Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- May 23/24

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-23-20, 10:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

How's your cycling going? Inside or out? Events or not yet?
Old 05-24-20, 10:02 AM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Played on some gravel while figuring out a new route

First, it’s been a while BF. Good to be back and still see some of the same people posting and even some of the same threads.

I’ve been taking advantage of working from home to ride more and longer. Starting to feel like I have some fitness coming back as my rides aren’t all short commute rides between home/office and the bus stop. So I’ve been thinking of longer rides I can do without needing to drive anywhere. 20-30 mile loops are pretty easy to come by, but I’ve been yearning for a path less traveled or just something new that I can get to from my front door.

To that end, I rode yesterday afternoon with the goals of putting in a longer ride to test my fitness a little bit, as well as figuring out the middle section of an “out” route that could easily become an out-and-back road/gravel century later this summer.

I put in 42 miles about half of which were on roads and trails I haven’t ridden before. Some of the roads were in terrible condition, and the trails were really great; hard packed gravel and the rain we had in the last few days kept everything damp but not muddy, meaning very little dust. Gravel was smoother than the roads in all honesty.

Fitness felt great. I could have put in more miles, but I’m trying to ease into it so I don’t injure myself, and I was trying to fit a tight timeline of when my 3-year-old was taking a nap. About the only time mom or dad can focus on anything for more than 30 minutes at a time.

For my future century plans, I’ll probably find a different route through that new middle section I was exploring yesterday. Will be more paved roads than gravel, but there will still be plenty of gravel with the trail that I’m connecting it up to.
Old 05-24-20, 11:59 AM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts

Rode up in North Carolina today for the first time. Nice change from the south Florida flat, windy rides I’m used to. Nice rolling hills and a couple of challenging (for me) climbs.
Old 05-24-20, 04:09 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
68 miles. 2600 ft of climbing. Fought some wind.

Old 05-24-20, 10:38 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Nice long-ish outdoor ride with a few friends (small group as to not break current laws) on Sunday. Not everyone's been riding or training since the quarantine started in March, so it was a relatively slow-paced ride around various parts of town with plenty of breaks in between. Practically Z1-Z2 for me.

Distance: 97.57km
Elevation: 737m
Moving Time: 4:38:49
Elapsed Time: 6:37:15
Avg Speed: 21.0km/h
Old 05-25-20, 12:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
64, 31 and 32 miles so far this long week/weekend. Rained out Sunday, might try again Monday/Memorial Day, if the weather cooperates. We're due for t-storms all week but might get a break mid-afternoon.

Mostly aiming for moderate effort rides while working on my heat adaptation, not trying to set any records. I can tell I'm not adapted yet. My perceived effort says Zone 2, but my heart rate says Zone 3-4. It's been harder the past couple of years to get heat adapted in summer, since my thyroid went wonky. Darned tiny glands seem to regulate or mismanage everything.

Anyway, I'll just take my time getting heat adapted. I can still ride early morning or at night if I feel like putting in a harder effort. Friday's ride went after dark and I felt stronger after it cooled off. Found an adolescent rattlesnake dozing in the middle of the rural highway where I often ride. Spritzed it with my water bottle to wake it up and chase it off into the pasture.

Monday: Another 31 miles, same route. On my hybrid, but close to same average speed as my steel road bike, but more comfortable with less effort. Kinda makes me thing my road bike isn't set up quite right.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-26-20 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-25-20, 07:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Not sure of the mileage, I don't track it. Maybe 50-60 miles, up to 6800 feet. It was one of those epic seven hour rides that was mostly torture after hour 3 or so. Mostly what i remember were miles and miles and miles, of this:

Tall trees and endless climbing.

Found a really pretty spot on the way up next to a little spring with a waterfall. I probably should have turned around right here, but I wanted to make it to the top of the hill.

The anti-climactic summit.

Had a fun descent though, 25-30 miles downhill, weaving through holiday traffic.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-25-20, 01:11 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I did my usual Sunday ride with a twist! I took a detour on my way home through downtown Ventura and past the County Hospital. This added some nice hills (gradual) for an extra workout. I set 3 personal records on my Strava, feeling good about that. Joe

Last edited by Kabuki12; 05-25-20 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 01:14 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Not sure of the mileage, I don't track it. Maybe 50-60 miles, up to 6800 feet. It was one of those epic seven hour rides that was mostly torture after hour 3 or so. Mostly what i remember were miles and miles and miles, of this:

Tall trees and endless climbing.

Found a really pretty spot on the way up next to a little spring with a waterfall. I probably should have turned around right here, but I wanted to make it to the top of the hill.

The anti-climactic summit.

Had a fun descent though, 25-30 miles downhill, weaving through holiday traffic.
Good job man! I like your Raleigh, is that a Competition? I have a 1977 black Competition GS. After seeing your post , I will have to ride it. I rotate bikes and it is time to bring the raleigh up! Joe
Old 05-25-20, 01:21 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Yep, pure 531 goodness, I think it's a 1976. Most versatile bike I own. I used it yesterday, because I originally planned on taking a dirt road on the way back (clearance for 32's and 35's!) but I was so tired and sore at the top, there was no way I was gonna risk getting lost on a barely-marked trail I had never been on, @ 6800 feet, with no cell reception. I'd have been eaten by cougars, most likely.

I discovered that 32's descend really well on pavement, the extra meat of the tire seems to hold the road slightly better than a skinny tire. I ran Panaracer Gravelkings in 700x32.
Old 05-26-20, 12:11 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Last Tuesday I got carried away on my weekday evening ride and ended up doing my S. Tampa Picnic Is. to Davis Is. ride for 42 miles. I was back in the Ocala Nat. Forest for the weekend. On Saturday I was riding in the forest and had a deer run next to me for about 10 yards before crashing back into the trees. About a mile later I got a flat. It was one of those tiny metal strands that come from radial tires. I put on a new tube while getting thoroughly bit by horse flies. The rest of the ride was uneventful until I was about 5 miles from home and got a flat from yet another one of those stupid metal strands. Argghhhh! 41 miles total. Sunday I went out again for 45 miles. Monday was rainy, so no bonus holiday ride.