Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Frustrated.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-20, 02:20 AM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Frustrated.

Gah. Last few days been really nice and been doing a 4 km ride each day. Well couple days ago was a pretty demanding day at work and I was tired and sore by time I got home (diesel mechanic). But I decided it was too nice and I don’t want to loose momentum. So I Hopped on my bike and did my 4km loop. Well seems that was too much and swelling in my injured leg cracked some of the scar tissue causing Very light bleeding and the following day had me limping real bad and struggling to do my work.

This is very frustrating to no end. My accident was over 7 years ago. My leg should be stronger than this. I want to make progress but seems I have to take it sooo much slower than I’m used to. I didn’t think I was pushing that hard it’s only 4km. About half of that’s gradual inclines. I been working on swallowing my pride and dropping to my lowest gear and just puttering up the hills rather than pushing too hard.

Nothing to really be done just needed to vent a bit. Skipped my ride yesterday (had work on my motorcycle anyways). Think I may get out today after work on a even shorter loop.
Old 03-12-20, 04:54 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself; you're out there doing what you can and right now that's all that matters. Chin up
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 03-12-20, 10:40 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Dude, you are out there doing it..... give yourself break

venting is ok

Low gears and pedaling faster are your friend, Better to do that then mash and stress

here is an interesting read that may help a bit...point is it can't be all stress https://www.outsideonline.com/232774...ss-rest-growth

Old 03-12-20, 01:42 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Have you seen an MD? Bleeding after 7 years would concern me.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-12-20, 02:06 PM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
I still have swelling and have to be careful following an accident (and botched surgery) about 15 years ago, and had problems similar to yours for a while. If you can, see a doctor about the swelling and especially bleeding. I don't think it's right you're still have troubles from an accident that long ago--as it wasn't for me--and it's extremely frustrating. It can also get very problematic, as it did in my case as I wound up getting an infection. Please don't let that happen.

I wound up working with a plastic surgeon who recommended compression socks after the bleeding stopped, which I've worn since. When I had bleeding, I covered the wound with sterile gauze then wrapped my foot, ankle, and leg with an ace bandage, starting from the bottom and wrapping up. The plastic surgeon said to do it that way to prevent blood from pooling. (I don't know why none of the other doctors had mentioned that). That helped me heal, but this is only my experience, so please talk to your doctors (and/or find better ones).
Old 03-12-20, 03:26 PM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks all I will keep at it. To stubborn to give up.

As for my leg. Last time I seen doc they were not too concerned. Was maybe 2 years ago. I dont feel like there’s any major cause for concern as the tissue is very brittle especially on my knee cap and just about the ankle (this is where the majority of the damage occurred leaving only 1-2” of tissue connecting the foot to the leg.)

that being said generally things stay togeather unless I bump the leg on something. The other day I admittedly could have bumped it somewhere at work and didn’t notice. Since I hopped on the bike immediately when I got home. It was a single small trail of blood from my knee to my ankle. That was smudged by my pants. Far from anything too concerning.
Old 03-13-20, 05:19 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with an o.p. that provides so little background information. However, it is just good Exercise Technique to allow a day of recovery after each session. People can, and do, sustain daily 4km ride regimens. How long did it take them to get to where a 4k ride did not involve swelling or bleeding? Highly individual. Stubborn? You say that like it's a good thing. My advice: take it easier on yourself than you have been. Also, it isn't just about getting exercise. How is your diet? Weight? Sleep? None of my business. I'm not asking out of curiosity. You should know the answers and know if things are in a good place or not. Blimey mate, I thought Canuks were more sussed out about stuff like this.