Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Thinking about buying a Dahon

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 10:46 AM
BillN33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know very little about Dahon Bikes, but judging by this forum they are very popular.

We have two Brompton's, for the fold size and convenience - we use the Bike just for slowish pleasure rides as we are retired

I would like to buy a Dahon but would want one near in size to the folded Brompton - is the Mu say the Mu 10, the one to go for? - we would buy a good condition used Bike so a few pointers about what to look out for would be appreciated - how about the D7 is that near to our expectations . there are more of these about in the UK than the Mu

Thanks

Last edited by BillN33; 04-16-18 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 10:57 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Personal bias on the Mu: Many models have a Neos stay-mounted rear derailleur instead of a traditional RD dropout hanger. The Neos is expensive and has no other replacements, plus it doesn't have the greatest reputation for longevity, so if it goes, you have two options: 1. Get another one, or 2. Get an aftermarket dropout adapter which allows you to run a traditional RD in place of the Neos.

So if your D7 has a traditional rear derailleur hanger, in my mind, better than the Mu series, at least with the Neos RD.
Old 04-16-18, 11:02 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by BillN33
I know very little about Dahon Bikes, but judging by this forum they are very popular.

We have two Brompton's, for the fold size and convenience - we use the Bike just for slowish pleasure rides as we are retired

I would like to buy a Dahon but would want one near in size to the folded Brompton - is the Mu the one to go for? - we would buy a good condition used Bike so a few pointers about what to look out for would be appreciated - how about the D7 is that near to our expectations . there are more of these about in the UK than the Mu

Thanks
I'm sure a Dahon will serve you well if that is what you want, I'm not a fan myself. However I would advise against a D7 model instead pay the extra for the D8 version. Normally the D8 version will be a higher quality freehub based drivetrain; stronger, sharper shifting, lower maintenance and longer working life before replacement. D7 is pretty much the same low end freewheel based drivetrain you get on entry level folding bikes at the bottom end of pricing. It' there so Dahon can hit a price point to compete with more bikes but to me it doesn't make sense to buy such a bike with such inferior components when you can often pay less and get a bike with far better components.

If you want a Dahon the same approximate size as the Brompton when folded that would be the Curl model which is quite expensive and you would probably get a Brompton for similar money or less even. Most of the Dahon's sold are 20" models I believe, slightly larger/bulkier but not necessarily any heavier and they can ride better than folding bikes with wheels smaller than 20". However there are many such folding bikes by many brands and some offer far better value.
Old 04-16-18, 11:11 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You will find a Dahon Curve also with 16 inch wheels folds reasonably small..It has big apple tyres so is a little bit more comfy than a Brompton to ride..Generally they have a 3 speed hub..You may find one with a 5 speed hub or rare models with an 8 speed derailleur..
If you want a small folder look at Mezzos now called Origamis..or a Birdy ..
If you go for a Dahon the SUV , or any 6 speed models are good..Generally a steel frame..
As advised by Bonzo Banana stay away from Neos deraillers..
Dahon Speed P8 are brilliant bikes..but only with a standard derailleur..
Old 04-16-18, 11:54 AM
BillN33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guy, really helping to focus
Old 04-16-18, 09:36 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Just have to laugh, first time I've ever seen a Brompton to Dahon thread. It's always the other way around, lol. So many Dahon folks jonesing for a brompton =)
Old 04-16-18, 10:57 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
I have to laugh that you laugh that one who owns a Brompton would deign to look at a Dahon. Betrays a religious-like thinking where Brompton is uniformly superior in all respects. It ain't. There are many reasons to go for a Dahon over a Brompton. Let me count some of the ways:
1. Lower cost
2. Better value
3. Choice of Alu-alloy
4. Non-proprietary parts
5. Choice of ISO305, 406, 451 or 559 wheels
6. Wider choice of brakes, drivetrains
7. No in-bred sect, smug group-think.

Many Dahon owners who have no need or desire for a Brompton too. Sorry to burst your elite bubble.

Originally Posted by linberl
Just have to laugh, first time I've ever seen a Brompton to Dahon thread. It's always the other way around, lol. So many Dahon folks jonesing for a brompton =)
Old 04-16-18, 11:08 PM
dahonleslie

Bikes: Dahon Mariner, Dahon Speed,Giant XTC

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon EEZZ D3, Curv I3, Curl i4 can meet your demands.
Old 04-16-18, 11:08 PM
dahonleslie

Bikes: Dahon Mariner, Dahon Speed,Giant XTC

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
I have to laugh that you laugh that one who owns a Brompton would deign to look at a Dahon. Betrays a religious-like thinking where Brompton is uniformly superior in all respects. It ain't. There are many reasons to go for a Dahon over a Brompton. Let me count some of the ways:
1. Lower cost
2. Better value
3. Choice of Alu-alloy
4. Non-proprietary parts
5. Choice of ISO305, 406, 451 or 559 wheels
6. Wider choice of brakes, drivetrains
7. No in-bred sect, smug group-think.

Many Dahon owners who have no need or desire for a Brompton too. Sorry to burst your elite bubble.
Great pointers that are telling the truth.
Old 04-17-18, 02:00 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Just to reply to Abu..People buy Bromptons because of the fold not for the ride...and in that respect they are the best..Dahon have tried to copy them and continue to do so..I have had many folding bikes ..the best perhaps was a BF Tikit..but for the ride ..not for the fold.It folded like a bag of spanners..I have an old made under licence Dahon that I keep in Thailand..Great bike to ride but not to fold..I have a Phillips badged Dahon in the UK..again brilliant to ride..but the fold..YUK! Brompton owners are not a smug lot as you suggest..Bromptons may be expensive but you get your money back when you sell them ..You cannot say that about Dahons..The after sales service from Dahon is poor in the UK..It really relies on just one local dealer in southern England....Brompton's is much better..
We all love folding bikes in this forum and it doesn't matter what bike we have as long as we enjoy them!
Old 04-17-18, 02:26 AM
BillN33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Brompton's" - the old chestnut - "you get your money back when you sell them" - not true in many cases - as soon as you wheel it out of the showroom you loose £400, (x 1.5 to get US $), 40%+ of the cost - you see "almost new" Brompton's for sale on eBay at £300 less than list, but they don't sell and if they do the seller pays 12% in fees to eBay ... you see quite a few, "ridden once or twice" Brompton's for sale

OK a 10 year old Bike may sell for 50% of new list, but you have still lost £500+ if you bought it new

I bought the Brompton's purely because I can get two in the boot of the car with no sweat, and for riding on flat country and coastal routes in France and the more hilly routes in the UK, with my wife. I used to load full sized Bikes on the roof or on a boot rack, but it's too inconvenient these days.
IMHO a good full sized Bike is (far) better to ride anyway than a Brompton.

Why do I want another folding Bike to add to the two Brompton's - well one of my Brompton's is a single speed and to convert it to 6 with mudguards etc., will cost as much as buying a good used Dahon - if I buy a Dahon I can keep the single speed to single speed, (or maybe convert to 2 speed), and gradually develop the Bike, which is what i would like to do ........ OK I could fork out another £700 for a good used Brompton to add to the M6L and the S1E that I have, but I can buy a used Dahon D8 for under £300 ........ it's a no-brainer ....... and if I sell the Dahon I will get my money back.

Don't get me wrong the Brompton is a well built and quality piece of kit, but the main positives are it's folded size, easy of fold and build quality ........ and that's why they are bought ............... but there are many little "niggles" that spoil the ownership

Try finding and buying a kickstand, £65 aftermarket - OK some will say you don't need a kickstand, but I do for both Bikes when I use them ......... etc.,

Last edited by BillN33; 04-17-18 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 04:59 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why do I want another folding Bike to add to the two Brompton's - well one of my Brompton's is a single speed and to convert it to 6 with mudguards etc., will cost as much as buying a good used Dahon - if I buy a Dahon I can keep the single speed to single speed, (or maybe convert to 2 speed), and gradually develop the Bike, which is what i would like to do ........ OK I could fork out another £700 for a good used Brompton to add to the M6L and the S1E that I have,...
I am not going to talk you out of buying a Dahon, I just want to add to your options that you can still get the SA 5 speed hubs that can be used on Bromptons. i bought one since we have older B`s and mine came as a 5 speed with the akward 2 shifter hub but no option to fit a derailleur at the back to make it a 6 speed.

What to to depends on where you live. Around here nobody use or care about folders so you can get great bikes cheap. I got hold of a barely used Dahon MU8 for a friend last summer for £ 50. It spent most of its days innside a camper van. Dahon helios go for the same.

We have several folders and find they all do different jobs best. I find often that I want 20" size wheels with fat tyres (or the fat tyres of a Dahon Curve) instead of the slimmer smaller Brompton wheels.

Try look around the forum becouse there has been peopel saying there are now other folders available in the UK that are better value for your money than the Dahons, at least if you buy new. When buying used it depends a lot on the seller. Just remember that if you buy a Dahon second hand it may no longer have the warranty that the first owner got when buying the bike.

https://dahon.com/support/warranty/
Old 04-17-18, 05:02 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

My problem is the disdain, the condescencion inherent in the apparent humor ellicited by the idea of a Brompton owner deigning to look at a Dahon. It is doubly ironic because the Brompton owner is being laughed at by one who does not own a Brompton (but has established a pecking order in her mind). It could be about a Dahon, Tern, Origami, Downtube, Seattube, etc. bike. I call it elitist bool$hit. So many Dahon owners jonesing for a Brompton? Bool$hit. I reject the inherent pecking order.

Originally Posted by tudorowen1
Just to reply to Abu..People buy Bromptons because of the fold not for the ride...and in that respect they are the best..Dahon have tried to copy them and continue to do so..I have had many folding bikes ..the best perhaps was a BF Tikit..but for the ride ..not for the fold.It folded like a bag of spanners..I have an old made under licence Dahon that I keep in Thailand..Great bike to ride but not to fold..I have a Phillips badged Dahon in the UK..again brilliant to ride..but the fold..YUK! Brompton owners are not a smug lot as you suggest..Bromptons may be expensive but you get your money back when you sell them ..You cannot say that about Dahons..The after sales service from Dahon is poor in the UK..It really relies on just one local dealer in southern England....Brompton's is much better..
We all love folding bikes in this forum and it doesn't matter what bike we have as long as we enjoy them!

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-17-18 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 05:05 AM
BillN33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
I am not going to talk you out of buying a Dahon, I just want to add to your options that you can still get the SA 5 speed hubs that can be used on Bromptons. i bought one since we have older B`s and mine came as a 5 speed with the akward 2 shifter hub but no option to fit a derailleur at the back to make it a 6 speed.

What to to depends on where you live. Around here nobody use or care about folders so you can get great bikes cheap. I got hold of a barely used Dahon MU8 for a friend last summer for £ 50. It spent most of its days innside a camper van. Dahon helios go for the same.

We have several folders and find they all do different jobs best. I find often that I want 20" size wheels with fat tyres (or the fat tyres of a Dahon Curve) instead of the slimmer smaller Brompton wheels.

Try look around the forum becouse there has been peopel saying there are now other folders available in the UK that are better value for your money than the Dahons, at least if you buy new. When buying used it depends a lot on the seller. Just remember that if you buy a Dahon second hand it may no longer have the warranty that the first owner got when buying the bike.

https://dahon.com/support/warranty/
Thanks for your reply

what i sometimes cannot understand is that people mention "having a Bike serviced" - it's the easiest job in the world to "service" and maintain a push Bike - nothing to it - why would anyone take a cycle to a shop to have it serviced......... it's just a foreign term to me ....... all the "kids" I knew way back in the 60's could maintain, (I won't call it servicing), their own Bike

I keep looking on eBay for a Dahon - plenty around but it is finding one near to were we live for easy collection
Old 04-17-18, 05:18 AM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your reply

what i sometimes cannot understand is that people mention "having a Bike serviced" - it's the easiest job in the world to "service" and maintain a push Bike - nothing to it - why would anyone take a cycle to a shop to have it serviced......... it's just a foreign term to me ....... all the "kids" I knew way back in the 60's could maintain, (I won't call it servicing), their own Bike

I keep looking on eBay for a Dahon - plenty around but it is finding one near to were we live for easy collection
I know what you are saying, especially since around here I would not trust any of the shops with my folders, they simply have no idea what they are. In one shop a young man just stared on the front der. of my Bike friday and said something like "that thing is not common, I have never seen something like that". The old guy he worked with told him what it was. Not even a SA shifter you can get in the shops, and they do not know that you can use a SA 3 speed shifter on a Sachs hub but not the oposite. All the knowledge is gone with the "proper" LBS shops, I think there are at least 10 chain store bike shops in this area and ony 20 minutes away there is twice as many. I have to travel 2 hours by train or car to find a sop that MAY have knowledge.

On the other hand I understand the bike companys. If you have spent some time in this forum you learn what peopel are able to do to bikes. Not long ago somebody asked if it was OK to drill a hole in a frame to atatch something. I guess they just nees some way of protecting themselves against over eager DIY peopel.
Old 04-17-18, 08:11 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
My problem is the disdain, the condescencion inherent in the apparent humor ellicited by the idea of a Brompton owner deigning to look at a Dahon. It is doubly ironic because the Brompton owner is being laughed at by one who does not own a Brompton (but has established a pecking order in her mind). It could be about a Dahon, Tern, Origami, Downtube, Seattube, etc. bike. I call it elitist bool$hit. So many Dahon owners jonesing for a Brompton? Bool$hit. I reject the inherent pecking order.
Your problem is you're a troll. The laugh is because it's very rare to see a Brompton owner looking for a Dahon, which is factually accurate. You're being rude to Linberl for no reason.
Old 04-17-18, 09:12 AM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Your problem is you're a troll. The laugh is because it's very rare to see a Brompton owner looking for a Dahon, which is factually accurate. You're being rude to Linberl for no reason.
I agree. It was, what I assume she thought, an amusing observation. No one needs to flame her over it.
Old 04-18-18, 12:51 AM
Abu Mahendra

Joe Remi adjudicating good manners. Right.

Old 04-18-18, 01:06 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Joe Remi adjudicating good manners. Right.
You're damn right, buddy. This is the second Dahon thread in a row where the only contribution you've made is to be a negative weirdo and try to upset people. You're a troll and next time I'm going to figure out how to contact the moderators and get this solved.
Old 04-18-18, 09:22 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
You're damn right, buddy. This is the second Dahon thread in a row where the only contribution you've made is to be a negative weirdo and try to upset people. You're a troll and next time I'm going to figure out how to contact the moderators and get this solved.
Joe, relax. I blocked him long ago and nothing he says is even remotely affecting me. Now if I could just figure out how to block quotes of his spewing it would be perfect. He grinds that axe so often he will probably cut himself with it, lol.
Old 04-18-18, 11:50 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I believe in the recent past Abu was suspended for what you folks are talking about. Maybe he enjoyed that vacation and wants another. I personally just avoid reading Abu's posts. Roget

Last edited by rhenning; 04-19-18 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 12:57 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Thanks for your reply

"Servicing" sometimes requires specialized tools(bottom bracket tools, headset spanner, etc.) and/or model specific parts(Dahon latches, hinge assembly, etc.).

In the UK; you can also check in Gumtree. Not sure if Craigslist/Facebook is popular in your location.
Old 04-19-18, 04:10 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Also worth checking facebook marketplace, Shpock and there is local bike search thing site here;

Find That Bike

Which you can filter by location

While Dahon may overall on average represent a higher quality folding bike than an entry level bike there are many brands that offer superior bikes to entry level Dahon models often for far less money.

I mean look at this one for £95 looks awesome. I didn't even know Trek made folding bikes but the kit on that looks great and construction looks super strong. Great deal for anyone close to Ashington, Northumberland.