Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Bike car rack for a pair of cruisers

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 08:52 PM
mornview

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking for a car rack to haul a pair of old cruisers. This would either be a pair of old Chicago made (ie, heavy) Schwinn cantilever-frame men's cruisers, or a combination of a men and women's old Schwinn cruisers. I've never really researched a car rack before, but I figured the odd tubing angles/curves and weight of the bikes might make things difficult with some car racks, so I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations. Thanks!
Old 04-02-20, 06:51 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Where do want to mount the bikes. Roof, bumper, trunk other. I have never had trouble with either of the last 2 or any the racks I have owned. I currently have 2 different receiver hitch racks. One is a Thule and the other is a Blackburn. Both were bought used at a flea market. Roger
Old 04-02-20, 09:09 AM
mornview

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Where do want to mount the bikes. Roof, bumper, trunk other. I have never had trouble with either of the last 2 or any the racks I have owned. I currently have 2 different receiver hitch racks. One is a Thule and the other is a Blackburn. Both were bought used at a flea market. Roger
Sorry, I should've specified that - hitch mount would be ideal. I've actually been looking at quite a few from Thule; any idea what model you have?
Old 04-02-20, 12:46 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
My wife and I have the high mount so-called superlight model. Carries two bikes well, but you may need a "cross bar" if the frame is small. Works well; we use bungees to strap the bikes together in order to prevent them from "slapping" against each other and foam (from Home Depot used to insulate pipes) on the forks to prevent abrasion damage
Old 04-02-20, 02:55 PM
rhenning

I have no idea of the Thule model but it is 10 to 20 years old and you can still get the parts that wear out (straps) for it. Please do not quote me. Roger
Old 06-22-20, 08:09 AM
danlewis8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
I have no idea of the Thule model but it is 10 to 20 years old and you can still get the parts that wear out (straps) for it. Please do not quote me. Roger
quoted ;-)
Old 06-22-20, 09:32 AM
rhenning

Not funny. Roger
Old 06-22-20, 11:51 AM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
See my reply to Unrad in another post about car hitches. I had a U-Haul hitch installed to our Honda HRV....