Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Bike is a Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A Bike is a Bike

Old 07-18-20, 06:35 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
exactly, showing off their money
I'm looking at the uber-expensive bike in your signature and trying to figure out where you fit in in all of this...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 07-18-20, 06:40 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Yes, Comrade, because everyone should only have what you can afford to have or want to have or choose to accept.

I'm only 4.53w/kg now and while that means I could improve, lose more weight etc, at over 50 I have steadily declining performance levels anyway compared to my peak decades ago. Nowadays, while still very competitive, I choose to enjoy a large pizza post ride sometimes and resting an extra day between harder efforts. It means I'm not making the absolute most of my potential, sure, but that's my choice and I'm entitled to it, as you are yours. However, I still want to do well and I can afford great bikes so despite the naysayers such as your good self, I'll spend my own money how I want and tough, sucks to be you if you are beaten by someone like me who gained a few extra watts for 'free'.
You must be a very competitive person
Old 07-18-20, 06:43 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
You are absolutely wrong.
I have some nice bikes that anyone other than myself rarely see as I usually ride solo.
So I don't have them to "show off".
There are many more reasons to have something (bike or otherwise) better/nicer than they need to be.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-18-20, 08:00 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Big Chainring has got this trolling thing down to a fine art. Probably get to 100 on this one without feeding it once. Impressive! Strava lure did not hit well but had such success with the “Jumping in random pacelines” that he is trying it again.
Old 07-18-20, 08:13 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
Big Chainring has got this trolling thing down to a fine art. Probably get to 100 on this one without feeding it once. Impressive! Strava lure did not hit well but had such success with the “Jumping in random pacelines” that he is trying it again.

And he's going back to that well with the "Humidity" thread. It's getting rather sad.
Old 07-19-20, 06:55 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
I'm looking at the uber-expensive bike in your signature and trying to figure out where you fit in in all of this...
I have been racing for 14 years

in what category am I
Old 07-19-20, 06:57 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Originally Posted by Dean V
You are absolutely wrong.
I have some nice bikes that anyone other than myself rarely see as I usually ride solo.
So I don't have them to "show off".
There are many more reasons to have something (bike or otherwise) better/nicer than they need to be.
to psychologicaly compensate for a lack of physical fitness?
Old 07-19-20, 11:47 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
So folks have to be Communist and not spend any more than their neighbour in case they upset someone who is jealous or a skiver? Work harder and/or smarter, earn more, buy what you want.
Old 07-19-20, 11:48 AM
AlgarveCycling

Are you 12 years old or just a green with envy loser?
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-19-20, 02:44 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

I have been racing for 14 years

in what category am I
I thought your contention was that people only bought expensive bikes to show off? But you have an expensive bike?
Old 07-19-20, 05:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Alternatively, more expensive stuff is often better than the less expensive versions of the same thing, and one can afford the more expensive stuff.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-19-20, 05:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

When I was a younger man, I used to sneer at old guys with gray hair (probably my age now) who drove sporty cars, thinking they didn't deserve them, because they were too old to really appreciate them. Now that I am on old guy with gray hair, I realize how stupid that was.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-19-20, 05:56 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
When I was a younger man, I used to sneer at old guys with gray hair (probably my age now) who drove sporty cars, thinking they didn't deserve them, because they were too old to really appreciate them. Now that I am on old guy with gray hair, I realize how stupid that was.
Or you've maintained a consistent bias in favor of your current situation, whatever it is.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-19-20, 06:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Or you've maintained a consistent bias in favor of your current situation, whatever it is.
Perhaps if I held the opinion that these things are too good for younger people, but I don't.

Old 07-19-20, 07:39 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Quoted for truth!
Old 07-19-20, 08:02 PM
dr_max

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
I thought your contention was that people only bought expensive bikes to show off? But you have an expensive bike?
didnt u read the post

there are 3 categories

there is also the one of strong riders with expensive bikes

any argument you bring
anything you say

in the eyes of strong riders, if you are a slow rider with an expensive bike, you are a show off

you can lie to your as much as you want but the world will see you for what you really are
Old 07-19-20, 08:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

didnt u read the post

there are 3 categories

any argument you bring
anything you say

in the eyes of strong riders, if you are a slow rider with an expensive bike, you are a show off

you can lie to your as much as you want but the world will see you for what you really are
Someone with a bank account who likes nice things. Got it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-19-20, 08:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
there are 3 types of riders

strong cyclist with whatever bikes
strong cyclists with expensive bikes
show-offs
My wife rides a bike that cost over $13k, but she has no idea it cost that much. She likes it because it's fast, comfortable, and she got to design the paint scheme. Since she isn't a strong rider, does that mean she's a show-off?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-19-20, 08:37 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

didnt u read the post

there are 3 categories

any argument you bring
anything you say

I got it now! You wanted the chance to tell everyone your were a strong rider. Got it...I’ll move along...and buy whatever I want because I work for my money and can do that and don’t really care what elitist, opinionated folks think...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 07-19-20, 08:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
didnt u read the post

there are 3 categories

any argument you bring
anything you say

It's clearly a challenge for you to even speak for yourself, so please don't presume to speak for others.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-19-20, 10:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
didnt u read the post

there are 3 categories

any argument you bring
anything you say

So you're in charge? You get to make the categories? What a load of crap.
I'm not fast, never have been. I've ridden with hundreds of riders over the last 35 years from retired pros to local racers to endurance riders to club riders and one thing I have found from nearly all of them is acceptance. It doesn't matter what bike you ride to most people, it matters first that you are safe to be around and then, when they get to know you, it matters what kind of person you are. I don't think I have been judged by my bike, ever. If I have it was by someone who didn't matter.

I ride an older bike but still expensive and people compliment me on the bike. I bought it for me because I wanted it. I ride it in old clothes and I drive to ride starts in an old car. It's the only thing I ever spent money on and I don't care if some presumptuous dick like you thinks I am a show-off. Fact is I don't think I have encountered such a person.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-19-20, 10:54 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
didnt u read the post

there are 3 categories

any argument you bring
anything you say

What qualifies as a strong rider?
I am sure their are many cyclists that would make you look weak.
Really shouldn't only people that earn their living riding a bike be the only ones justified in getting an expensive bike?
But by then their sponsor will give it to them for free.
Old 07-20-20, 01:39 AM
AlgarveCycling

didnt u read the post

there are 3 categories

any argument you bring
anything you say

You clearly consider yourself a strong rider (a statement that can be defined in many, many ways relative to age, category, pro or amateur, club or racer) and that is the basis for you justifying a more expensive bike to yourself. Now, tell us, what happens when you get older and lose the speed that you think you have? Do you sell your expensive bike and buy a cheaper one, more befitting of your strength and speed status?

I've raced at a top amateur level, top 10 Nationally, top 3 Regional, won races, got the trophies. Now in the Vets class, still top 5 in the region I now live in. I'm not a particularly strong rider I don't think but about average locally - there are still many stronger riders around me at Elite and Pro level. I have reasonably expensive bikes because I can afford nice things - I need to further justification and neither does anyone else, even you. Stop pretending you are strong, just admit you enjoy nice stuff. Pretenders are far worse than show-offs.
Old 07-20-20, 05:06 AM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
in before the thread lock... but god i hope its like right now.. because this thing is such a shyte show and pissing contest it kinda makes me agree with the publics view of us cycllist... geesh... after reading all this it makes me want to take a shower.. yes a bike is a bike now and days a 500 dollar bike is just a hairs different then a 13 thousand dollar bike.. you can put a strong cyclist on either and his times will be with in a half a min on a 24 mile time trial... or even a min... all the rest... is hype and marketing ,,,, its not the ship its the captain.. but please continue to show your ars.. if you wish.. there are few examples in life that the law of diminishing returns is in such display... im sure some can buy a paper clip for a thousand dollars too if they look hard enough..
Likes For scuzzo:
Old 07-20-20, 08:37 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
So folks have to be Communist and not spend any more than their neighbour in case they upset someone who is jealous or a skiver? Work harder and/or smarter, earn more, buy what you want.
Life's too short to argue with these attitudes. Like you, I mostly ride solo with a pretty nice bike that I enjoy immensely, with rarely the post-ride coffee shop to "show off my money."
Likes For mpath:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.