Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Proper routing of rear brake cable

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 03:29 PM
hput3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bike: Denali 6061, large frame, drop bar

Having a heck of a time googling up a close enough image of brake cable routing to really see a few things.

Can anyone post a close-up image that displays rear brake routing from brake handle on drop bar to the first
cable bracket on top tube. So sometihng like the first 14-18 inches

I need to be able to see where the cable comes out from under bar tap and on which side it passes by the fork on its' way to first cable bracket under top tube.
Old 03-27-20, 04:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I don't have the time to search the many on line images but here's how I figure this stuff out. Casing length needs to be such that when the bars are fully turned in both directions the casing doesn't go taught. Too long a length and one can always go back and trim some off, too short and...The path of the casing wants to be a smooth and with as little tight curves. Generally this is done by having the casing pass by the headtube on the same side as the toptube cable stop is on. If the stop is centered on the tube then try the side first that needs the longer length of casing. Where the casing exits the lever body determines the side of the handle bars the casing goes along. Many drop bar levers have the brake casing exit on the inner top part of the body. So the casing would travel along the bar on the front of the bar (or the inside of the bar's curve) and exit the bar tape between the bar bottom and front. Andy
Old 03-27-20, 05:26 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Too long a length and one can always go back and trim some off, too short and...
Don't neglect to pull the inner wire out far enough when trimming the outer casing. Of course I have NEVER done this....
Old 03-27-20, 05:51 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Don't neglect to pull the inner wire out far enough when trimming the outer casing. Of course I have NEVER done this....
LOL. Me neither
Old 03-27-20, 05:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The rear brake cables usually comes out from under the bar tape near the stem and is then routed across in front of the head tube and down the left side of the top tube to the first housing stop. Be sure to leave enough slack so the handlebar can be turned all the way to the right against it's stop without pulling the housing tight.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-27-20, 10:57 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Always install the rear brake cable first. That way if you screw it up, you can shorten that cable to use on the front.
Old 03-28-20, 10:09 AM
hput3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I don't have the time to search the many on line images but here's how I figure this stuff out [...] Andy
Apparently none of the posters are riding a denali and could not just shoot a snap with their camera.
I was afraid there would not be many if any Denali folks here.

However thank you all for the great input. Esp Andrew supplied enough info so even my pea brain can follow.
Thank you all
Old 03-28-20, 10:25 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
This help?