Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Equipment/Product Review (1983) Rail Riders and Railbike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 09:46 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,467 Times in 999 Posts

I've never seen one of these or heard of one either, yet I've lived in towns/cities with railroad lines my entire life.
I would enjoy reading more about the final years of this story too.
He had big headwinds coming with the growing success of the Rails-to-Trails movement.
But I'd also like to know if he ever was passed or had to pass another rail rider.
Or if another rail rider approached him head-on -- one who wants to face traffic and ride on the left track.
Or maybe rail riding never really took off.

Would really love to see one of these things with the original Schwinn Sidewinder.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 06-24-20, 09:58 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Very interesting article. I have never heard of Railbiking, but do see the benefit. However, over the years, many rails have been salvaged so finding an abandoned rail today would be very difficult. Back then not so much.
Likes For kermie:
Old 06-24-20, 10:13 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,467 Times in 999 Posts
Originally Posted by kermie
Very interesting article. I have never heard of Railbiking, but do see the benefit. However, over the years, many rails have been salvaged so finding an abandoned rail today would be very difficult. Back then not so much.
Yeah, it blew my mind that a line across the Rockies was abandoned.
I couldn't imagine the work it took to create such a line only to later consider it obsolete for any reason.
And then being able to cross the Rockies in solitude on a bike at grades of 2% or less!
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 06-24-20, 10:53 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
And then being able to cross the Rockies in solitude on a bike at grades of 2% or less!
Oh that really was an awesome idea. I get it, as trains would struggle with steep inclines. Heck of the few roads I have ridden in the mountains, a 2% would be so great. Sadly, many roads are much steeper than that
Likes For kermie: