Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Motivational sights seen along the commute

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-23-19, 04:12 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

This morning was one of those mornings when I was just dragging on my way in, so bad that I even stopped to see if one of the brakes was rubbing while I wondered why am I doing this. But along the way I saw someone who was suffering the ill effects of not taking care of himself and that reminded me why I was pedaling instead of driving. I also got to appreciate some nicer scenery along that way due to slowly riding through it instead of being cocooned inside my car as I went through it faster, got to smell some fresh cut grass etc... what do you see (or smell, feel, hear) that motivates you to keep pedaling along your commute?
Old 07-23-19, 05:03 PM
GUMK

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
...what do you see (or smell, feel, hear) that motivates you to keep pedaling along your commute?
This morning was a perfect example of what motivates me...multiple traffic jams due to collisions on the major routes into the city I work in. Local trains delayed due to signalling issues. Local news full of the disruption...and none of it bothered me.

It was very hot for my part of the world (27°c North East England), I was able to just 'tootle along' at my own pace, passed approx 150 cars stationary in traffic jams, picked several 'side routes' to avoid the worst of the disruption and arrived at work taking an extra 5 minutes, whereas a number of colleagues were over an hour late.

Knowing I can choose my route and my pace has really helped me to de-stress at work, I'm on MY timetable, not worrying about connecting buses and trains, I'm far more 'chill'.

Strava, keeping track of my miles (just hit 2500 for the year), the sense of achievement that brings me.

In short, cycle commuting helps my mental and physical health, THAT is what motivates me, especially when the weather is not so friendly.

Last edited by GUMK; 07-23-19 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 05:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Any crest / pass / summit
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-24-19, 05:48 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
In the mornings, just the peacefulness of it all is what motivates me. Not many cars on the road, birds chirping, the sights around town are just very peaceful. On the ride home, its the last two miles when i'm on my MUP just whizzing by all the cars waiting to get through the intersection and knowing that I'll get through the light before many of them.

Honestly, this being my second year of riding to work what I find is just the peacefulness I get riding, taking my time and getting to notice more of the sights along my route that I would miss if I was in the car. I just find it more enjoyable the more I do it.
Likes For beachball42:
Old 07-24-19, 07:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Pikes Peak is everywhere...
The scenery, vistas and beauty of Colorado Springs. There's flora, fauna, and the foothills plus Cheyenne Mountain and Pikes Peak. I ride by a small, manmade lake wich has plenty of activity in the summer.

I ride by homeless camps and see a some craziness now and again, but I also ride through residential areas and see families and kids starting their days, and enjoying their afternoons (Except on the dark, cold winter commutes home).

I grew up in Chicago (7000 North) and after 27 years Colorado Springs still amazes me with its beauty. (It could use a lakefront, though, and proper deep-dish pizza.)

Here are some of my commutes...
https://www.youtube.com/user/bgvideo62/playlists
Old 07-24-19, 09:50 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I took the long way to work this morning...

Old 07-24-19, 10:23 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
You guys do have nicer scenery than me, but we've got deep dish pizza here.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 07-24-19, 10:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
On the Hudson River Greenway, I see a great number of physically fit people. They are the highlights of the scenery for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-24-19, 10:42 AM
chas58

You guys do have nicer scenery than me, but we've got deep dish pizza here.
No-mo: I took the long, scenic way in this morning. Although I have a fast cruise speed, I remind myself to slow down and enjoy pieces of the ride.

But if I'm in a hurry I'll take the direct route and maybe even use a motor on occasion.

Last edited by chas58; 07-24-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 11:46 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i don't have any spectacular scenery to roll past (chicago doesn't really do scenery), but at least i have a pleasant enough 6 miles along a greenway/linear sculpture park that makes up the middle 75% of my commute.

it's certainly not pikes peak or anything special like that, but for living in a big urban city, it at least gives me a modicum of some much appreciated natural touch - trees, birds, squirrels, bunnies, a (very) occasional fox, etc.

and, remarkably, it's very lightly used for going through such a heavily populated area. when i'm feeling motivated (aka there's a tailwind at my back), i can really open up the throttle and fly on open MUP.

another lifetime ago, i used to roll along chicago's magnificent lakefront trail everyday, which is as inspiring as scenery gets around here, but i do not miss the traffic of it one bit. Open and clear MUP is a beautiful thing.

Northshore Channel Trail & Sculpture Park:

source: https://www.traillink.com/trail/nort...channel-trail/
Likes For Steely Dan:
Old 07-24-19, 03:18 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
This morning was one of those mornings when I was just dragging on my way in, so bad that I even stopped to see if one of the brakes was rubbing while I wondered why am I doing this.

But along the way I saw someone who was suffering the ill effects of not taking care of himself and that reminded me why I was pedaling instead of driving.

I also got to appreciate some nicer scenery along that way due to slowly riding through it instead of being cocooned inside my car as I went through it faster, got to smell some fresh cut grass etc...

what do you see (or smell, feel, hear) that motivates you to keep pedaling along your commute?
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Pikes Peak is everywhere...

The scenery, vistas and beauty of Colorado Springs. There's flora, fauna, and the foothills plus Cheyenne Mountain and Pikes Peak. I ride by a small, manmade lake which has plenty of activity in the summer…

I grew up in Chicago (7000 North) and after 27 years Colorado Springs still amazes me with its beauty. (It could use a lakefront, though, and proper deep-dish pizza.)
I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work.

I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
…Funny the things you see from a bike that we otherwise wiz right by in our car
Thanks for that “travelogue’” @rummrunn6. So true about what you find on a bike

I have ridden out West in the Desert, Rockies, and vast Plains, and while interesting and scenic, the views are unchanging for miles, and I really enjoy the intimate quirkiness of Metro Boston:
And I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles [on my commute] through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park)…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-24-19 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 07-25-19, 01:12 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
Motivational? A mother grizzly bear and two cubs waiting alongside the road on my evening commute. Getting around them would have involved a 45 minute detour. I swung over to the opposite side of the road facing traffic and gunned it up to about 30mph. Didn't dare look back for a couple of miles.

Sorry: bit too preoccupied saving my skin to take pics. Garden-variety black bears are one thing, but a mother grizzly with cubs is a whole different risk paradigm.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 07-25-19, 02:49 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I took the long way to work this morning...

do you work in narnia?
Likes For phile:
Old 07-25-19, 07:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Motivational? A mother grizzly bear and two cubs waiting alongside the road on my evening commute. Getting around them would have involved a 45 minute detour. I swung over to the opposite side of the road facing traffic and gunned it up to about 30mph. Didn't dare look back for a couple of miles.

Sorry: bit too preoccupied saving my skin to take pics. Garden-variety black bears are one thing, but a mother grizzly with cubs is a whole different risk paradigm.
Motivated some awesome speed, I can see that. Motivated you to continue bicycle commuting? Man, you're 6 sigma off normal! (Welcome to the club!)

(I've never seen a grizzly bear in the wild, so I'm a bit jealous.)
Old 07-25-19, 08:41 AM
chas58

I dunno. I've tried to outrun wildlife. I had a deer once that was just determined to pass me and cross the road in front of me. I tried my damnest, but she won the race. The bear I've encountered tend to keep to themselves and stay away from people - and vice versa! Still, I ain't gonna mess with a mom and her cubs. Certainly you get a gold star for motivation - I'm sure your shot of adrenaline kept you pumping pretty hard!!!
Old 07-25-19, 09:50 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
do you work in narnia?
Worse, Fillory
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-03-19, 11:25 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts

Ah. the open trail

Winter sunset

Nice view
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-08-19, 11:25 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Sometimes it is difficult to not turn my commute into an unscheduled road trip
Old 09-08-19, 04:32 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
This week with the start of school there were a lot of secondary and college kids on the bikeway and the local arteries. It was a nice feeling to see all of these younger riders, even if it slowed me down a little
Old 09-08-19, 04:56 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Every ride: passing polluters and not being one of them!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 09-09-19, 06:06 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Cardiologist office I pass on the way to work.
Likes For wsgts:
Old 09-10-19, 05:02 AM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, and what’s left from my childhood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

There’s a creek if I were to turn 180 see everything from turkeys to deer to goats (places by the city).
Old 09-12-19, 07:46 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I passed 1 mile of bumper to bumper traffic that included a Ferrari. That motivates me to ride more.

Likes For SactoDoug:
Old 09-16-19, 02:53 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
More preaching to the choir.
Old 09-20-19, 09:04 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
My A1C is quite motivational. Not as motivational as a mother grizzly with cubs, but enough.

Last edited by Korina; 09-20-19 at 09:08 PM.
Likes For Korina:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.