Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Would you trust a straightened front axle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 01:31 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts

Hi,
while servicing a beater bike I discovered that the front axle was bent:

My first thought was ”that looks scary to mess with” so I swapped in another wheel and sent the bike out the door. (Don’t have a spare axle or donor hub at hand)
Later though, a treacherous thought came sneaking in:”I wonder if that could be straightened?”
And since I already had it apart and still in the shop, it was easy enough to try.
It turned out to be surprisingly doable. Within minutes it was straight enough that I couldn’t see any bends either rolling it across a reasonably flat surface or by holding it against the ruler.
The question is - now what?
If I reassemble the wheel, can it be trusted to be put back into service?
Or should I put it aside to wait for a new axle or donor hub to come my way?
Cups looks nice. Cheap, but round and true rim. Cones also OK.
Old 03-28-20, 02:01 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If it has only been bent and straightened once, it is probably OK to use. If it gets bent and straightened a number of times, it may become weak.
Old 03-28-20, 04:48 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Since it's a solid axle you might be okay, but far better to salvage a straight one, I think.
Old 03-28-20, 04:57 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
That one, yes.
Old 03-28-20, 08:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
For something as inexpensive as this................ Why?

Of course if I couldn't get a replacement before I had to ride, I'd make do and use it until I had the new part. Might avoid potholes and stumps.<grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-28-20, 09:03 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Of course if I couldn't get a replacement before I had to ride, I'd make do and use it until I had the new part. Might avoid potholes and stumps.<grin>
+1 Why?
Old 03-28-20, 09:16 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Since it's a solid axle you might be okay, but far better to salvage a straight one, I think.
Actually I'd feel more comfortable riding a straightened QR axle. Breaking would be no big deal until I took the wheel off and the bearings fell out.

This is a place where mediocre (soft) steel would a far better candidate for straightening than a quality axle.

Ben
Old 03-29-20, 01:50 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Mostly to keep the number of UFOs - as in Un Finished Objects - down.

The rest of the wheel is in good enough condition for me to want to hang onto it.
But w/o an axle it gets delegated to that embarrassingly large pile of stuff that MIGHT be rendered useful, some day.
And down that route is hoarding.

With a functional axle, it goes into the smaller stack of items that are ready to go. Which feels like a nicer, healthier direction.
Old 03-29-20, 07:18 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You should also consider what could happen if a straightened front axle breaks whilst you're riding in traffic or at any speed. Things that are okay on the rear wheel in case of a failure may not be so good on a front wheel.

Seeing as how you have the axle out of the hub, I'd take the axle and a nut to a bike shop (if one is open) near you and get another axle with the same threading. In my honest opinion it's far better to be safe than sorry when it comes to a possible front wheel failure.

Cheers
Old 03-29-20, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by dabac
Mostly to keep the number of UFOs - as in Un Finished Objects - down.

The rest of the wheel is in good enough condition for me to want to hang onto it.
But w/o an axle it gets delegated to that embarrassingly large pile of stuff that MIGHT be rendered useful, some day.
And down that route is hoarding.

With a functional axle, it goes into the smaller stack of items that are ready to go. Which feels like a nicer, healthier direction.
I didn't think you'd believe I meant replace the wheel. I meant to imply you just go out and buy a new axle which is about $4.00 new. Or scrounged for free. The bent one can go in the scrap steel bin for future recycling....... no pun intended.

Also, straightening a bend in the threaded portion is always more iffy than the unthreaded part. Threads don't let the surface spread the stress of bending and unbending as well as a smooth surface.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-29-20 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-29-20, 10:21 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
I snapped a rear axle climbing a hill in the catskills, thankfully within a 1/4 mile of the end; the result was both the chain and seat stays bent along with the non-drive dropout and the wheel from slamming into the frame as I quickly ground to a halt. I'd expect a front axle snapping to be less catastrophic to the frame but far more so to the rider should it happen on the downhill. I'd trust it more with a quality quick release which might not be the most structural thing in the world but would still hold things together as snapped pieces would be wedged together and things would just get a little sloppy, I've actually seen this happen to a customer's front wheel and it took me a moment to figure out why the slop wouldn't go away by removing the skewer. With a bolt on wheel there's nothing holding the fork together other then the fork and it isn't designed like that. I wouldn't trust it.
Old 03-29-20, 10:58 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
An old USA / British made steel solid axle when straightened is better than a new chinese one. That small bend in a good steel axle won't be weakened by straightening.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 03-29-20, 11:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by grizzly59
An old USA / British made steel solid axle when straightened is better than a new chinese one. That small bend in a good steel axle won't be weakened by straightening.
Oh... so we need to know the origin country of the axle to determine whether it should be straightened. Interesting..... <grin>
Old 03-29-20, 03:43 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Back in the mid-1980's I snapped the rear bolted on axle of my 21-speed Bianchi MTB as I was riding up a paved road out of a valley. When I got to the top I wiggled the wheel and though perhaps the cones had come loose. I road the bike home and when I removed the rear wheel to adjust the cones the two broken halves of the axle fell out.

I really would not want to be riding any bicycle when a front axle broke.

Cheers