Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shall I invest in a new bike or a power meter?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-21-20, 07:49 AM
diana101

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everyone, so my coach has been telling me to invest in a new, better carbon bike. I currently ride an aluminium bike with shimano Tiagra groupset. He's telling me not to purchase a power meter unless i get a new bike with professional fitting to ensure the power i put through my my riding is efficient as he says i currently have a poor fit on my current bike.

He claims its more important to get a better bike with better rims/wheels than a power meter.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-21-20, 08:02 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by diana101
What do you guys think?
A) What's the point of having this coach if you don't trust him and listen to him? B) You should get a new coach.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 03-21-20, 08:05 AM
diana101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do, of course, but I also like to see what others think about the matter and their opinions.
Old 03-21-20, 08:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Hello everyone, so my coach has been telling me to invest in a new, better carbon bike. I currently ride an aluminium bike with shimano Tiagra groupset. He's telling me not to purchase a power meter unless i get a new bike with professional fitting to ensure the power i put through my my riding is efficient as he says i currently have a poor fit on my current bike.

He claims its more important to get a better bike with better rims/wheels than a power meter.

What do you guys think?
Okay, to be clear, you're confusing the main issue: don't frame is as better bike vs power meter - frame it as "a properly sized and fit bike vs power meter." If *that's* the question, it's not much of a question - get the right sized/fit bike.
Old 03-21-20, 08:16 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
What are your goals? Planning on racing? Oh, definitely get a bike that fit and is comfortable regardless.
Old 03-21-20, 08:20 AM
diana101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My goals are to do triathlons, so i suppose yes, racing it is. Cycling is my dominant sport, and it's something i'll continue doing in the long run, I like being fast on the road. But also, I am only getting into triathlon, i've done 1 so far and hoping to continue finding my love in the sport.
Old 03-21-20, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Is your current bike an incorrect fit? If so, it should be what's addressed first.
I would disagree that the new bike must be carbon, that's absurd, but sure- proper fit is a priority over a power meter.

If your current bike is an excellent fit, then why do you need a new one? Has the coach specifically state why a new bike is needed?...it cant possibly be just due to yours being an aluminum frame since, as stated, that would be absurd.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-21-20, 08:38 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
You need a new bike. We all do and I just got one.
Old 03-21-20, 08:39 AM
diana101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is your current bike an incorrect fit? If so, it should be what's addressed first.
I would disagree that the new bike must be carbon, that's absurd, but sure- proper fit is a priority over a power meter.

If your current bike is an excellent fit, then why do you need a new one? Has the coach specifically state why a new bike is needed?...it cant possibly be just due to yours being an aluminum frame since, as stated, that would be absurd.
I feel my bike has a longer top tube which makes reach a little stretched out even though I have a very short stem already.

He always comments on how I need an carbon bike as it's faster, lighter than an aluminum which I disagree with as you can get top of the range aluminum frames! He always disregards and talks down my aluminum frame. Honestly I think being a stronger rider comes before flashy equipment. The flashy gear won't make me fast if I'm slow let's say. Don't you think?
Old 03-21-20, 08:40 AM
diana101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
You need a new bike. We all do and I just got one.
Congrats! What bike did you get?
Likes For diana101:
Old 03-21-20, 09:00 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Congrats! What bike did you get?
De Rosa Protos Di2.

In February is was hit on my Giant on the 14th and my old Protos on the 19th. So this is a replacement!!! For the later

Waiting on it and it’s coming from Italy. So could be a while
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 03-21-20, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
There are probably a significant number of people with power meters finishing in the bottom of the field. Listen to your coach if you don't want to be one of them.
Old 03-21-20, 09:38 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I agree with your coach although I personally would never get a bike fit. I would do it myself and work out my best position. Carbon fiber maybe be lighter but not necessarily faster. Where to you like and will you do a lot of climbing. If you are just riding in relatively flatter areas I would consider and Ti frame as a better bike but certainly you can find CF bikes cheaper.

Power Meter probably ok at some point but I don't think necessary.
Old 03-21-20, 09:57 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I feel my bike has a longer top tube which makes reach a little stretched out even though I have a very short stem already.

He always comments on how I need an carbon bike as it's faster, lighter than an aluminum which I disagree with as you can get top of the range aluminum frames! He always disregards and talks down my aluminum frame. Honestly I think being a stronger rider comes before flashy equipment. The flashy gear won't make me fast if I'm slow let's say. Don't you think?
I'd find a new coach.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-21-20, 10:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

As an amateur adult, you are spending your free time by paying someone to help you and having to listen to them talk bad about your bike?
There are about 8 ways I could see me handling that situation and none of them end with me quietly complying by buying a new bike and also staying with the coach.

If the bike doesnt fit, then by all means get something that's comfortable. That's obvious.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-20, 10:44 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
As an amateur adult, you are spending your free time by paying someone to help you and having to listen to them talk bad about your bike?
There are about 8 ways I could see me handling that situation and none of them end with me quietly complying by buying a new bike and also staying with the coach.
If the bike doesnt fit, then by all means get something that's comfortable. That's obvious.
Funny, I'd rather have my coach give me his honest opinion, as opposed to being a yes man merely because I pay him. The bike apparently doesnt fit and the coach is letting her know that - what's wrong with this?

To answer the original question - better fitting bike.

As for Al vs carbon - while it is true that you can do well on an Al bike, the fact is that most of the nicer bikes these days, in terms of aero, weight, stiffness as well as better components, tend to be carbon. So it isnt just a matter of frame materials. If you are going to spec out a nice bike with Ultegra, deep section wheels for triathlon, etc, you might as well get a carbon one.
Old 03-21-20, 10:58 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I do, of course, but I also like to see what others think about the matter and their opinions.
This means you don’t trust him. He is right btw
Old 03-21-20, 11:06 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I'm reserving judgement until the OP posts a photo of the bike in question.
Old 03-21-20, 11:15 AM
diana101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mercator
I'm reserving judgement until the OP posts a photo of the bike in question.
It won't allow me to post a photo as I'm new here and don't have enough posts, but it's an Orbea Avant H40 with Shimano Tiagra groupset, 2019 model and weighs about 8.5kg or 9kg.
Old 03-21-20, 11:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
IOW, it doesn't fit. Get a new bike that fits.

Honestly I think being a stronger rider comes before flashy equipment. The flashy gear won't make me fast if I'm slow let's say. Don't you think?
Obviously, but it's not about this, so stop trying to making it about this. Get a new bike that fits.

He always comments on how I need an carbon bike as it's faster, lighter than an aluminum which I disagree with as you can get top of the range aluminum frames! He always disregards and talks down my aluminum frame.
Normally, I might think, "man, this guy is a dink - get a new coach" But based on your continued conflation of the issues, I'm inclined to give him some benefit of the doubt.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-21-20, 11:55 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
The way I see it, you want to go faster on a bike. The ways to go faster are to produce more power, get more aero, and/or get lighter (if there's a lot of climbing).

For most people a combination of training to produce more power and getting used to a more aggressive aero position will make a much bigger improvement to speed than better equipment. Only if one is nearly maxed out their power and aerodynamics do expensive solutions, aka marginal gains, matter.

Does your current bike prevent you from training properly to increase your power? Is it impossible to get as aero as you could be? If so, then you need a new bike.

​​​​Does not having power reduce the quality of your training? If so, you need a power meter.

If in truth you have a lot of room for improvement even if you stayed with your current bike, then you don't need the new equipment. Doesn't mean you can't get it. TBH I don't even race, but I upgraded from an Al Tiagra bike by getting both a power meter and a CF bike because I wanted to, and in my situation the PM made a much bigger impact, while the CF bike was just more comfy for long distances and slightly better on long climbs.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-21-20, 12:08 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Do the triathlons you want to do allow TT bikes?
If they do you should be riding one.
Old 03-21-20, 12:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Funny, I'd rather have my coach give me his honest opinion, as opposed to being a yes man merely because I pay him. The bike apparently doesnt fit and the coach is letting her know that - what's wrong with this?

If you are going to spec out a nice bike with Ultegra, deep section wheels for triathlon, etc, you might as well get a carbon one.
Of course an honest opinion should be given. when I said 'talk bad', I was referring to the material/quality of bike and not the fit. This should be clear since I then specifically mentioned fit aside from the comment about the coach ripping on the bike.

A carbon frame in and of itself will not make the OP a better/faster rider. The coach was ripping on the frame material, which I think is dumb.

Perhaps a carbon frame ultegra with deep rims isnt in the budget. Though if a coach is in the budget, that level bike could probably be afforded.

Anyways, an honest coach when it comes to fit = good.
And coach ripping on a customer's bike due to frame material = bad.

Hopefully that clarifies things.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-21-20, 12:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
So ask your coach what he'd recommend that's in your price range and go test it. You just might be astonished at the difference. Or not notice any. Why are you asking us before already having done that? See if the shop will allow you to take the bike to your coach's recommended fitter too, just to see. Do something. And yeah, get the PM with the bike, if you buy a bike, part of the package. Ask the shop. Might make a difference as to which bike.

I'd ridden steel and alu when I bought my carbon bike, and I was astonished. Just sayin'.
Old 03-21-20, 07:57 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Of course an honest opinion should be given. when I said 'talk bad', I was referring to the material/quality of bike and not the fit. This should be clear since I then specifically mentioned fit aside from the comment about the coach ripping on the bike.

A carbon frame in and of itself will not make the OP a better/faster rider. The coach was ripping on the frame material, which I think is dumb.

Perhaps a carbon frame ultegra with deep rims isnt in the budget. Though if a coach is in the budget, that level bike could probably be afforded.

Anyways, an honest coach when it comes to fit = good.
And coach ripping on a customer's bike due to frame material = bad.

Hopefully that clarifies things.
Ah fair, thanks for clarifying.

That said, I am with WhyFi here - the OP seems to be trying to come up with reasons to argue with the coach's point. If I were to give the coach the benefit of the doubt, I'd assume he has said "your bike doesnt fit. Get a better-fitting bike and consider a carbon one while you are at it". And the OP has made it out to be be "he is slagging my Al bike and trying to force me on carbon".
Likes For guadzilla:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.