Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 11:00 AM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Day 17 of my lockdown yesterday...ride #17 also😉. Couple hours on the old px10 around UW.

Likes For Bogester:
Old 03-29-20, 12:16 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Your Acorn bag looks quite well used but also seems to be keeping it's shape better than mine. Do you have any kind of reinforcement on the inside?

​​​​
It's 2 years old and yes, It's seen a lot of use and it has held up quite well. It has a one piece thermoplastic internal stiffiner that lines the sides and bottom of the bag and I use a Decaluer.
I use one of the supplied velcro straps underneath to wrap around the front rack to hep hep the bag from sliding sideways (It still does, a little..)
The bag is too large (should have bought a medium size) to fit properly on the bike so it tilts a bit forward but hey, lessons learned to next time order the bag AFTER the bike is delivered and built up.

The adage "Nature abhors a vacum" is so true. I carry way too much stuff must of the time. One of these days, I'll suck it up and buy a smaller bag and correct that mistake.

Originally Posted by Bogester
Day 17 of my lockdown yesterday...ride #17 also😉. Couple hours on the old px10 around UW.

Red Square looks to be in prime bloom right now. Beautiful!
Likes For northbend:
Old 03-29-20, 12:44 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
It's 2 years old and yes, It's seen a lot of use and it has held up quite well. It has a one piece thermoplastic internal stiffiner that lines the sides and bottom of the bag and I use a Decaluer.
I use one of the supplied velcro straps underneath to wrap around the front rack to hep hep the bag from sliding sideways (It still does, a little..)
The bag is too large (should have bought a medium size) to fit properly on the bike so it tilts a bit forward but hey, lessons learned to next time order the bag AFTER the bike is delivered and built up.

The adage "Nature abhors a vacum" is so true. I carry way too much stuff must of the time. One of these days, I'll suck it up and buy a smaller bag and correct that mistake.
Gotcha! I run mine the same way with the internal plastic and a VO decaleur. Overall if works fine but the top is starting to sag. Mine is empty most of the time though. Probably going to make an aluminum strip reinforcement sometime soon to go around the top
Old 03-29-20, 01:27 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
All the shutdowns, quarantines, and shelter in place orders can be depressing, but it feels good to ride, even if it's a road I've ridden at least a thousand times. This may be the best time of year, too, when the grasses are green, the creeks are running and the wildflowers are in full bloom. In a few weeks, the wildflowers will be gone, and by May the grass will be turning brown.

Likes For Straightblock:
Old 03-29-20, 02:59 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Took in a pleasant 25km ride along the river trails on a cool spring afternoon. Unfortunately, the local forecast for Monday doesn’t look very promising with 10 cm of snow predicted and -11 C by mid week.

Likes For Batstar:
Old 03-29-20, 04:27 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I rode up to a Canadian tire store today to get a cheap pair of V-brake levers (straight bar type) and a chain for a bike I'm building to give to a guy I know. Got a coffee after at a Tim Horton's that still has walk-in service because that Tims is located inside a gas bar/variety store. No Tims will serve bicyclists or pedestrians at their drive-thru.

Then I took a bit of a ride out into the country and hoped I'd get the ride done before the next wave of rain came. Beat the rain home. The ride home was interesting as I had to ride south and then west. the wind was 40+ kph with gusts up to 80 kph. Thank goodness my MIELE MTB has a dropbar and bar-end shifters.

Used my cell phone to take some images and then when I got home I figured out how to upload them to my computer. that's a first. Here are a couple of images of a creek I stopped at for a bit and a swamp I rode by later.

It was between 18C and 20C today hereabouts so was pleasant to ride.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 03-29-20, 07:09 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Been away from C&V for awhile but must say I really like how you built up the Gazelle frameset.

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Ride reports and pics are always welcome.

I got out yesterday (which was today yesterday but would yesterday by yesterday's tomorrow, if you follow me, seein' as how I wanted to post this yesterday).

34 miles on the '77 Gazelle. Temps in the lower 40's when I started, upper 40's when I got home, a fierce wind out of the northwest. Lots of cyclists out plus many more walkers than in the old days.

In sunshine

and in shadow

Most trees are still awaiting spring

I really like the feel of this frame, quick, responsive. I'm still not sold on the trip crank yet.
Old 03-29-20, 07:11 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Left on wet/damp/dry roads expecting showers if I stayed out long. Lower traffic made normally ‘bad’ routes enjoyable today. Over to Newcastle and some of the hills around Factoria, before heading home and arriving in sunshine. Needed more cogs out back, but that’s a vintage life sometimes, can’t take a triple every time. The drivetrain tolerated a grind or two.
A lotta coal references around the Coalfield section of King County, one of the last unincorporated areas.

edit: 1984 Pinarello Super Record,
USA ‘1st Olympic gold medal in men’s road race’ tribute paint
Los Angeles Olympics were fun. Didn’t see bike events.
guaranteed authentic, decals are all flaked off.

Tight geometry shows ups on white, so do colors.

This pic would normally be impractical on a high traffic road.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-29-20 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-29-20, 08:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
A meandering ride through local Burke/Fairfax Virginia this afternoon after an hour's walk with Mrs.Doc around the lake. Lots of family action, kids wandering around and newbies looking like young colts finding their legs.
Hope that after this is over and things go back to normal that these families remember the pleasure of an afternoon walk/ride together.
Freedom Trail. Nice mile long MUP opened up a year or so ago. Alert readers will note the NOS Rolls saddle on the Davidson:

Hidden Pond Nature Center. Been around like, forever. My daughter had her 10th birthday party here! Home to many an aquatic turtle. Note four of them huddled together on the log on the center of this picture:
Old 03-29-20, 08:24 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Another ride in the rain today around the upper Valley.
Looking south at Mt. Si from the top of a nice climb out of Ernies Grove..
Looking South at Mt. Si by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Looking up at a seasonal waterfall on Mt. Si...
Seasonal falls by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I wasn’t out long, maybe an hour and a half. A squall blew in and drenched me thoroughly but still it was better than not going out at all.

Besides, I was able to stop and support a local business on my way back home. Take out only, of course…
A sign of the times by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Likes For northbend:
Old 03-29-20, 10:27 PM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't posted in a while but I went on a nice ride today on a new to me Kuwahara X-Transition , a 700c Hybrid / Cross ish thing I'm guessing from the early 90's.

It was a gorgeous day for a ride here in Manitoba, hope everyone is staying safe.

Old 03-29-20, 11:07 PM
mattk42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Took a ride in through the campus today, but didn't take any pictures today. The magnolia trees are gorgeous but have begun to drop their petals. The photos are from two weeks ago, taken using a vintage Pentax M42 on my Canon SLR. Last week was pretty rainy, but I need to prioritize getting out for rides. I've been working from home mostly, so it's not terribly challenging to make that happen. Gotta do it! For health, physical and mental.

Likes For mattk42:
Old 03-30-20, 03:29 AM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Company ....

Originally Posted by Batstar
Took in a pleasant 25km ride along the river trails on a cool spring afternoon. Unfortunately, the local forecast for Monday doesn’t look very promising with 10 cm of snow predicted and -11 C by mid week.

Looks like the geese are trying to do their social distancing as well!
Likes For MezzoLew:
Old 03-30-20, 05:37 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Been away from C&V for awhile but must say I really like how you built up the Gazelle frameset.
Thanks. The build took a long time but did end up nice. A few details need looking into when I have time (which ain't never gonna' happen). For example the fork has a slight misalignment with the skewer loose but when I tighten the skewer the wheel straightens up to dead center. I don't feel it when I riding so I'm inclined to leave it alone. It ain't broke enough to fix it.

It rides so differently from my other Gazelle, an '86 CM. The '86 is made with 531C; I should look up what this is likely made with. The '86 is a bit softer and easy to ride hard for a long time. This '77 is tighter, more like my Masi, as if it was meant for criteriums or shorter road courses. I assume the difference is more the style of the decade. I haven't ridden it for anything like 50 miles or more yet, no opportunity.
Old 03-30-20, 09:42 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by MezzoLew
Looks like the geese are trying to do their social distancing as well!
Speaking of Canada Goose (not the bird), the company is doing its part in helping the campaign against COVID 19 by devoting time to manufacture medical gear for front-line health care workers.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6730438/c...-medical-gear/
Old 03-30-20, 10:41 AM
Bogester 

Yesterday’s escape ride to Marymoor and back on my Hetchins.
Likes For Bogester:
Old 03-30-20, 07:27 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I'm currently out in an almond orchard enjoying the songs of birds in the cool green... Got my '70 Raleigh Super Course by my side.

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 03-31-20, 06:27 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Meandered for 35 miles on the Eddy today. Spring in Virginia is breathtaking!

Old 03-31-20, 12:50 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Had an hour to spare after today's video conferences and before dinner, so I took the Nöll out for the first bit of fresh air today.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-31-20, 04:13 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,587 Times in 1,223 Posts
From the Benicia bridge. Nice stretch of the legs, 70% solo.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-31-20, 05:13 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
All the shutdowns, quarantines, and shelter in place orders can be depressing, but it feels good to ride, even if it's a road I've ridden at least a thousand times. This may be the best time of year, too, when the grasses are green, the creeks are running and the wildflowers are in full bloom. In a few weeks, the wildflowers will be gone, and by May the grass will be turning brown.

Nice Eisentraut!
Old 03-31-20, 08:11 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
A quiet 8 miles to work this morning. Usually there's the rumbling from cars zooming on the freeways but lately its been silent. Didnt feel like driving so took the Tommasini out.

Likes For malcala622:
Old 04-01-20, 10:43 AM
Bogester 

Dodging rain showers in Seattle yesterday.
Likes For Bogester:
Old 04-01-20, 01:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I had a glorious ride yesterday. Hilly and challenging and beautiful. I had to stop taking pictures: every spot was scenic, and I would not make any progress if I took more pictures.

I forgot my helmet. Oh well. I enjoyed myself.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-01-20, 02:05 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mrs non-fixie had the afternoon off, and I decided to join her for a ride. Her Snel and my Nöll were by the door and their tires were all "fluffed up", so we took those.

I had replaced her Challenge Strada Bianca tires with Panaracer GravelKing slicks. Thought the red would look better on that bike and they would be comparable in ride quality. But she complained that the bike felt slow, compared to earlier rides. I'll have to look into that.

We rode around the Braassemermeer lake, a nice 40k ride for an early-in-the-season afternoon like this.

It was rather cold, and someone had at least thought of these guys. Such a nice gesture, don't you think?

Likes For non-fixie:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.