Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What gearing changes should I make to my Tarmac for better climbing in Maine?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What gearing changes should I make to my Tarmac for better climbing in Maine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 11:50 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by jdishner
It would help, but I am also looking at changing the chainrings and/or the crank as well. The 36/52 is harder so in some ways it's training you to be faster than all the other people with smaller chainrings that you're riding with, but in the elevation I'm at now I won't be able to efficiently use all of the gears, and that's not smooth.
I feel you. It's indeed harder and for my part, it took me a while to adapt but I eventually got used to it. I also ride in high elevation where my average speed is way less than if I was riding on flat roads. I use my lowest gear a lot.

Keep us posted of any changes & results.

Last edited by eduskator; 03-30-20 at 11:55 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-30-20, 03:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I don't want to be "that guy", but maybe just ride a little more in the area before you try to buy climbing ability. It's never easy to climb hills at first, but you'll get faster.

We used to say "HTFU", but some people get offended by that now.
My first couple years as a cyclist, I had this map in my head of where all the hills were, and how to get around them. I thought that's what you did. Then I started riding with people who liked to bring the pain. Hated them for a couple weeks. But I was amazed how quickly it got easier, and how much more fun riding big descents was than endless flats and small rollers.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-30-20, 04:23 PM
jdishner

Bikes: Schwin Paramount XL, 2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Imo, just stick with your current crank and get a 11-34 cassette, a new chain and GS rear DR. Only if that is not adequate I would replace the crank. As mentioned the GRX line is suitable, but the 48/31 is a bit pricey and requires a GRX front DR as well. 48/11 is plenty for most. The GS rear DR is not an "upgrade", its has a longer cage to accommodate the bigger cassette.
Thank you Dan. I wish I could edit the title of my thread, after considering all the responses I realize this is less about the climbing and more about overall usability of my gearing. I know the climbing will come with time and miles, and my lowest gear will be enough when my fitness hits where it needs to be. After fooling around on sheldon's gearing site I am thinking that the solution for starters is a couple of new chainrings, and keep everything else the same. I'm thinking either a 46/32 or 48/34, it will diminish my top end up because so much of the local terrain is false flat I'm not going to be using the 52/11 or even close to it. Thank you for your help and input!
Old 03-30-20, 04:26 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by abshipp
I've noticed a similar phenomenon when I ride my fixed gear. Since I'm stuck in 44x17 I just get out of the saddle and stomp my way up rather than shift, sit, and spin.

I fully endorse the idea of going to smaller chainrings. I have a 46/30 on one of my bikes and I more or less treat it as a 1X plus granny. 98% of my time is on the big ring in the middle of the cassette.
I believe this is what I will be doing, at least to start. Replacing the chainrings with smaller ones solve this problem in my mind. A little easier in both the little and big ring, spin a little faster, have a little easier gear in the back, with minimum invested in case I don't like it. Thank you.
Likes For jdishner:
Old 03-30-20, 04:27 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by Iride01
I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but didn't 105 5800 have a triple front DR version? Or was this the previous 10 speed 105's? Since I've been up and down the Maine coastline several times sailing, I know there are some pretty long climbs and maybe a triple would be a better way to adapt the current bike if there isn't room for a new bike.

Of course a triple might be more severe with noise cross chaining. Hopefully those will only be gears needed briefly. Also, the shifer will be an added cost along with other changes.

And in case I missed it, I'm still not certain the OP's bike is 11 on the rear, so I may just be prattling nonsensical stuff. Please don't tell me I always do that...... <grin>
It's 11 speed, but I can't open up my mind to three rings up front.
Old 03-30-20, 04:32 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
If it’s so hilly that you can’t ride it with a 52/39 and 11/32, well, you’re unlikely to average 18-19 mph with smaller gearing unless you’re just pulling our leg. You’re going to spend a LOT of time on those climbs, and you said there are no flat sections... I’ve been to Maine plenty of times. It’s not the Alps, nor is it the Rockies. Sure, there are some serious grades, and they also go DOWNHILL, too. Keep your taller gearing available for using on the gravity-assisted sections. (On which you will spend far less overall time, but still need to pedal.)

Or HTFU.
You're right in a way - I'm not where I normally am in terms of fitness, had to move and didn't train much this winter so I dropped the form I had nearly completely. At this point I'm going to HTFU for one, but also going to change the chainrings to smaller ones so that I have more usable gearing along the uphills that aren't climbs. A big part of this is me just having lived in FLAT Chicago for the past 20 years, and even there the 52/11 was used only seldom. I'll get faster on the hills with riding them, but I want a smaller overall gearing so I can use more of it.
Likes For jdishner:
Old 03-30-20, 04:34 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by kingston
Sounds to me like you need a new chainset. Gearing is pretty personal, but 46/30 is good if you are riding mostly solo rides and don't need to keep up with a group. 46x11 is over 40 mph @130 rpm, which is fast enough for me. I just got an Easton EC90 with a 46/30 to replace a 50/34 on one of my bikes. EA90 is a much cheaper version of the same thing. One nice thing about the Easton crank is that it's very easy to swap rings if you decide you want different gearing.
You got it, that's what I'm almost set on. New chainrings while keeping everything else the same. 46/30 or 48/32 - just have to play around on sheldon's gearing and decide what would be best for me. I am going to try and keep the same FCA crank I'm using now and just change the rings.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-30-20, 04:35 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by Steve B.
First step is to verify you can lower the front derailer as it has to be lower to work with smaller rings. Not likely to be a problem, as modern systems since about 9 spd. have been using 50/34 cranks as standard, but never hurts to check. Only older frames where a 53/39 crank and using a braze-on mount had issues.
It does lower, I just did an adjustment and had to lower it then, and there was plenty of room to drop further down. Thank you!
Old 03-30-20, 04:38 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by Steve B.
GRX also comes in a 46/30, but as you stated you want speed, going from a 52 big ring to a 48 or 46 is going to have you spin out earlier. These are as BTW, the Shimano cranks. FSA also makes similar cranks. My Cannondale Topstone came with an FSA 46/30, works just fine with a 105 derailer. An FSA Omega ME is $131 https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/omega-crankset-4659

But really only YOU know what gearing is going to work so for know I'd pay attention to how often you fine yourself in the 52/11, ask if you need that, maybe do a gear chart to plot out the options.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
This is the solution I'm pretty set on doing, although I'm going to research changing just the chain rings instead of the whole crank. Nothing wrong with the crank I have now, and the cost would presumably be lower. Going to play around on Sheldon's site some more to see where I'm at with what speeds. Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 03-30-20, 04:43 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
With a 48/11 top gear, like I have, it takes about 113 rpm to hit 38 mph, so riding in the 25-30 mph range is no problem. You should not be changing gearing to use the big ring more. Only change if your lowest gear is not low enough to get up the steepest climb. Use each ring where it's appropriate. If the 52 and next to largest sprocket is too much gear, then shift to the little ring. That transition speed will probably be about 15 mph. The big ring isn't for climbing.

I ride plenty of 10-12% grades and at my advanced age, a 34/29 was not low enough, so I first changed to the largest sprocket available, which is a 32 for Campy 11. That worked, but I wanted lower, so a year later the 12 speed Chorus 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette was just what I needed
Thank you Dave, I'm definitely not capable of climbing the hills here in the big ring, but I would like to be able to use the big ring more overall as I prefer to grind a little versus just spinning. That could of course be because of my 52/36 that I've been using, but even in flat Chicago I rarely was able to use the 52/11 without a significant tailwind. I think leaving the cassette the same (for now) and changing to smaller chainrings is the way to go. I appreciate your input!
Old 03-30-20, 04:46 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Roadlink is a bit of metal that hangs the RD lower, allowing a bigger cassette to fit, for $20. The other part of the equation is taking up the slack chain on the small/small end.

Road RDs typically would have a short cage- the part with the pulley wheels, newer ones may have mid cage- longer & able to take up the chain for wider gear range, or long cage-

usually found on mtn bikes. GS means the same as mid-cage.

phrantic09 says he was slower with lower gears, & that's understandable- he might have been faster still on a single speed, as you have to turn the pedals fast enough to avoid stalling,

but it's also what you're adapted to. I've had that experience- faster up 18% grades with the 28 than 34, but the price is paid by the end of a long ride.

48/11 gets you to 35 mph at just over 100 rpm, where a good tuck will give more speed than more pedaling (assuming that one is not a monster going over 35 on the flats). 52/11 goes to 37 or 38 mph.

Plus, Eddy Merckx.

IMO, all the fuss about close ratios doesn't amount to much, as the middle & lower end of the cassettes are much the same, but I live in a hilly area, YMMV.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and input. I'm deciding on what chainrings to get but I think that is all I am looking to change at this point. If I can change to a 46/30 or 48/32 it will allow me to keep everything else the same (save $$) while still accomplishing the greater usability of my gearing.
Old 03-30-20, 05:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Some people love wide ranging cassettes, like an 11-36. You get a lot of low end, without giving anything up on the high end.

Some people hate them. Bjumps between cogs. Which means it's a lot more likely in many situations that you won't have a gear that lets you maintain your speed at your preferred cadence. I'm in this camp, I think going fast is fun, but being forced to change my cadence can fatigue me after a while.

I'm riding a compact with a 12-28. I thought I'd never miss the 11T, surprised that occasionally I do wish I had it. But you can't have everything, and a little high end for more low end with tight spacing is a good trade off. Not that it really matters what I prefer, I'm not going to ride your bike for you.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-30-20, 05:18 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Thank you Dave, I'm definitely not capable of climbing the hills here in the big ring, but I would like to be able to use the big ring more overall as I prefer to grind a little versus just spinning. That could of course be because of my 52/36 that I've been using, but even in flat Chicago I rarely was able to use the 52/11 without a significant tailwind. I think leaving the cassette the same (for now) and changing to smaller chainrings is the way to go. I appreciate your input!
If you change to a 48/32, it will give you a significantly lower gear, more use of the big ring and a top gear that can still easily hit 35 mph. That seems like it's worth trying and won't require a new RD, but you will need 8mm more downward travel at the FD. The chain may need to be 1 inch shorter.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-30-20 at 05:22 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-31-20, 06:41 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
My first couple years as a cyclist, I had this map in my head of where all the hills were, and how to get around them. I thought that's what you did. Then I started riding with people who liked to bring the pain. Hated them for a couple weeks. But I was amazed how quickly it got easier, and how much more fun riding big descents was than endless flats and small rollers.
Mental barriers, huh! Went through the same thing here. I don't ride on flats anymore except when the girlfriend wants to join me for a ride.
Old 03-31-20, 07:04 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I like this gear calculator a bit better than Sheldon's. It's so easy to change variables to compare the various combinations. It fills in a lot of blanks for you that you have to manually input on Sheldon's. https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed

Based on my observations 90% of the riders I know would be better off if stock gearing were somewhere from a 44-30 or 40-26 and 11-36. I am getting ready to build a bike, and that's what I am going to put on it. I just have to figure out how to get there with a mechanical disc set-up.
Old 03-31-20, 07:12 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I like the Mike Sherman calculator the best. Easier to visualize the impact of different setups. I'll sometimes open up two windows and look at them side-by-side.
Likes For kingston:
Old 03-31-20, 04:10 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Hello, I recently moved to Maine from Illinois and there is a lot more elevation here. I was already advised to go with a smaller front ring in Illinois but I was ok with powering along at a slightly lower cadence, however one ride here has convinced me that I need to make a change. I have a 2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport (specs on bikeradar here) with a stock 52/36 up front and 11/28 in the rear. Suggestions?
How much do you weigh, how much does your bicycle weigh, what is your mean maximal power curve, what grades are you climbing, how long are they, and what is the total length of your rides?

You can't have a meaningful answer without that.

I really liked 50-40-30 x 13-21 for the Colorado Rockies in the 8 speed era. With 11 cogs and 36 small ring 12-25 would be good for the mountains.

You might want a 42–30–20 triple crank and/or 11-36 cassette.

You need to figure it out with some arithmetic or change things until you're happy.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21350628-post18.html

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-31-20 at 07:40 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 03-31-20, 04:26 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
The best part of this whole search for gearing is that if it doesn’t work out, the OP still has th3 original gearing to go back to if needed. Sounds like a fun experiment. I have a set of compact chainrings for my bike but I’m just so used to the 52/39 now (previous bike has 52/42!!!) that I’m not ready to try compact rings. But I’ve gotta do it at some point just to see how it rides. OP has some great ideas and I hope we find out which way he goes and how it works.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-31-20, 06:48 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
The best part of this whole search for gearing is that if it doesn’t work out, the OP still has th3 original gearing to go back to if needed. Sounds like a fun experiment. I have a set of compact chainrings for my bike but I’m just so used to the 52/39 now (previous bike has 52/42!!!) that I’m not ready to try compact rings. But I’ve gotta do it at some point just to see how it rides. OP has some great ideas and I hope we find out which way he goes and how it works.
As of this moment I'm in contact with my LBS about changing the cassette to 11/34 and the front chainrings to 50/34. I think it will give me the best overall combination of what I am looking for. Will keep you posted!
Likes For jdishner:
Old 04-01-20, 04:39 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Hi There,

I also live and ride in Midcoast Maine and enjoy some spirited group rides on hilly roads. I have been using 50-34 front chainrings and 11-30 cassette. If I'm planning to ride a super long ride like a brevet, I'll swap the cassette to 11-34 or 11-36. I have an Ultegra GS mid-cage derailleur and it's an easy swap. You've mentioned wanting to try a 46-30 chainring swap. That won't work with your current crank which is probably 110bcd. 34T is the smallest you can go (actually 33T if you buy a fancy French TA chainring). For those smaller chainrings you'll need a new crank like the already mentioned Shimano GRX or Easton EA. If you're looking for a good shop to help you with this, Bath Cycle in Woolwich have amazing mechanics!

David
Old 04-02-20, 12:07 PM
jdishner

Originally Posted by David in Maine
Hi There,

I also live and ride in Midcoast Maine and enjoy some spirited group rides on hilly roads. I have been using 50-34 front chainrings and 11-30 cassette. If I'm planning to ride a super long ride like a brevet, I'll swap the cassette to 11-34 or 11-36. I have an Ultegra GS mid-cage derailleur and it's an easy swap. You've mentioned wanting to try a 46-30 chainring swap. That won't work with your current crank which is probably 110bcd. 34T is the smallest you can go (actually 33T if you buy a fancy French TA chainring). For those smaller chainrings you'll need a new crank like the already mentioned Shimano GRX or Easton EA. If you're looking for a good shop to help you with this, Bath Cycle in Woolwich have amazing mechanics!

David
Thanks David!
I'm planning on keeping the crank and changing chainrings to 50/34 and the rear to 11/34, hopefully that will do the trick. I have it at SideCountry in Rockland now and I've been impressed with their approach so far, but it's always great to have options. Thank you for your input, happy riding!
Old 04-02-20, 03:12 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Thanks David!
I'm planning on keeping the crank and changing chainrings to 50/34 and the rear to 11/34, hopefully that will do the trick. I have it at SideCountry in Rockland now and I've been impressed with their approach so far, but it's always great to have options. Thank you for your input, happy riding!
This is a great hill setup.

The deal with steep areas is that you tend to be in the bottom of your low gears or the top of your high ones. This means that midrange selectivity isn't so important -- and when it is, you can just swap in a narrower cassette because the extreme ends won't be so useful in such riding situations.

If 34x34 isn't enough to get you up those hills, a smaller ring combo up front (probably requiring a new crank) will probably be the ticket. Spinning out in high gears is really not an issue. Even with a 46 big ring, you don't spin out until 40mph -- at which point aero rather than your ability to spin the pedals is what's holding you back.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 04-02-20, 04:04 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
The deal with steep areas is that you tend to be in the bottom of your low gears or the top of your high ones. This means that midrange selectivity isn't so important -- and when it is, you can just swap in a narrower cassette because the extreme ends won't be so useful in such riding situations.
The problem is that steep areas are sometimes next to flat areas. That's basically the theme of the Puget Sound area, especially for allroad riding: the river valleys are flattened out by stuff like lahars, with clusters of hills rising abruptly between them, all bordered by the Cascade foothills. If I wanted to do a ride from my home to the top of the nearest large foothill, it would include almost 20 miles of near-flat stuff and a 1-mile climb that averages almost 16%.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 04-02-20, 04:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I like the Mike Sherman calculator the best. Easier to visualize the impact of different setups. I'll sometimes open up two windows and look at them side-by-side.
Yip, well done calculator. Saved alongside Sheldons, thanks for the link
Old 04-02-20, 04:23 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The problem is that steep areas are sometimes next to flat areas. That's basically the theme of the Puget Sound area, especially for allroad riding: the river valleys are flattened out by stuff like lahars, with clusters of hills rising abruptly between them, all bordered by the Cascade foothills. If I wanted to do a ride from my home to the top of the nearest large foothill, it would include almost 20 miles of near-flat stuff and a 1-mile climb that averages almost 16%.
But what gears are you actually using in the flats? Do you often use the 50/14 or 50/12 combinations. Im not, at least not on solorides.

Comparing a 11-28 vs a 11-34 the 11-34 is actually Better up to and including 50/15, assuming a 50t big ring.

Bicycle Gear Calculator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.