Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turns out clipless pedals no better than flat pedals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Turns out clipless pedals no better than flat pedals

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 12:25 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 933 Posts
I run standard Shimano SPD PD-M520 or XTR M-9000/9100 on every bike I own. There has never been any issue related to whether they are "better" (or worse) than flat pedals.

It is nice to know I'm attached. That becomes readily apparent every time I need high torque to climb a steep pitch or a motivated departure from a stop light. I can't count how many times I've thrust down with one leg & found the other in the air, Lord only know where above it's pedal. "Oops! I guess I should've clipped in!" I admit, the pull up on the back is rare, but is indeed useful.

Clipless are especially nice when cracking 110 rpms with deliberate round strokes. Supposed "power" benefits aside, flat pedals don't allow for the back sweep & consistant foot position at the top in quite the same way. It matters as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that: I do like platforms with the pins for recreational purposes. I do find my foot floating around a bit and my foot tends to go every direction other than straight & that makes my knee feel "loose." It never was a really big deal though. But it could be, so I stopped using them.

The biggest drawback to platform pedals I ever experienced was the constant pedal strikes as I sought to right the bike from a deep leaning low speed manuver. I had launched myself off the bike & into bushes more than once. Throttle control for agility is a basic skill & the performance envelope is just too unacceptably limited by wide flat pedals striking the ground, IMO.

Suit yourself. Riding on a bike & mastering a tool are very different ventures.

Last edited by base2; 07-03-20 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-03-20, 12:38 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I happen to have a power meter both on my touring bike with flat pedals (good ones with pins, so slipping was never an issue) and on the road bike with road clipless. Outside of all out sprints (well... they're not very impressive either way, heh) where I can deliver more power on clipless, there's no difference I can discern looking at heart rate and power output. I rode up to 260km on flats (carrying a load, no less) and 300km on clipless and haven't had issues with either, and the heart rate and power were very similar. I'm going to trust the science on this one; clipless is not more efficient.

Personally, I prefer flats in traffic, because starting uphill at traffic lights with road clipless is not terribly fun (and I tend to stop at red lights and the like). On the other hand, clipless makes sense with road bike gearing because I run out of gears for smoothly spinning in the saddle (or run out of power to go fast enough, another way of looking at it) somewhere above about 12-13% climbs or so, and have to get on my feet and I feel better doing that while clipped in. Plus, they just look the part on a road bike.

GCN also tested it and found the same - they could sprint harder, and being experienced roadies, they liked it more, but they couldn't find a difference in efficiency or power in steady state riding at all.
Old 07-03-20, 01:54 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Most cyclists are not cycling for competition making the discussion less relevant because the differences are whittled down to pedalling preferences rather than performance, some of us though are and we prefer clipless for good reasons attributed to performance gains that simply don't matter to most. In my training rides I'll rarely come across a stoplight or have to do more than a track-stand at a stop street. All this getting going from a stoplight is irrelevant to most in my region, given I don't live in a city but between towns and never train through either. If I lived in a city full-time I'd use flats for commuting and riding around it. Still, I don't know anyone who 'sprints' to get up to speed after a stop.

A full gas sprint would see anyone of a similar W/KG level on flats dropped by those on clipless. It's just a fact. I've won BMX races on flats, I've won road races on clipless. There is a difference and I believe nowadays that clipless is preferred even in BMX too at higher levels and only discouraged among novices and kids. There is no debate as to which allows you to use all of your power which is why you never see any Elite or Pro cyclist choosing flats for road or track; clipless or strapped in like you would be on track wins for power sprinting. I do HIIT training twice a week, clipless is so much quicker - by a margin of greater than 10% at least.

Anyone on flats in any of my group rides and certainly races, will be dropped in an attack and won't be able to challenge to the finish. True, at a nice steady cadence and with an efficient pedalling style, flats are fine and so great for all those who are just generally out for a ride, touring, commuting and who don't do the race thing. I agree too that getting feet back into clipless can be a fumble - even among very experienced riders.

My Speedplays are dual-sided so make it somewhat easier and I know several riders who use XC MTB dual-sided pedals on their road bikes too to make clipping in easier but still, 2 out of 10 times I'll not re-engage instantly and the aftermath can be a bit of a fumble. That said, at stop streets, if I don't get my foot in immediately, I treat the pedals as flats and get going. Just as quickly as someone on flats would. I only then re-engage once away and rolling so any fumble is of limited loss in time terms - not that time is generally important at stop streets unless they are included in a route you want to time trial, which I can't imagine why anyone would do.

For downhill or very technical MTB I prefer flats because I dab my feet down more often on tight turns and for commuting because I don't want to be tied to cleated shoes for walking stretches. For XC MTB, road and track I prefer clipless so that I can use my full power. Different tools for different types of riding. If full gas sprints are not a part of your ride and lower intensity is the main feature then flats are fine in all cases.
Old 07-03-20, 06:26 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What's the best chain lube?, What's the best frame material?, What's the best tire and size?, Flat bars or drops? Flats, clips, or clipless?
Meh, ride what you want.
Conan, what is best?
Old 07-03-20, 07:18 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Illgot
Try slip resistant shoes. I am currently using sketchers and the souls allow you to dig your shoes into the pins. I never slip.
I do use walking shoes with high grip soles, and yes, they do bite into the pins without slipping, even with rain coverings over the shoes.
Old 07-03-20, 07:48 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
What I've found and observed for rapid departure from stoplights is downshifting to a lower gear coming in makes more difference that what pedals you're pushing.
Old 07-03-20, 09:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Of course this is totally wrong if you ride a trike. If you use clip in pedals, he will prevent leg suck. It can happen with flat pedals.
Old 07-05-20, 02:15 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i always find the best part of a well fitting shoe with a molded insole is support , you might can do any amount of miles on flats , but if you think its better , your just not doing it a lot , or doing it with a purpose and you are just pushing through the discomfort with will power to prove your point to yourself , clippless systems allows you take the pressure off your sole without loosing watts aka power and torque and holds your foot in place , i dont know how people ride flats without getting numb feet ???
Old 07-05-20, 05:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
i always find the best part of a well fitting shoe with a molded insole is support , you might can do any amount of miles on flats , but if you think its better , your just not doing it a lot , or doing it with a purpose and you are just pushing through the discomfort with will power to prove your point to yourself , clippless systems allows you take the pressure off your sole without loosing watts aka power and torque and holds your foot in place , i dont know how people ride flats without getting numb feet ???

First of all, bs. I've done dozens of rides of more than 150 miles, on platforms, I ride hard and I don't experience any of the stuff you describe. If you're putting pressure on the foot on the upstroke, you're doing it wrong no matter what kind of pedals you're using, so the pedaling cycle prevents the numbness you've made up. I have a history of major foot problems, and one of the reasons I've become so committed to cycling is that I can do all I want without my feet flaring up. Trust me, when my feet flare up, there's no "pushing through," It's basically crippling.

Oh, and as to "not doing it a lot", in the last two days, I've ridden 200 miles and climbed 6000 feet yesterday. I'm going to take it a little easy and only ride 50 miles today.

Basically, you're just making crap up in your head.

BTW, there's costs to the foot caused by restraining the pressure point to the same exact spot. Know what? I've never heard a platform pedal rider complain about a "hot spot".

I'd bet you that something like 85-90% of adults who ride bikes use platforms. You end up sounding pretty silly when you tell us how we're riding.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-05-20, 06:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
It's not about which pedal is better, it has nothing to do with watts or efficiency or any of that...It's all about personal preference. Even if somebody provided scientific proof that clipless are more efficient I still wouldn't use them, I would continue to use platforms.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-05-20, 07:53 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I tried platforms for my Hybrid but ended up swapping them for SPD's (a system I've been using since the mid-90's).
Can anyone recommend a combo pedal (flat one-side, SPD the other) so my Hybrid can have the best of both worlds........
Old 07-05-20, 08:43 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
If you look at this thread responses as data points, the idea of 90% of adult riders falls apart.

Are you counting homeless dudes, taking the family around the block, and rides to the bar?

Last edited by Homebrew01; 07-05-20 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Removed personal references to others.
Old 07-05-20, 09:14 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
If you look at this thread responses as data points, the idea of 90% of adult riders falls apart.

Are you counting homeless dudes, taking the family around the block, and rides to the bar?
For most cyclists cycling is a mode of transport and not a hobby at least here in Europe and I'll assume the rest of the world excluding the US and perhaps some other anglic regions. Here people are cycle hobbyists so any results drawn from data points here are going to be heavily skewed.

Those who treat cycling only as a mode of transport rarely if ever use foot retention when cycling. There's not much point really. Of those who also consider cycling as a hobby only a portion uses foot retention. Of those who consider cycling as a hobby and not a mode of transport only a portion use foot retention.

​​​​​Now I don't know how many cyclists consider cycling as a hobby but considering some vague data from my neck of the woods I'm going to guess that it is perhaps 1% or 2% and I may be generous with that assessment. Most Finns and Europeans cycle from time to time but only a tiny fraction would call themselves cyclists.

Think of it this way. Lots of people drive cars, but how many of those consider themselves as auto enthusiasts and how large is the portion of those who own a hobby car or mount cup seats and five point belts on their car?

Also lots and lots of cyclotourists don't use foot retention while still cranking out considerable mileage day by day.

For reference, I use SPD clipless on my my touring and mountain bike but not on my utility bike.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 07-05-20 at 01:05 PM. Reason: edited quote
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 07-05-20, 10:15 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I tried platforms for my Hybrid but ended up swapping them for SPD's (a system I've been using since the mid-90's).
Can anyone recommend a combo pedal (flat one-side, SPD the other) so my Hybrid can have the best of both worlds........
Shimano eh500 or m324.
Old 07-05-20, 10:28 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Clipless have benefits for those who make use of their benefits.
They don't have benefits for those who don't make use of their benefits.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 07-05-20, 11:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's not about which pedal is better, it has nothing to do with watts or efficiency or any of that...It's all about personal preference. Even if somebody provided scientific proof that clipless are more efficient I still wouldn't use them, I would continue to use platforms.
There's so much "no true Scotsman" fallacy going on in this thread. You and I can't be "real" bicyclists because we don't use SPDs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-05-20, 01:06 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD Note To ALL: Time to drop the "Personal" stuff.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 07-05-20, 01:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rosefarts

Is that most of the cycling universe? Not even close.

This thread is a very select group, and not a reasonable sample for generalizing anything.
Old 07-05-20, 03:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm guessing some of the riders on this thread never sprint. Or climb steep hills. Or ride over rough ground. Or sprint up steep hills with rough ground (that's for the crossers).

I guess if you can do those things, and have complete assurance that you'll keep your foot on the pedal, you're better rider than I. Chapeau. Clipless pedals are for mere schlubs like me.
I do pull up... but similar to what many studies have shown, I only pull up part of the time, not all of the time.

Most of the studies I've seen were lab studies, and only looked at efficiency, and not at maximum power or longterm endurance.

Another thing I've noticed are times when I'm struggling to get home, totally exhausted, then I may have ZERO extra power pushing down... reserves are totally depleted. But, I may have a little extra reserve power with pulling up. I have to wonder if racers also experience the same thing when trying to sprint after a 100 mile race.

With cargo cycling, I think I also noticed certain types of drag which seemed to benefit from pulling up. I think I saw a similar research study mentioned in one cycling book. I may try to look it up, but they found benefits of pulling up with certain types of higher load situations as one might experience with cargo or hill climbs.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-05-20, 03:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Ahhh, found my notes earlier.

https://www.bikeforums.net/18173095-post58.html

They applied what they called a non-inertial load. Essentially, a strong load slowing down the pedal stroke, and measured the force throughout the pedal stroke. This might be what one would experience with hill climbs, cargo, or even hard accelerations.

What they found was that there was a measurable force pulling up. It wasn't nearly as strong as the downstroke, but it was not insignificant.

Another thing I would note. I've had to deal with traction issues on hill climbs at times. Standing puts the weight forward onto the front wheel. I can get lots of power both pushing and pulling, but I get a very sharp bursts of power on the power curve and can break loose the wheel. Sitting, on the other hand, puts more weight onto the rear wheel, to the point I can do accidental wheelies. Thus, nearly all the weight is back onto the traction tire. And it is easier to smooth out one's pedalling stroke (pedalling in circles). Evening out the power helps keep from breaking loose. Higher cadence might help too, but I tend to hit the lower cadences.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-06-20, 11:08 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
That day is today. Actually, it’s been around for about 30 years now. Triathlon.
Tri guys do some weird things with their pedal strokes to ‘save’ their legs for the run
Cam Wurf didn't get that message. Guess he like breaking the Kona bike section record more than winning.
Old 07-06-20, 11:34 AM
Bill63
Bike Mechanic

Bikes: Road, and MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
really nothing all that bad,you just loose the ability to lift at the same time as pushing so you are not as efficient
Old 07-06-20, 11:36 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I recently had that happen to me with clipless. I had come to a stop at a stop sign. When I started my standing accelerating, I thought I had clipped in. I hadn't. My foot slid off of the pedal and I slammed my taint into the seat. I have had far more issues with clipless than flats.
That's better than slamming yourself into the top tube. We've all done that at least once right?
Old 07-06-20, 11:56 AM
nextSibling

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
As someone who's been riding clipless (SPD, mainly) pedals for about 25 years, I can tell you that I really don't care whatever someone else prefers and maybe you probably shouldn't either.
Likes For nextSibling:
Old 07-06-20, 11:58 AM
Bill63
Bike Mechanic

Bikes: Road, and MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smoore
That's better than slamming yourself into the top tube. We've all done that at least once right?
nope, never done that
Likes For Bill63:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.