Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 06-19-20, 01:12 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by N2motorsports
After 500 miles on the oem setup, it was time to modernize her. First picture was from the day I got her in Jan 2020.
Last pic I grinded down a presta lock nut to angle the rear brakes 1-2 degrees upward for clearance. If any knows of a better, safer way to mount, pls share.

I'm digging the orange tape!
Old 06-19-20, 02:36 PM
N2motorsports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I'm digging the orange tape!
it was a failed attempt at a miami dolphins colorways since I could not find a MV in my size. Just found it incredibly hard to find a matching orange seat and bottle holder as well. *not a fin fan but my team is just as bad,, maybe worse
Old 06-20-20, 06:47 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I've posted how I never watched the tv series Miami Vice bitd and after watching a utube video of Edward James Olmos talking about his initial contact with the show made me want to watch it. So recently I purchased the first season DVD, liked it, purchased second season. I thought what the hey I'll buy the next season too. But as the kids say, they caught me slipping. The first two seasons were relatively cheap 5 or 6 bucks. But I didn't do my due diligence, and the next season is two to three times that. They got me on that one. Still contemplating getting it...
Speaking of Miami Vice, I rode mine yesterday and it gave me a great ride. I think it's funny that in spite of it being my heaviest bike , with lowest level of components, cheapest tires, worst accessories on it (saddle bag, bottle and cages) it always surprises me that it never disappoints. <There's gotta be a better/clearer way to say that @canklecat.
Anyways, which leads me to another thought. How many of y'all are making it to the (RTs) HNH in august? And if going, are you riding an Ironman? And if riding an Ironman, which one? I want to know so I can bring an Ironman that isn't the the same as someone else's.
I know @jim dandy has a Summertime Blues Ironman like me but not sure he'll make it. (Remember JD you don't have to do the full hundred and your presence would certainly be appreciated) C-Cat has a Smoke On The Water Ironman and I don't have one of those....anymore. My cycling buddy I believe is still going and he has a '88 Yellow/White straight fade Ironman Master, I don't have one of those....anymore either.
I'd like to take my '86 Classic however I'd need to change the 13-21 dura ace freewheel to 13-26 as a precautionary measure keep thinking it'll be the '88 Carbon Midnight Rider as it has a a rangey 13-28 8 speed cassette. And honestly I have no problem taking the Miami Vice with 13-26 dura ace freewheel but I would switch out to better lighter accessories.
So who's Going?
No I haven't fallen off the earth and wasn't quite blown away in the tornado but I have been sidetracked lately. As far as I know me my granddaughter and daughter will be there. I'm not going to commit to any number of miles we will ride since none of us have been able to get out much. My sister in law will probably be there too. I will probably ride my 88 purple haze my grand daughter will ride her black '89 and my daughter will ride her teal & white 87 sister in law will have her Miami Vice.
Old 06-20-20, 11:06 AM
WildWilly

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Wow, we have a former POTUS on board, cool!
It appears the bar and stem, and rear wheel, have been swapped.
madpogue thanks for the quick response. Any idea what it's worth? I fell in love with an 88 ironman master that I picked up 5 years ago. So I saw this and had to get it. I am not sure if I should clean it up and make it look pretty or keep it with the patina as the carbon coating is aging and turning a little brown and flaking off. I just don't want to remove any of the cool decals or nostalgia of the bike.
Old 06-20-20, 06:15 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
No I haven't fallen off the earth and wasn't quite blown away in the tornado but I have been sidetracked lately. As far as I know me my granddaughter and daughter will be there. I'm not going to commit to any number of miles we will ride since none of us have been able to get out much. My sister in law will probably be there too. I will probably ride my 88 purple haze my grand daughter will ride her black '89 and my daughter will ride her teal & white 87 sister in law will have her Miami Vice.
Man if all y'all show up with those Ironman bikes along with everyone else, that's gonna be one heck of a group pic.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-21-20 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-20-20, 06:29 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by WildWilly
madpogue thanks for the quick response. Any idea what it's worth? I fell in love with an 88 ironman master that I picked up 5 years ago. So I saw this and had to get it. I am not sure if I should clean it up and make it look pretty or keep it with the patina as the carbon coating is aging and turning a little brown and flaking off. I just don't want to remove any of the cool decals or nostalgia of the bike.
Your and all Carbon Ironman are '88s and '88 Ironman have the coolest decals.
There is a thread of a BF member completely stripping the clear off a centurion carbon. It's a really cool read. As I recall he ordered new decals. Eventually RT purchased that same centurion carbon. He eventually was rid of it but that's a whole other story.
Old 06-22-20, 07:56 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 280 Posts
Didn't plan this, but it matches the new Taco:

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 06-22-20, 09:28 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Here's my addition to this thread, a 1990 63-64 cm or 25" Diamondback Master TG Centurion. I doubt I'll be keeping it for long, however, as the frame is way, way too big for me.

The backstory on this is that my father - for some reason as it's also far too large for him - purchased this bike about 10 years ago and it pretty sat untouched in my parents' garage since then. About a week ago, I was visiting my folks and was helping them clean out the garage. I asked my dad what he was going to do with the bike and he said that he would 'get rid of it'.

Well, I volunteered to take it off his hands, so I stripped it down so I could transport it back home six hours away in my VW Golf. The handlebars were slightly bent and dinged-up and the chain had rust on it, so into the recycling bin they went. The tires were dry rotted and the brake pads rock solid, so off they came. What was left of a Cateye computer (just the wiring) went into the garbage along with the saddle as it had seen better days. But overall, the frame and fork are in excellent condition for 30-year of age and I'm impressed with the Made in Japan quality. I love the paint job and wish the frame was in my size as I would gladly keep it and ride it.

I have plans for the Shimano 105 groupset (minus to too long 175mm crankset) and Mavic 190 FB wheelset - that's why the frame is pretty much stripped. I'll most likely post the frame for sale or trade here in the forum in the near future.

Enjoy!

1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion Tange OS

1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion Chainstays

1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion Front

1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion Headtube

1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion Fork

1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion WSI Inc, Camarillo, California

1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion Avenir Tange OS Decal

Last edited by NatusEstInSuht; 06-22-20 at 09:36 PM.
Likes For NatusEstInSuht:
Old 06-22-20, 09:39 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Pretty sure I will passing this on tomorrow. I have owned three 'Miami Vice' bikes. The many years of owning an Ironman will be over. This one was truly in perfect condition.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 06-25-20, 07:08 PM
oceanstaterider

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1988 Cannondale ST 700

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Here is my 86 Ironman with Shimano 600. I hope to add a pair of 600 pedals soon. I stumbled upon this beauty when I was stationed in Hawaii and brought it back to Rhode Island with me when I came back.
Old 06-25-20, 08:05 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by oceanstaterider

Here is my 86 Ironman with Shimano 600. I hope to add a pair of 600 pedals soon. I stumbled upon this beauty when I was stationed in Hawaii and brought it back to Rhode Island with me when I came back.
Favorite year...so far.
Looking good.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-25-20, 08:21 PM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Pretty sure I will passing this on tomorrow. I have owned three 'Miami Vice' bikes. The many years of owning an Ironman will be over. This one was truly in perfect condition.

Hope to find one in half decent shape one day. Gorgeous, hope it's going to an enthusist.
Old 06-25-20, 08:22 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
It did.
Old 06-28-20, 05:41 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
If the fight seems lost, some of us throw our hands in the air and walk away. Still fewer of us leave the country. But I digress.
I came in here to say my '88 Expert will go on the block in the Fall/Winter. Here in Mexico. I'm selling off half the fleet, and it didn't make the cut. A '80 Trek 414 beat it out. In part due to paint. The 414 paint is exquisite, and a solid color. The Expert is two-tone, and red(I never liked a red bike). And the old Treks just fit me like no other bike I've ever experienced.
I found this thread on page three. I've come back to say that, with the IM being mentioned a couple times in the best bike of the decade thread, I'm reconsidering. It has my best tires on it, my best pedals, and soon will have my favorite saddle too. And I will put it through the paces.

Old 06-29-20, 09:15 PM
texaspandj

I found this thread on page three. I've come back to say that, with the IM being mentioned a couple times in the best bike of the decade thread, I'm reconsidering. It has my best tires on it, my best pedals, and soon will have my favorite saddle too. And I will put it through the paces.
Awesome.
Old 06-30-20, 08:11 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by oceanstaterider

Su-weet!
Old 06-30-20, 09:47 AM
texaspandj

We'll another month is coming to an end but a new one is beginning (half-full glass kinda thing). And I haven't worked out near as much as planned. So New plan, only biking 6 days a week. I'm not losing any weight so might as well just enjoy riding.
In other news, we reopened our business at the beginning of June and only to a literal handful of students. However due to the increased virus cases in Texas we've decided to close at least the month of July. It's unfortunate and we could stay open however we all would have to wear mask while working out (punching bag, jumping rope, kicking drills, squats, etc) which would be very uncomfortable and risk a 1000 dollar fine for each person violation. So doors close again. Reality check, two of our students had to be tested because of contact with a positive case. They're waiting on results. So at this time I'd like to give another shout out to those who encouraged me and my new as Seypat so eloquently put it "side hustle". Thanks guys. Believe it or not it's keeping me busy enough and it's been rewarding in a lot of unexpected ways.
Now on to IRONMAN shhhstuff. I'm wondering if The Ride will happen. I'm riding everyday just in case so no more running.

All four of my Ironman have black cable housing and for me that means black saddle, wrap, cages, and hoods. But I'm changing one if my Ironman to white Cable housing. Will it be my '86 red and white Classic, '87 fushcia and marigold Miami Vice, '88 Carbon Midnight Rider, or the '89 cobalt blue and white Summertime Blues Ironman?

I think i have some white brake levers hope they're 105, and my buddy is giving me some white cages.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-30-20 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-30-20, 02:17 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I took it out this morning, and the verdict is it's no match for the Trek, comfort wise. Probably faster, but that's not my thing anymore. If I still have the frame set next time I come north, I'll check and see if anyone wants it.

Old 06-30-20, 06:06 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
Hi , fine people . My 86' IM has under gone a few changes , I can always go back or change a few degrees more . After I got done it hit me that black tires would be a good idea . So I would really like your input .
First picture , the old chrome / silver look . Note the lumpy Cinelli bar tape .
IMG_0191 by mark westi, on Flickr
Changes I made . Chrome Prestige Tange fork , black Tange Headset , Newbaums blk bar tape , black Tektro brake calipers , black bottle cage , black big chain ring , black chainstay protector . Red bullseye jocky wheels .
IMG_0602 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_0611 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_0600 by mark westi, on Flickr

Last edited by markwesti; 06-30-20 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 09:40 AM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
FYI
Wheeling IL
$200

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5757712806783/
Old 07-01-20, 09:45 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
And Springfield, IL

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9059236262672/

Old 07-01-20, 04:49 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Hi , fine people . My 86' IM has under gone a few changes , I can always go back or change a few degrees more . After I got done it hit me that black tires would be a good idea . So I would really like your input .
First picture , the old chrome / silver look . Note the lumpy Cinelli bar tape .
IMG_0191 by mark westi, on Flickr
Changes I made . Chrome Prestige Tange fork , black Tange Headset , Newbaums blk bar tape , black Tektro brake calipers , black bottle cage , black big chain ring , black chainstay protector . Red bullseye jocky wheels .
IMG_0602 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_0611 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_0600 by mark westi, on Flickr
that is a kick ass fork. also I don't mind the lumpy tape as I have the same Cinelli and while its sort of.. large.. it feels great.

that said, tan walls on an IM, not my thing. but different strokes for different folks!
Likes For jetboy:
Old 07-01-20, 05:18 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
@jetboy , I'm thinking some black tires too . I will save the tan walls as I have a decent set of clincher wheels that I will use . Thanks for the reply .
Old 07-01-20, 05:19 PM
texaspandj

markwesti your Ironman is one of my all time favorites. The sleekness, simplicity, racing color way. Those o ring tanwalls are SSSWWEET!
Old 07-06-20, 06:26 AM
texaspandj

How are y'all rides going?
I rode 4 out of a planned 7 days. 1 of those days I ran, and another day (Saturday I went canoeing with my wife, which with my wife turned into a 2.5 hour workout) and the other skipped day I was tired. Hopefully this week I'll be more consistent.
It's been hot and reportedly it's gonna get hotter and not just in Texas but most of the country is in the path of a heat wave.
Yesterday after riding early with my cycling buddy I started changing one of my Ironman from black cables to white (pics to come) I rode again and it was HOT...and humid. However it was overcast so I had that going for me.
Keep the rubber side down Ironkids.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.