Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Schwinn S1 - need some feedback

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 08:56 AM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

I'm moving to a new apartment in August that doesn't allow bikes inside. My bike is my sole form of transportation and I've been biking steadily for about 12 years so this is painful for me but I have to accept it since it's such a great apartment. I currently have a Fuji Absolute hybrid that i like pretty well but am really worried about it getting stolen even if locked up with 2 good locks outside. I'm thinking of selling the Fuji and getting a cheap bike that hopefully would be less likely to get stolen. I've seen some beach cruisers on Craigslist and it got me thinking that it might be nice to change to a cruiser. I have a lot of body pain and it would be nice to have a more relaxed style of riding. I've never worried too much about going super fast so that's not a huge concern.

Since I don't have a car, I use my bike for everything including commuting to work and going to various stores and carrying heavy panniers on my rear rack. I'm thinking of getting a Schwinn S! that I saw advertised - pictured below:

Here are my questions:
1. Would this Schwinn take a rear rack? It looks like there are eyelets for it near the chainstays but I can't tell for sure. Would this Axiom rack work on it or would I need to get a Schwinn specific rack? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2. Would this style of bike have any trouble hauling semi heavy panniers?
3. Would this bike be less likely to be stolen than the Fuji? I would still lock it with 2 good locks if not more but still worry about it. It will be a cheap enough bike but I will put some work into it and just don't want to keep losing bikes.
4. Any comments on this specific bike or Schwinn cruisers in general are also welcome.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by ciclista_pazza; 06-10-20 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 01:58 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I suspect the Schwinn would get stolen quicker than a Fuji. Schwinn cruisers are fun to ride but are heavy, not very fast see first part of this and not first choice of ride unless I am going to the post office or the ice cream shop a few blocks away. Roger
Old 06-10-20, 07:58 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
I suspect the Schwinn would get stolen quicker than a Fuji. Schwinn cruisers are fun to ride but are heavy, not very fast see first part of this and not first choice of ride unless I am going to the post office or the ice cream shop a few blocks away. Roger
Thank you! This is helpful.
Old 06-11-20, 07:07 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
The SL 1 was made after 2010 to about 2018. Not an old bike or very expensive bike. Roger