Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter project: upgrade cranks + chain line

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-05-19, 01:31 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts

Hello! I've got some questions to ask now that I've done a bit of research.

I'd like to upgrade my cranks to something else. I'm currently running 1X set up, GXP (68mm) BB and SRAM S300 messenger cranks. On the rear is a Force1X derailleur.

Right now the chainline is set up so it's smooth as butter at 11T and stays that way until the higher gears where there it is more noticeably less so.
I know the easy option is to just get a set of SRAM Force/Apex/Red 1x cranks from their current line. Those are out of my price range, and I am totally fine using used parts of Craigslist. I like being able to piece something together with random quality parts to make it work.

Ideally, I'd consider an older SRAM Red crank from a few years ago. I'm open to Praxis, Rotor and almost any other brand aside from Shimano. Nothing against Shimano, but I dont want to mix SRAM with Shimano parts.

I'm confused as to which cranks would be suitable from older generation models and how to tell? Am I worrying too much about chainline because it's easy to adjust and I just don't know how to yet? Any suggestions for cranks? Is there a quick way to tell what the chainline will be with any particular set of cranks?

Thanks peeps.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-07-19, 12:46 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Are you currently using a proper 1x narrow/wide chainring?
They are made with some offset to bring the chainline closer in and towards the centre of the cassette.
Old 11-08-19, 11:48 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
I am, but it's one that came with the S350 messenger crank and so its not really intended to me removed. It has the same 1 logo on it as other 1x drivetrain pieces in the SRAM family, but I get the feeling that the chainline is not correct.

I did some research and found out what you said. So, I'm going to buy some old SRAM red carbon cranks, sand the logos off and repolish I'll post updated when I get them.