I must have run over something and checked the tire, nothing. Second thought was the tube failing at or near the valve stem, bingo! Right at the interface between the tube at a parting line and the valve stem reinforcing base. Just blew out with a ruptured hole. Made in China Continental tube.

I should ride with a back pack full of tubes just for this quality control failure. Tubulars are more reliable!
Old 04-07-21, 07:30 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by SJX426
So I am in the garage with the bike hanging, ready to go up to the ceiling for storage, looking at my stats on the Roam when all of a sudden pop ssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Rear tire.
My first thought was I must have run over something and checked the tire, nothing. Second thought was the tube failing at or near the valve stem, bingo! Right at the interface between the tube at a parting line and the valve stem reinforcing base. Just blew out with a ruptured hole. Made in China Continental tube.

I should ride with a back pack full of tubes just for this quality control failure. Tubulars are more reliable!
Yep. I had that happen with a slew of clincher tubes. Never on a tubular though.

I haven't had a flat in over a year. Of course I went for a year without riding...
Old 05-07-21, 11:49 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Exactly sixty days later it looks like, and I got a cool knife's-blade looking piece of plastic all stabby-stabby in the rear tire. Broke a lever during the change, too. Otherwise all good and tra la la. Booted the ~2mm slice with a dollar bill though. Overkill?

I've had my two now, hopefully I'm good for a while.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-07-21, 01:05 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Booted the ~2mm slice with a dollar bill though. Overkill?
Maybe. A half-dollar bill would have cost only half as much, but you can recover that cost if the bill isn't too mangled.
Old 05-07-21, 02:34 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Maybe. A half-dollar bill would have cost only half as much, but you can recover that cost if the bill isn't too mangled.

Old 05-07-21, 02:59 PM
SJX426 

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Well..... if a half is good then a quarter might be even better!
Old 05-07-21, 04:24 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I don't mind a regular flat, but this one was pretty severe. Somehow the park tools boot held for a long slow 8 mile ride home. Tire was a 28mm turbo cotton, quite $$$. Hopefully it was freakish and I can go back to regular flats.

1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 05-10-21, 09:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

As I reported, earlier this year, I had a rash of flats of the same nature with the same wheel. In each case, the valve stem separated from the tube. I filed the valve hole in the rim to make sure there were no burrs there, and I changed the rim strip in case that was the cause. I switched from a plastic rim strip to a good old fashioned Velox rim strip. Since doing these things, I've had no more such problems.

Old 05-10-21, 09:18 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts
Had my first flat of the year yesterday on a group ride. Very slow, rear tire. Didn't see anything sticking through the tire tread though there were a couple of disturbing small cuts. Installed spare tube and headed our way to a food stop, where, unfortunately, I realized my rear tire was getting soft again. Given that I only brought one spare tube and no patch kit, I was getting worried. Once I took a look, I realized that my annoying Lezyne mini pump had yet again unscrewed the valve core just a bit or enough for the tube to lose air. My efforts at tightening/repumping failed, so I borrowed a riding buddy's pump and all was good. That's the last time I rely on that Lezyne!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.