Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What do you do about people who list their bikes for outrageous prices?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 06:38 PM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

In my area you get people who think because the bike is old it's worth a fortune.

These bikes sit forever with noone buying. I have sold quite a few vintage bikes of good quality for reasonable prices (flipping). Even at lower prices the bikes did not sell instantly it took a while, not a huge market in my area. How do you approach someone to inform them the price they are asking is outrageous but you would be interested at a fair price?
Old 09-25-11, 06:41 PM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not worth your time or effort.
Old 09-25-11, 06:46 PM
Preynmantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
+1

IMO, capitalism is the best answer.
Old 09-25-11, 06:47 PM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It gets annoying. I want to shoot off angry emails all the time. "Your bike is a piece of sh... sell to me for 25$" Yea that wouldn't work.
Old 09-25-11, 06:49 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sometimes i send emails and screw with their minds..... it's actually entertaining...

for instance this guy was trying to sell a super cycle medalist from Canadian tire for 600 bucks on Toronto craigslist, they were selling for 99 dollars last year. Funny enough, ppl on the craigslist were Re:RE:Re: his post and making fun of the bike and telling ppl not to buy it cause it was worth no where near that. I wasn't one of the people involved in that one, but i find that on Toronto's craigslist, if you post a bike that's way too overly inflated, then someone will make a post or make fun of you or criticize you or whatnot. So it's pretty funny when it happens
Old 09-25-11, 06:51 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Aquakitty

Uhhh... ignore 'em.
Old 09-25-11, 06:53 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
Agreed and it's unfortunate since I have seen some bikes I would really lie to own. You wait a while and see the price drop and it's still ridiculous. I wonder what happens to it after the listing is gone?

I know. The guy says to his wife, " see dear I told you it wouldn't sell. I will just keep it". Nothing new about that huh.
Old 09-25-11, 06:55 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Ignore them. The price will come down, or they won't sell the bike.
Old 09-25-11, 07:01 PM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Why not simply offer what you like? Worst that can happen: you get ignored; you get a nasty email back; you get a counteroffer.

There's no point in telling somebody he's pricing something too high. The market will do that.
Old 09-25-11, 07:07 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Shave their belly with a rusty razor.
Old 09-25-11, 07:09 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 I ignore them, not worth my time, and the market will eventually educate them (if they are listening). Got a flipper in my area, his prices are usually 33% to 50% high, his ads suck, and his mechanic skills are lousy too. But I think his ads make my bikes look like a better deal, so I leave him alone.

While you may be interested at a fair/realistic price, they obviously are not interested in selling at that price. So move on, their loss.
Old 09-25-11, 07:09 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
sometimes i send emails and screw with their minds.
Oh, that was you?

It kinda bums me when people relist their crap bikes every day. I only relist my crap bikes every Friday and my ads get kinda lost in the noise.
Old 09-25-11, 07:11 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my area you get people who think because the bike is old it's worth a fortune....
It works both ways. Sometimes sellers know what something is worth and should sell for, only to have bottom-feeders respond and attempt to annoy them. If you see something you want, you can always try to negotiate. If that doesn't work, walk away, but leave your offer and phone number.

I waited two years to buy a lot of three bikes I wanted. The seller eventually called, and we made a deal. One bike was at one time, the earliest known CA Masi (from the first batch made in Carlsbad). Another, a full chrome Alex Singer camper, with all the goodies (less the bags), and the third, a pretty 'traut Limited with some nice bits on it. I got them all for my original cash offer, it just took a couple of years.

BTW- insulting the seller, whether he is or isn't reasonable, doesn't work very well.
Old 09-25-11, 07:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Same thing I'd do in a store. Pass.

You could make an offer, which the seller may think is as ridiculously low as you think the asking price is high.
If he/she refuses, then simply understand it's not a bike you're going to get for that price.

You may get a counter demand, also absurd, which is a good indication the two of you perceive things differently.
That's CL for you. He may think you are as uneducated about the bike as you think he is.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-25-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 07:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
It's a time/money tradeoff. Maybe these sellers don't care if it takes years to sell the bikes. Maybe they're just waiting for an idiot to pay $600 for a Canadian Tire bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-25-11, 07:50 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
It's annoying, but I find the guys that think CL is eBay and say they're looking to sell for the highest offer even more annoying. There's a guy that had a mid-80's Stumpjumper and said he'd take the best offer over $500. Evidently he did a little research and thought it was a collector's piece of some sort. It sat on CL for months with him trying to sell it like it was an auction. Every time he re-posted it, I would flag it for removal. I've not seen it for a while now, so I'm guessing he gave up or finally sold it.
Old 09-25-11, 07:52 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Not buy them......
Old 09-25-11, 08:06 PM
Alan Edwards

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the dull razor. Making fools of these people sounds like something a little more reasonable. How many times can you flag an add >??? I wish you could flag an add on ebay, there are several people asking stupid numbers for common run of the mill bikes.
Old 09-25-11, 08:07 PM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The whole make a bid for my bike on CL really bothers me more than stupid high prices on junk. The latter is permitted under CL terms of use and the former is not.

Originally Posted by photogravity
It's annoying, but I find the guys that think CL is eBay and say they're looking to sell for the highest offer even more annoying.
Old 09-25-11, 08:13 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
i report them to the moderator.

Old 09-25-11, 08:32 PM
bikemanbob

Bikes: Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, Bridgestone T-700, Miyata 700 GT, Trek 600, Trek 560 Professional Series, Chrome Panasonic DX 2000, Peugeot PH12, Peugeot PX10, Schwinn World Voyageur, Schwinn Circuit, and Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had bought several bikes from a flipper in a near by city. The prices were fair for the condition of the bikes. Somehow he came into possession of a Peugeot. The bike had a fork that was not original to the bike. Also, it had other noticeable flaws. I informed him that the bike had likely been in a accident. Even if the bike was in pristine condition, his bike was substantially overpriced. In an email, I gently informed him of the value of his bike. Although he was kind, it was apparent that he didn't accept my evaluation. Although I was attempting to be helpful, he perceived it negatively. Since then, I have decided to help only when asked.
Old 09-25-11, 08:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Some questions:

If you read an ad in the newspaper, for a car that is overpriced, do you notify the editor?
If you read a classified ad in one of those trader publications, do you notify the publisher?
If you walk onto a car lot, and a vehicle is priced at double NADA, do you call the mayor?

Why then, do we feel we need to take action when a bike is overpriced on CL?
What gives us the right to judge prices in classified ads?

Perhaps I didn't get the memo.

It's not an emergency situation, like with gouging after hurricanes.
It's a bike. It's priced by the seller, subject to the market's desires.

Is there some kind of rule out there that: "Thou must charge only prices that the internet public agrees with " ?

Perhaps we are so quick to criticize is because we can do it anonymously, and remotely.

I'm not defending the prices, but I do think it's a free country, and last I checked,
the government was not appointing price police. I'm sure that's coming; the price of votes seems to be going up.

I agree with the irritating "highest bidder" seller, but they were around in classified ads, too. Just say no?

I simply don't buy things that are grossly overpriced unless I have to (medical care, dentistry, HVAC repair, jewelry).
Other things, I avoid buying.

It took me 100x as long to write this as to make a buy/don't buy decision on a bike on CL.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-25-11 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 08:46 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
If I spoke to such a person, and I can't think of why I would, I would say:

'Thanks for making my prices look great. Also for making my photos, descriptions, and the work I do on the bikes I sell look awesome. By comparison to you I look like the freaking genius of bike history and mechanics, and like I'm the most trustworthy guy in the world. But words alone can't express how much you have helped me, it requires something more tangible. So here's my warmest handshake.'

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 09-25-11, 09:00 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
I wait. I have bought two off of CL this year that started about 2-3 times what I paid. If the seller really wants them gone, then reality eventually will sink in. The value hit on shipping for the Ebay excuse doesn't hurt.
Old 09-25-11, 09:05 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They just make my bikes look like a better deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.