Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 08:31 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I'm sure that I speak for the entire Flat-Barrer Community when I say that we flat-barrers aren't looking to be talked into or out of anything. We respect Drop-Barism as a faith and as a belief system just as much as we respect the convictions of our drop-barrer brethren. All we ask in return is that you respect our Flat-Barring religion and stop trying to shove your beliefs down our throats. Feel free to overtake as many of us as you'd like down any stretch of tarmac.

As as a friend 70 year old drop bar rider who spends 50% of the time shaking out my hands and the other half on the hoods or near the stem... I love my drops. It's a matter of something that's beyond function - more like, art!
Likes For McBTC:
Old 06-22-20, 03:28 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
all the nonsense you *****s have been arguing
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Epic post.
I'm at a loss here. I still couldn't tell if we're supposed to be fuqqers or suqqers. indyfabz which one would you rather be?
Old 06-22-20, 05:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
IMO Drop bars are for elite racing cyclist.
And yet I haven't been able to find a sponsors for my tours.

BTW...That' not an opinion. It's a mis-statement of fact. Learn the difference between the two. And there is no prize for the greatest number of "You're all doing it all wrong because you're are not doing it like me" posts.

Please try to live by the words of Thumper's mother: "If you can't say anything nice...."

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-22-20 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-22-20, 05:41 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
IMO Drop bars are for elite racing cyclist. For the other 99% of us they are a hunched over rather uncomfortable position that pretty much causes you to stare at your front wheel.
Ryda you're forgetting bikes have more than one adjustment. The bars can move up too, not only down. And amazingly they move forwards and backwards too. I think they've done that for at least 50 years but it could be longer.

Racers are forced to assume this really dumb position because the UCI is too damned stiff necked. They force racers to ride a bike that was invented in 1890. Maybe some day they will approve of a modern bike.
A modern bike that can't climb? Well technically it can, but a recumbent is not nearly as good at climbing as an upright bicycle.

Also there's that little thing where you can't mountain bike anything even a teensy bit technical with a recumbent, especially with a trike.

BTW been there done that altho I didnt race. They among other things is why I went to recumbents. I can now sit upright with free lungs and able to easily see my total surroundings.
except behind you, unless you have owl like head agility. I know you use mirrors but you're forced to use them and mirrors never replace the real thing. Hence while driving I never switch lanes without doing a side check and never go reverse with just the mirrors.

On my bikes I don't use mirrors, handlebar or helmet mounted because they don't work nearly as well as looking over the shoulder.

On the topic of drop bars, they are the best thing for road because when setup properly they keep the shoulders from locking up as one can keep one's elbows down and neutral. Some narrow mustache bars and bullhorns allow for that too, but they lack drops which is a nice added bonus position for whatever
Old 06-22-20, 05:44 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,756 Posts
IMO Drop bars are for elite racing cyclist. For the other 99% of us they are a hunched over rather uncomfortable position that pretty much causes you to stare at your front wheel.
It's hard to know if you really believe this or are just trolling We can all expect our cycling capabilities to diminish with age and infirmity. It's wrong to assume that the majority of cyclists sink along with us.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-22-20, 06:08 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by elcruxio
while driving I never switch lanes without doing a side check and never go reverse with just the mirrors.
I do that all the time. It's a skill my late dad helped me developed early on when he taught me how to drive as a teenager (a lot of expletives and some domestic violence were involved, which is okay, given just how useful this particular skill has proven over the years.) I made it a point long ago to not buy any motor vehicle that's built in the USA; all of the ones I've had the misfortune to drive had flat driver's side mirror because that's what US DOT regulations mandated. I'm not sure if that's still the case with US-built vehicles or if it's still federal law to have a flat side-view mirror; I haven't checked out any new US-built cars recently. The late-model Chevy Sparks I used to rent until before the pandemic all had convex mirrors, but those were built in South Korea. My newly acquired 1990s Peugeot 505 station wagon has a flat driver's side mirror, but it's large enough for a good view to the rear left, and I use both mirrors to back the car up and out of parking spaces - and the 505 station wagon is a long vehicle! And I'm a really short dude!

Originally Posted by elcruxio
On my bikes I don't use mirrors, handlebar or helmet mounted because they don't work nearly as well as looking over the shoulder
One skill I learned in my early cycling days (thanks to Thom Lieb's book) is to use my ears to gauge my surroundings outside of my field of view - motor vehicles coming up behind me, how close they are and how fast they're coming; people talking; everyday noises... etc. and even other cyclists based on the noises their drivetrains make and the sound of them breathing. With surprisingly little time, it became second nature. It's an invaluable skill that kicked right back in as soon as I took up cycling again after an 18-year hiatus. I learned to tell early enough if and when someone is being a schmuck behind the wheel by the sound of their oncoming tire thrum and/or the noise of their engine intake as they accelerate or hoon, and now instinctively swerve out of the way - or into the nearest clear space - based on which side the noise is coming from.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 06-22-20 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-22-20, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I still couldn't tell if we're supposed to be fuqqers or suqqers.
N.B.: Evading the censor is a major no-no.

"In addition, the 'masking' of vulgarity by inserting * or another keystroke in place of one or more letters in a vulgar term is unacceptable in most cases. It will also be impermissible to anagramize a word to bypass the filters. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, PMs, avatars and signatures."
Old 06-22-20, 07:50 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I'm at a loss here. I still couldn't tell if we're supposed to be fuqqers or suqqers. indyfabz which one would you rather be?
sorry, new to the forum and didn't realize the site had a nanny filter.

Let's just say someone put dill weed into their bread dough...
Old 06-22-20, 08:00 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
For me, yes it's an illusion to expect drop bars anytime soon. I've got old injuries, though, and it's been decades since drops were comfortable. And so, it tends to be swept riser bars, with a suitably more-upright riding position. With a sufficiently tall head tube and steerer/stem, I might be able to get by with something on the order of a Salsa Woodchipper bar. But I like the taller, more-upright positions these days. Works better for the injured areas. Gettin' older. Just how it works, for me.

For most? I'm betting a great percentage of people use them when it's probably not the right choice for them. But that can probably be said for most folks, where the "right" bar/stem combination hasn't really be found yet and compromises in comfort and/or handling are accepted in order to go with what's commonplace/popular.
Old 06-22-20, 08:38 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'm far from elite. I'm a bit old and rather slow. But I find drop bars vastly more comfortable. The position may be uncomfortable for some but it's much easier on the back for me and feels much more natural. And the multitude of hand positions is much easier on my wrists. Obviously it doesn't work that way for everyone, but I suspect that 99% allegation does not represent reality.

I returned to riding about a decade ago and first got a bike with flat bars. After a couple weeks I bought one with drop bars. The joy of riding returned. Had I stuck with flat bars I'd never have gone beyond 5 mile rides. I can't imagine trying to ride 40 miles with flat bars.

Figuring out what worked for me wasn't all that difficult. I presume you are equally capable of figuring out what works for you. Why would you assume others don't have that capacity as well?

Last edited by jon c.; 06-22-20 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 06-22-20, 09:02 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Nope. Use 'em all of the time, on every ride. And I'm far from a racer/elite athlete.
- Greater steering and braking control during fast descents (esp. if bumpy).
- More hand positions.
- Getting low during windy conditions when cross-winds make getting low on the hoods less safe..
- Stretch out lower back.
- Sprinting to beat that yellow.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 06-22-20, 09:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I guess I would ask the question--------------with all the bikes with drop bars, what percentage of the time do all the cyclist riding them spend in the drops?
Old 06-22-20, 09:08 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Percentage in the drops? Probably 50% of the time on my SSCX, 30% on the road bike and go-anywhere bike. Road bike likely to go up, as I took the aerobars off last week, and it was in those a lot.
Old 06-22-20, 09:19 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by indyfabz
N.B.: Evading the censor is a major no-no.

"In addition, the 'masking' of vulgarity by inserting * or another keystroke in place of one or more letters in a vulgar term is unacceptable in most cases. It will also be impermissible to anagramize a word to bypass the filters. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, PMs, avatars and signatures."

But, isn't that exactly why the censor/nanny filter exists - so that it will thwart us while we try to get around it in new and creative ways?
Old 06-22-20, 10:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I probably posted some pithy junk earlier in the topic, but, have ridden some more so thought about it some more.

I think all have their places. I feel like if you know what you're doing between choosing and wrapping a bar and choosing gloves........any bar anywhere can be comfortable to hands in terms of pressure.

I thought the "tee bar" was mostly to have more steering control in tough environments. Slower steering response. You see this play out with mountain biking, gravel riding, cyclocross, etc....

Given my earlier about gloves and bar tapes (or aero bars for comfort sake), I would choose the bar based on the need for steering input and long-ride posture over the bars (upright or down). I don't see tee bars giving much advantage here since you can raise or widen drop bars a ton.

I sometimes take the dog for a ride on the wife's tee bar "greenway" bike in his basket on the front. The lower steering switch is nice in that scenario. The dog really messes up the front end feel of the bike otherwise. I've never been on my cyclocross bike and thought "wish I could be higher up" and that the wife's tee bar would solve that in any way.

It's whatever. Who cares. I just think folks need to be open to trying different things for different ride environments instead of being an ostrich with the head in the ground. Make friends and maybe ask "hey, can I try that for a couple miles". You might like it.
Old 06-22-20, 11:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I guess I would ask the question--------------with all the bikes with drop bars, what percentage of the time do all the cyclist riding them spend in the drops?
I probably spend 2/3 or more of my time on the hoods, I'll often do an entire century without touching the drops. But hood are really a position that can't be duplicated well on a flat bar. I find the wrist position and hand position far more comfortable than keeping my hands on the flat bar, and the bike FAR easier to control on the hoods rather than on bar ends.

So, what's the point of that question? All you're demonstrating is that your nonsense about drop bars being only good for racing is still nonsense.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-22-20, 11:33 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Depends. On my road bike, during a crit 100% of the time. During a road race, it depends on how much climbing there is, but always whenever there's stress: cornering, descending, bad pavement, in the pack. On my CX bike, much more time on the hoods, but I still use the drops when sprinting or descending.
Old 06-22-20, 11:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I just think folks need to be open to trying different things for different ride environments instead of being an ostrich with the head in the ground. Make friends and maybe ask "hey, can I try that for a couple miles". You might like it.
I honestly don't care whether they try it or not. I just don't like people telling other people what they should or shouldn't like, or making silly generalizations about the people who do things differently than they do.

But I'm very pleased to know that my choice of bars has converted me into an elite racer. Some might think 59 to be too old for that to start, but it's been stated on an internet forum, so there is now no doubt.

See you on the podium.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-22-20, 12:03 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I just don't like people telling other people what they should or shouldn't like, or making silly generalizations about the people who do things differently than they do.

Quoted for future reference.
Old 06-22-20, 12:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Metieval
Quoted for future reference.
Oh, look, stalker-boy is back.
Old 06-22-20, 12:18 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Oh, look, stalker-boy is back.
I hope you have a substantial amount of assets accumulated for the Slander lawsuit coming your way. Or the People that allow it also.

"slan·der
/ˈslandər/

noun
Law
noun: slander
  1. the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
    "he is suing the TV network for slander"

verb
    verb: slander; 3rd person present: slanders; past tense: slandered; past participle: slandered; gerund or present participle: slandering
  2. make false and damaging statements about (someone).
    "they were accused of slandering the head of state"
Old 06-22-20, 12:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I hope you have a substantial amount of assets accumulated for the Slander lawsuit coming your way. Or the People that allow it also.

"slan·der
/ˈslandər/

noun
Law
  1. the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

verb
    verb: slander; 3rd person present: slanders; past tense: slandered; past participle: slandered; gerund or present participle: slandering
Oh grow up.

Just so you know, you're anonymous here, so even if I've said anything provably untrue (which I haven't), proving damages is going to be impossible.

Now why don't you just put me on ignore and calm down?

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-22-20 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 12:26 PM
Metieval

Lawsuits are how adults handle slander
Old 06-22-20, 12:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Lawsuits are how adults handle slander
Adults actually know what slander is.
Old 06-22-20, 01:19 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts

"slan·der
/ˈslandər/

noun
Law

verb
Oh boy! As a lawyer it always tickles me when someone bases their "legal" arguments on dictionary definitions. And the wrong dictionary at that.

Also considering this is an international forum be sure to keep us all updated on how this potentially border crossing law suit goes. I'll have my popcorn at the ready.

​​​​​
Likes For elcruxio:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.