Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why were bikes chrome plated?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 05:23 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

I have a 1972 Nishiki Professional whose frame and forks are chrome plated. This was the top of the line Nishiki made in 1972. Why was this frame chrome plated before being primer coated and then painted? I have seen Japanese "Silk" bikes that were also chrome plated, was this common, or, reserved only for top of the line models. I would think the latter as it would add another step and cost into the manufacturing of the bike.

I know that today finding someone who will chrome plate parts is a real search and then getting them to do a high quality chrome plating a similar task.

Thanks for your history, recollections of this question.
Old 10-21-17, 05:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Chrome plating of fork ends front and back in the "Italian style", is a classic look, probably started to add some protection in the areas most likely to be scratched by things like wrenches when removing the wheels.

Plating of the head lugs was probably a cosmetic statement, whereby the details of good workmanship showed out better.

When plating, some makers masked off the rest, but others simply plated the whole part, and painted over. In most of the frames that were fully plated, they would only polish the areas they planned to leave. So, you don't have the option of removing the paint to find a shiny frame underneath.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-21-17, 05:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I as understand it there are or were two schools of thought. One was just to help protect the frame and as stated they were left rough and painted over. There is also a school that says it did something to the metallurgy and made the frames stiffer.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-21-17, 05:51 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
How about for the same reasons they used to chrome plate car bumpers, bling and protection from the elements.
Old 10-21-17, 05:57 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
The 1st fully chromed race bikes that I saw were track bikes whose finish gets banged up in normal handling to/from events, in the many gear changes for types of races and as part of the inevitable contact & crashes. Elegant is a fully chromed Paramount P-14.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 10-21-17 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 06:20 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Chrome plating under the velodrome lights just looks so Styling.
Gotta love chrome plated spokes too and mega polished Scheeren rims.
Chrome bars and stems...
Morelon, Nicholson, Trentin...
Old 10-21-17, 07:16 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Not necessarily top of the line, although those are the ones you commonly see. The 1972 entry level Bottecchia Special were plated then painted over, and with the paint quality back in 1972, it showed quickly. Mine started the flaking within a few weeks of being purchased new.

As @FBinNY stated above, the chrome in those frames painted over were frequently left with a rough, unpolished surface since it wasn't visible. Not easily polished out, or even possible in some cases.

Bill
Old 10-21-17, 07:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
There is also a school that says it did something to the metallurgy and made the frames stiffer.
Yes, the ASFE* has made this claim often.

Chrome is *****in' and sexy. And that protection thing.

*ASFE = American Society of Fraudulent Engineers. Crap steel and modern super steels are just about exactly the same stiffness if made in the same gauge. Stronger steels allow for thinner walls.
Old 10-21-17, 07:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

*ASFE = American Society of Fraudulent Engineers. Crap steel and modern super steels are just about exactly the same stiffness if made in the same gauge. Stronger steels allow for thinner walls.
Yes and if you take advantage of the added strength and go with thinner walls, you get a more flexible frame. BITD before stiff was king, that added flex was considered to obey a good thing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-21-17, 07:30 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by gugie

That one is going to be remembered, excellent name for a "Professional Society", for some folks I have encountered. Winner Gugie, definitely a winner.
Old 10-21-17, 07:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
Because there is a basic human need for shiny:

...it's in Maslow's self actualization hierarchy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Chrome '73 Paramount 001.jpg (313.2 KB, 933 views)
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-21-17, 07:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Durability of finish first, bling later.

DD
Old 10-21-17, 07:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
I think there were some Italian brands that painted a translucent paint over chrome (I think). Anyway, it created a shiny deep rich paint.

Maybe Pinerello or Torelli.

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-21-17, 07:55 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

^^^ Chromovelato finish, beautiful workmanship!
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 10-21-17, 08:22 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Durability of finish first, bling later.

DD
FWIW, when I find neglected bikes with rust, the chrome areas always have more rust issues than painted areas. For some reason, chrome seems to be more susceptible to rust. And once it gets pitting, it will never look good.

On the other hand, I love chrome bikes.

Definitely NOT limited to top of the line. Some lower end bikes were chromed, while some top of the line had no chrome. My chrome Katakura Silk was really a mid-level bike which came with nothing special Suntour LePree components. Since mine was parted out by the prior owner, and acquired as a bare frame, it now sports Suntour Superbe Pro components.

+10 Translucent paint over chrome looks fantastic.
Old 10-21-17, 10:54 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Thanks all, excellent to get a perspective on this subject. The reason for the question is the picture below:

P1060436.JPG

Sadly someone road a badly miss-aligned rear wheel to the point that it rubbed through the silver paint, white primer, chrome plating down to the steel tubing, which shows its surface rust surrounded by the remaining chrome plating. In other spots on the down tube and fork, paint has been chipped off and the chrome plating shines through. Though as you say it is rough on the fork and down tube, sigh, sadly quite polished and shiny on the left inside chain stay tube pictured above.

Any suggestions on a good rust inhibitor to apply over the surface rust shown above? I am a little nervous about sanding given how thin tube walls can be.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-17, 04:46 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Soak a towel in evaporust, wrap around the afflicted area, then wrap some plastic wrap around the towel (to keep the towel 'wet').

Clean with 90% IPA when done, run some clear nail polish over it, and love the battle scar.
Old 10-22-17, 04:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Full chrome bikes are one of my favorites and the bike does not have to be high end...

Old 10-22-17, 06:04 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
One of my high school pals rode a 1961 Schwinn Continental, complete with the original suicide front shift and an aftermarket Campag. GS rear derailleur and barcon. After he had crashed it (classic front-wheel pop-off), his father, the engineering manager at a heavy machinery plant, replaced the fork with an all-chrome one and had the frame chrome-dipped. Particularly when he waxed it, it certainly looked sharp.

As for cars, I recall chrome-plated door handles, which somehow look OK on a 1950s or 1960s Chevy, but which stood out dreadfully on some late model Acuras, including the TSX Sport Wagon I wish they had continued into the next generation.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-22-17, 08:02 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I've had several frames chromed under the paint, and all had polished/smooth areas only where the paint was left off.

This includes Italian:
Cinelli Super Corsa, over SLX
Mondonico Diamond, over SLX
D'Arienzo (Basso's frame builder) SLX
Cinelli (Chirico) Centurion Equipe, over SL (also over SP on larger frames)
Pinarello Montello, over SLX

and Japanese:
Lotus Classique, over Tange Champion #1 (Tsunoda frame builder)
Centurion Turbo, over Tange Champion #1
Centurion Semi Pro, over Tange Champion #1
Raleigh Competition, over 555

There is no doubt in my mind that the Lotus had the best quality plating and painting.

The Italians were no more consistent and thorough with their painting than they were with their plating. It's almost like they lost interest after they put their magic into the ride quality of the frame. The Japanese seemed the opposite in that their frame finish quality was much better, but the frames rode very well but not magically.

I've often wondered why the best steel frames I've ridden have been fully painted, both Italian and Japanese. I would think a full court press on finishing would follow the design, craftsmanship and attention to detail on the frame building. Imagine if Cinelli or Pinarello had sent their frames to the Panasonic National plant to be painted....combining the best both had to offer.

I may have missed some that I owned, but others here have the same experience, I think. My guess is that it was a relatively convenient corrosion protection, since parts of the frame were being chrome plated, anyway, like fork ends/crowns, lugs, etc.

I've stripped two of those down to the plating, and have yet to find one where the areas intended for paint were filed/polished fine enough to be left unpainted and looked at closely. Painters sure don't like to paint over chrome, but I imagine the rough chrome was much easier in that regard.

Chrome accents look great. All chrome is a totally different look, more dependent upon accents than a painted bike, and has a smaller group of fans, in my experience.

In the end, if I had to do it again, I'd follow Doc Cannondale, and find the frame I want, send it to Al Wanta or Joe Bell to be done the way it should have done to begin with.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-22-17 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-22-17, 08:28 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
BITD before stiff was king, that added flex was considered to obey a good thing.

A shop owner at a shop I worked at years ago rode a Teledyne Titan , -- he swore the flex in the frame helped propel him up hills as it recoiled in a whipping motion to give some added boost

Me personally, I think if that flexy flyer was any better on hills, it was due to it weighing 17 or so pounds in an age when 21 pounds was considered light
Old 10-22-17, 09:31 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Who was the premier Italian builder who said chrome was nonsense for a top tier race bike? Added weight and changed the tubes original characteristic -performance traits.
Old 10-22-17, 09:39 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Remember, there are different qualities of chrome plating, too. Cheap jobs done for purely asthetic purposes are no better that a paint job, but a good 'hard chrome' job that actually bonds the chrome-and-nickel-heavy layers to the base metal will resist corrosion and last a lot longer (and cost more, too). And its tough to paint over a good chrome job; the paint doesn't bond all that well and will eventually start to come off. Of course, why would you want to paint over a good layer of chrome plating?
Old 10-22-17, 09:45 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Who was the premier Italian builder who said chrome was nonsense for a top tier race bike? Added weight and changed the tubes original characteristic -performance traits.
That was Luigi Ricotta-Lasagna late president of the ISFE famous for his assertion that brazing during the dark of the moon imparts a melancholy in Columbus framesets that make them desultory, languid and ill-suited to field sprints while fabrication during the phase of the full moon imparts an assertive bold and aggressive aura ideal for winning breakaways. Luigi's framesets were marketed in the USA under the "Il Buio Della Luna" name.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 10-22-17 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For Bandera:
Old 10-22-17, 09:51 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
^primavera!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.