Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I wish I had known this earlier - TA Cyclotouriste

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 06:52 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts

I think this may be old news to cognoscenti, but it might help a person who's new to the TA Cyclotouriste world. I'm bot a longtime TA Cyclotouriste user and a newbie. I put a new Cyclotouriste on my bike in 1982 or 1983. Recently I started looking at switching from a double to a triple, and it's taken me a while to figure out what I see on 2nd hand equipment sites. Some things just don't look like what I need.

TA Cyclotouriste is often marketed as a 50.4 mm BCD crankset. In a sense, that's true - the BCD for attaching the outer chainring to the crank is 50.4 mm. That's true for other cranks, too, from Stronglight, Nervar, Sun XCD, Velo-Orange, and probably other manufacturers, too. (I'm not sure which company originated the standard - I came across it once, but I can't find it now.)

The trouble is that every thing on the 'bay with a 50.4 mm is marketed as 'Cyclotouriste.'

The 50.4 BCD outer rings are (apparently) interchangeable, but the inner chainrings aren't. TA inners may not fit on other manufacturers' outers. In fact, not all TA inner chainrings work with all TA outers. TA made (at least) 4 outer rings with 50.4 BCD for the crank attachment and with 3 different inner ring BCDs. If you want an inner ring for a Cyclotouriste outer ring. you need rings with an 80 mm BCD. (The other 2 TA models are Criterium, with a 152 mm BCD (smallest is 43 teeth), and Randonneur and Professional, with a 116 mm BCD (smallest is 36 teeth).)

Some ebay sellers don't seem to know what they have. For example, this listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-TA-...kAAOSwpoxdHy5l is for a Criterium outer. Note the outer bolt circle drilling. It's way out towards the edge of the ring - 152 mm, a Criterium ring. I wrote this guy over a week ago - no response and no change in his listing. Maybe he's on vacation or just not monitoring his listing.

This - https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TA-...MAAOSwG8Zcyc6- is for a Cyclotouriste. The outer bolt circle is very close to the inner bolt circle - 80 mm, a true Cyclotouriste. Some sellers actually list the BCD in their headline.

I hope this helps someone. I've been able to avoid buying the wrong stuff, but that's been due only to good luck.

And if anyone can tell me why it's called Cyclotouriste instead of Cyclotourist, I appreciate it. Or was it just TA's whim?
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-02-20, 06:56 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Yes, the inner ring bolt pattern differs model to model. Sellers are lazy and want to cash in on the rando cache without doing some basic measurement.

The 50.4 BCD was used before TA was established, I believe. Many old cottered cranks out there with the pattern.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 03-02-20, 07:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm a little surprised it wasn't 50.8mm -- that would make sense if it had originated in England (2").

And I'd think it would have been an even 50mm if it had originated in a metric country.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-02-20, 08:01 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I think this may be old news to cognoscenti, but it might help a person who's new to the TA Cyclotouriste world. I'm bot a longtime TA Cyclotouriste user and a newbie. I put a new Cyclotouriste on my bike in 1982 or 1983. Recently I started looking at switching from a double to a triple, and it's taken me a while to figure out what I see on 2nd hand equipment sites. Some things just don't look like what I need.

TA Cyclotouriste is often marketed as a 50.4 mm BCD crankset. In a sense, that's true - the BCD for attaching the outer chainring to the crank is 50.4 mm. That's true for other cranks, too, from Stronglight, Nervar, Sun XCD, Velo-Orange, and probably other manufacturers, too. (I'm not sure which company originated the standard - I came across it once, but I can't find it now.)

The trouble is that every thing on the 'bay with a 50.4 mm is marketed as 'Cyclotouriste.'

The 50.4 BCD outer rings are (apparently) interchangeable, but the inner chainrings aren't. TA inners may not fit on other manufacturers' outers. In fact, not all TA inner chainrings work with all TA outers. TA made (at least) 4 outer rings with 50.4 BCD for the crank attachment and with 3 different inner ring BCDs. If you want an inner ring for a Cyclotouriste outer ring. you need rings with an 80 mm BCD. (The other 2 TA models are Criterium, with a 152 mm BCD (smallest is 43 teeth), and Randonneur and Professional, with a 116 mm BCD (smallest is 36 teeth).)

Some ebay sellers don't seem to know what they have. For example, this listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-TA-...kAAOSwpoxdHy5l is for a Criterium outer. Note the outer bolt circle drilling. It's way out towards the edge of the ring - 152 mm, a Criterium ring. I wrote this guy over a week ago - no response and no change in his listing. Maybe he's on vacation or just not monitoring his listing.

This - https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TA-...MAAOSwG8Zcyc6- is for a Cyclotouriste. The outer bolt circle is very close to the inner bolt circle - 80 mm, a true Cyclotouriste. Some sellers actually list the BCD in their headline.

I hope this helps someone. I've been able to avoid buying the wrong stuff, but that's been due only to good luck.

And if anyone can tell me why it's called Cyclotouriste instead of Cyclotourist, I appreciate it. Or was it just TA's whim?
SPECIALITES T.A. is a French company. It does not seem surprising that they would use the French spelling "touriste" rather than the Anglo.
Amicalement, Eric Pierre
Old 03-02-20, 08:04 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
joels bland self-referential home page

old site- “not secure”
does have quite a bit of TA info and links to more. Can help you divine what you need and what you don’t

my suggestion is to stick with one brand of rings. TA teeth are offset to the back side of the ring- VO are not for example
not sure about the others - Stronglight I think is but that is not authoritive.

Last edited by repechage; 03-02-20 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 09:30 PM
philbob57

There are plenty of new Cyclotouriste chainrings available in even sizes. It looks like TA is still making them.

Blackbirdsf.org is a good site for TA info. Is that Joel Bland's new site?.

'Cyclotouriste' has a feminine form. I didn't realize French had nouns that were both masculine and feminine.
Old 03-02-20, 10:22 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I would reiterate that the new t.a. chainrings are excellent.
Old 03-03-20, 07:11 AM
boatsinbottles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I would reiterate that the new t.a. chainrings are excellent.
What are some sources for new TA cyclotouriste chainrings?

eBay
Spa Cycles

Others?
Old 03-03-20, 08:38 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts

'Cyclotouriste' has a feminine form. I didn't realize French had nouns that were both masculine and feminine.
Pretty sure that Cyclotouriste is the proper feminine noun. No 'e' is anglicized.
Old 03-03-20, 08:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
There are also adapters that bolt onto the 50.4mm mount and allow you to use "inner" rings in both positions. TA made them for both the "Criterium" (151mm BCD) and "Cyclotouriste" (116mm BCD) style rings. SunXCD makes 50.4mm adapters to accept more widely available 110mm BCD, 5-arm and 130mm BCD 5-arm rings.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-03-20, 08:48 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by boatsinbottles

eBay
Spa Cycles

Others?
the british stores have them. Do a google search for the rings and you will eventually find them. Merlin and wiggle i think both have them.
Old 03-03-20, 08:49 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by boatsinbottles

eBay
Spa Cycles

Others?
Peter White Cycles is a TA distributor: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ta-chainrings.php#pro5
If that link doesn't take you directly to the Cyclotouriste rings, here's the page (just scroll down and click on Pro 5 Vis for TA Pro 5 Vis aka TA Cyclotourist cranksets): https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ta-chainrings.php
To order, you'll have to call or email as they don't do the direct online store for various reasons.
Oddly enough, he has the spelling as Cyclotourist!
Old 03-03-20, 08:53 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Peter white has them for sure but i know i have bought them cheaper elswhere.
Old 03-03-20, 08:56 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

https://www.veloduo.co.uk/products/n...gs-inner-outer
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-03-20, 08:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Good post. I've been wondering about this as well. This eBay seller stocks a good selection of TA cyclotourist rings and has what looks to be the correct information:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-T-A-Pro...r=500881723148

One thing I didn't know is that some of the 80 bcd rings are middle/inner and some are inner only.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-03-20, 09:00 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by bikemig
Good post. I've been wondering about this as well. This eBay seller stocks a good selection of TA cyclotourist rings and has what looks to be the correct information:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-T-A-Pro...r=500881723148

One thing I didn't know is that some of the 80 bcd rings are middle/inner and some are inner only.
great resource!
Old 03-03-20, 10:12 AM
philbob57

'Cyclotouriste' is listed as both masculine and feminine in 2 French-English online dictionaries. Go figure. If only we brought back classical Latin, which follows rules so much more closely than French (or English) does....

TA itself appears to be a good source for rings: https://specialites-ta.com/128-pro-5-vis.

I've done one transaction with Velo Duo Cycles (https://www.veloduo.co.uk) and it went very well, as well as transactions with BF members. They're the ebay seller cited above. I would go.back to Velo Duo Cycles without hesitation.

At the time I needed a ring, Spa Cycles didn't have what I wanted, and I didn't think of looking for TA itself. My other ring purchases were with a BF member and an individual ebay seller, both of which went without a hitch.

Those adapters are so cool! The thing is: more modern cranks make changing rings more convenient than the 50.4 BCD cranks. If I weren't a long time TA user, I think I'd go with a Sakae Ringyo or Sugino crank.

A small correction to a post above - the 116 mm BCD is for the Randonneur line, not the cyclotouriste.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-03-20, 10:18 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
There are plenty of new Cyclotouriste chainrings available in even sizes. It looks like TA is still making them.

Blackbirdsf.org is a good site for TA info. Is that Joel Bland's new site?.

Appears to be. Yes, lots of info.
Old 03-03-20, 10:19 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

'Cyclotouriste' is listed as both masculine and feminine in 2 French-English online dictionaries. Go figure. If only we brought back classical Latin, which follows rules so much more closely than French (or English) does....

TA itself appears to be a good source for rings: https://specialites-ta.com/128-pro-5-vis.

I've done one transaction with Velo Duo Cycles (https://www.veloduo.co.uk) and it went very well, as well as transactions with BF members. They're the ebay seller cited above. I would go.back to Velo Duo Cycles without hesitation.

At the time I needed a ring, Spa Cycles didn't have what I wanted, and I didn't think of looking for TA itself. My other ring purchases were with a BF member and an individual ebay seller, both of which went without a hitch.

Those adapters are so cool! The thing is: more modern cranks make changing rings more convenient than the 50.4 BCD cranks. If I weren't a long time TA user, I think I'd go with a Sakae Ringyo or Sugino crank.

A small correction to a post above - the 116 mm BCD is for the Randonneur line, not the cyclotouriste.
ty man!
Old 03-03-20, 10:22 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Yep, as others have said TA and the likes made several different BCD versions.

My favourite is this tandem-specific outer ring with 50.4mm/80mm/152mm drilling. Could also be used with different drillings to reinforce the middle and outer chainring.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-03-20, 10:36 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts

What triple tooth count are you ISO? Folks here may have rings in their stashes that could help.
-J
Old 03-03-20, 10:48 AM
philbob57

I got a 28 tooth ring from Velo Duo Cycles,.triple bolts and more from deux jambes, an excellent person to buy from.
Jacco, Thanks for the info on the rings with dual drilling. I have 2, and I wondered why they were made.
Old 03-03-20, 11:29 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
I got a 28 tooth ring from Velo Duo Cycles,.triple bolts and more from deux jambes, an excellent person to buy from.
Jacco, Thanks for the info on the rings with dual drilling. I have 2, and I wondered why they were made.
If you ever happen to have a 52T version let me know. I might be interested.
I have a couple in 52T undrilled, 42T and 32T.
Old 03-03-20, 12:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts
One thing to be aware of when buying vintage TA rings is that there were also thicker versions made for 1/8" chains. They won't work with your average 7/8 speed 3/32" chain, as I found out to my initial horreur:

See the difference in thickness?

Should you find one, do not despair. The SRAM PC-1 chain fits and will handle a 5-speed block even though it is marketed as a single speed chain. Mrs non-fixie has successfully field-tested this with an Allvit derailleur. I would also expect the KMC X101 to work. I have one as a backup should the PC-1 fail, but have not yet had the need to actually mount it and verify that.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-03-20, 01:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
One thing to be aware of when buying vintage TA rings is that there were also thicker versions made for 1/8" chains.
The TA track rings I have are marked with a "3" (signifying 3mm or 1/8" thickness) under the tooth count:

But they're not drilled to mount a second ring like yours. Perhaps yours was for a track tandem?
Likes For JohnDThompson:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.