Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

My crank arms are not aligned.

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 04-07-20, 08:22 AM
Fatherof2

Bikes: 1999 Trek T200 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

The crank arms on my Trek T200 are not in alignment. (Meaning that when my right foot is all the way down for example, my stokers foot is not.)

How do I fix this? Is it an easy fix? Best left to the LBS? Am I causing damage?

Thanks All!
Old 04-07-20, 08:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Should be an easy fix. Your captain's bottom bracket is mounted in an eccentric. That eccentric needs to be loosened and rotated so as to loosen the timing chain. Then you adjust the chain so the cranks are aligned and retighten the eccentric and check the crank alignment again.

That eccentric loosens and tightens in various ways, depending on what tandem you have. There's a good article on all this here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/synchain.html

There's a decent possibility that your eccentric has not been moved in a very long time and thus it is a bit corroded and frozen in position, which is probably a bike shop job..

Tandems require a good bit more maintenance that a single bike because there's more stress on everything, because they are more complicated, and because the cables are much longer. There are two approaches to tandem maintenance. Some folks take it to the bike shop for everything and never work on the bike themselves. Thriftier folks have a work stand and do most of the maintenance themselves, which is a learning process, but as the above article shows, there's a lot of info available on the web and google is your friend.
Old 04-07-20, 09:01 AM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Some teams like to have the pedals out of phase. If you read the same Sheldon article he talks about Phase here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/synchain.html#phase
Old 04-07-20, 09:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
^True, but in all my years of cycling, I've only seen one tandem 90° out of phase (OOP), for the very good reasons stated in the Sheldon Brown piece. I can't remember if he mentioned that the team can't stand on an out of phase tandem. However, I take it that in the OP's case, the crank arms are maybe only a couple teeth out of alignment, possibly because as was also mentioned in the article, some captains prefer their downstroke to happen just before the stoker's, thus pulling the stoker's foot over the top of the pedal stroke. This is more common with teams in which the stoker is new to cycling or not nearly as strong as the captain. That said, my stoker is much weaker than I, but we have our cranks exactly in phase because if feels better than way. My stoker absolutely loves riding the tandem, so I think we're doing it right, for us.
Old 04-07-20, 01:14 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
If the timing chain is appropriately tight (i.e. lose enough to not bind, and deflects about 1/2 inch when you press on it with your finger), you can adjust the timing of the two cranks without moving the eccentric. Derail the timing chain by pressing on it side ways as you turn the cranks, just as a deraiileur would.

Then line up both cranks parallel to the ground. Reinstall the chain, keeping the cranks in the same relative position, and you're done.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 04-07-20, 06:33 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Have you tried a few rides first to see how it goes? Mine came that way and the wife and I ride great with that setup...there is constant power and less stress on everything. We are by no means racers, so may depend on how extreme you ride the bike.
Old 04-30-20, 02:56 PM
Fatherof2

Bikes: 1999 Trek T200 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks All!

Thanks Merlin!

Worked like a charm.

So simple............I feel dumb for not thinking of that.

D.