Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for chain lube?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recommendations for chain lube?

Old 02-24-18, 09:39 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
The largest cost in chain lube is the time it takes to put it on - or post about it.

No, the time to strip the factory lube.
Old 02-24-18, 10:30 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
No, the time to strip the factory lube.
I don't bother on the new DA chains.
Old 02-25-18, 08:18 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Total drive train friction, as determined by the unscientific, internationally recognized junior test backwards spin*, I have the lowest friction drive train system in the world.

*pre race - kids from various counties spin drive trains backwards. Junior is undefeated. Russia was close, obviously.
I know you are joking, but if thats your test, then no lube is actually better. The better way, that no one cares to perform, is comparing input power to output power. That is a power meter in the pedals and one in the hub. Then run it what ever power you normally ride. This can be tested in a real world environment and doesn't require a doctorate i engineering and tribology. It does how ever require a couple of meters and some time and patience.
Old 02-25-18, 08:47 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I don't bother on the new DA chains.
It does take some time to ride 500 miles, though, which is about what I get out of the factory lube.
Old 02-25-18, 08:49 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I know you are joking, ...
It is funny, it is a real thing. It is not a test, it is pre-race, ease the tension competition.

It does not measure under load friction which I care most about.
It does not measure wear protection, which I care little about.

It does measure freewheel / coasting which, for juniors, does matter as they have to coast more and are racing doing it.

... This can be tested in a real world environment and doesn't require a doctorate i engineering and tribology. It does how ever require a couple of meters and some time and patience.
I have a hub PM for that purpose. I want to see power at the hub, not what is in the pedals. I do not have pedal PMs but do have my eye on one. I expect the loss to be too low to really pick-up, but it might comparing data over time. Not sure I have the patience for that. I have a hard time doing my expenses.
Like most things in cycling, the tests work better than the calculations. I find this primarily in wheels.
Old 02-25-18, 09:11 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by f4rrest
It does take some time to ride 500 miles, though, which is about what I get out of the factory lube.
Break-in period!
I think the chain / cassette are at peak performance about there to maybe 2K miles+. After that (+2K or so), while still in spec, there is wear and swapping the cassette, may end up with a jump under higher power.

If something is important I'll toss a new chain on about 500 miles before the event. I can switch cassettes up until about that 2K mark. For a real big deal, it is new cassette/chain 500 miles before.

Like I mentioned, kid lubes every ride. I have to tell him to leave it alone for a few weeks.
Old 02-25-18, 09:42 AM
Racing Dan

It is funny, it is a real thing. It is not a test, it is pre-race, ease the tension competition.

It does not measure under load friction which I care most about.
It does not measure wear protection, which I care little about.

It does measure freewheel / coasting which, for juniors, does matter as they have to coast more and are racing doing it.

I have a hub PM for that purpose. I want to see power at the hub, not what is in the pedals. I do not have pedal PMs but do have my eye on one. I expect the loss to be too low to really pick-up, but it might comparing data over time. Not sure I have the patience for that. I have a hard time doing my expenses.
Like most things in cycling, the tests work better than the calculations. I find this primarily in wheels.
Thats fine, but you seem to miss the point of my post. By comparing input and output power you can directly measure and compare drive train losses. -> What lube is better, what chain is better, what cassette is better and so forth. I assume that is of interest in racing. Possibly you can measure it doesn't matter at all and just go with the cheapest option. It would be nice to know, rather than assume, IMO.

Btw. Comparing input and output could also lay to rest the age old debate over flexy vs stiff frames and how much power, if any, flexy frames soak up.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 02-25-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 10:23 AM
Doge

Thats fine, but you seem to miss the point of my post. By comparing input and output power you can directly measure and compare drive train losses. -> What lube is better, what chain is better, what cassette is better and so forth. I assume that is of interest in racing. Possibly you can measure it doesn't matter at all and just go with the cheapest option. It would be nice to know, rather than assume, IMO.

Btw. Comparing input and output could also lay to rest the age old debate over flexy vs stiff frames and how much power, if any, flexy frames soak up.
I don't miss the point at all. It is power at pedals - power at hub = power loss.

As you know that won't isolate what parts are contributing what. We have the chain, chain lube, the cassette, the flex loss (pedal, crank, BB, frame, hub spindle), the chain angle friction, and that just takes us to the hub. Should not forget the bearings - ceramic ones, in the BB, and hubs, the bearing lube. The pedal bearings and lube and pedal spindle. Then there is the spoke/wheel flex, the gluing/mounting, the tires, PSI and road surface.

So a simple power @ A - power @ B does not tell me much of what to "fix" - way too many variables. I have a PM at the hub as it gives me as close to the net result (less wheel loss) as I can. I guess the rest. Educated and experienced guesses, but they are guesses.

I did buy a couple of tested chains from Jason @ Friction Facts and a 5 W certified and tested chain saved maybe 4 W over a normal chain, but I think I get about that on these new chains.
Old 02-25-18, 10:42 AM
Racing Dan

I don't miss the point at all. It is power at pedals - power at hub = power loss.

As you know that won't isolate what parts are contributing what. We have the chain, chain lube, the cassette, the flex loss (pedal, crank, BB, frame, hub spindle), the chain angle friction, and that just takes us to the hub. Should not forget the bearings - ceramic ones, in the BB, and hubs, the bearing lube. The pedal bearings and lube and pedal spindle. Then there is the spoke/wheel flex, the gluing/mounting, the tires, PSI and road surface.

So a simple power @ A - power @ B does not tell me much of what to "fix" - way too many variables. I have a PM at the hub as it gives me as close to the net result (less wheel loss) as I can. I guess the rest. Educated and experienced guesses, but they are guesses.

I did buy a couple of tested chains from Jason @ Friction Facts and a 5 W certified and tested chain saved maybe 4 W over a normal chain, but I think I get about that on these new chains.
Of course not, but it does allow you to swap parts and compare. Never mind.
Old 02-25-18, 10:50 AM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Bikes: Concept2 BikeErg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use wax, or mobil1 0w-20.
Old 02-25-18, 11:33 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by johnlvs2run
I use wax, or mobil1 0w-20.
Why a multi-viscosity oil?
Old 02-25-18, 11:35 AM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Bikes: Concept2 BikeErg

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why a multi-viscosity oil?
No particular reason, it was just available.
Old 02-25-18, 02:22 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I started using Rock n roll Gold Lube, and it leaves my chain very clean and quiet for longer than the Tri flow dry and wet lubes I used before.
Originally Posted by formula bike
I have had great luck with rock n roll gold on my bikes. Easy to apply, cleaning and lubing is one step, long lasting, low friction, chain stays clean. I really don't know whats not to like about it. Sure waxing your chain or using squirt can save you maybe half a watt, but rock n roll is so easy and fast I will sacrifice that 1/2 watt.
Originally Posted by garysol1
We have been using the Rock and Roll Gold all purpose chain lube. Keeps chains clean and quiet. Its about all I can ask for. With that said I just put a new chain on the bike and when its time to lube it I am going to "experiment" with the Dumonde Tech lube.
Originally Posted by formula bike
This is true, but every test I have seen puts Rock n Roll Gold near the top in terms of efficiency, beat out by only Rock n Roll Extreme and some wax based lubes like Squirt (drip, which I haven't tried yet but would like to) and Molten Speed Wax. I use Rock n Roll because it is easy, fast, and works well for me. That said, I will likely try other lubes as well.
My bike (kid riding) was lubed every ride with Rock n Roll for 200-300 miles a week. Chains were virtually free/cost was not a factor. The only thing was, and is, friction. That is all I care about. That said, chain would last easy 5k miles.
+1

Rock n Roll Gold for me since I started back in cycling.
Old 02-26-18, 06:28 AM
Madridjoe
Man, I love this bike!

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
What wax do you use? Im having trouble even reaching 100MI, before the drive train sound pretty chatty.
I use Gulf wax, the same stuff they use for canning, add a little ptfe if you want
Old 07-24-20, 07:30 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I use T-9 in the winter as it's an excellent wet weather lube. In the dry I have been using finish line dry on my road bike and white lightning on my mtb. I'm giving Wend rub on wax a try on my road bike. We'll see how that goes.
Old 07-24-20, 03:12 PM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I used to use Finish Line Wet, which is basically motor oil in a dropper bottle. It was ok, it lasted a long time, but it picked up contaminants and turned black (gross), and it required a a degree of effort to clean/degrease.

I switched to Rock N Roll Gold, which is pretty thin, and needs to be applied more frequently. I usually reapply every second or third ride. I also thoroughly wipe the chain down with a rag after applying lube. It's definitely easier to keep things spiffy with Rock N Roll Gold, IMO.
Old 07-25-20, 01:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Not enough current lube threads, got to dredge up the necros as well....
Old 07-25-20, 04:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yes Something & wipe off the outside, under the rollers is the friction you lubricate to reduce.
Old 07-25-20, 04:37 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Not enough current lube threads, got to dredge up the necros as well....
Better to dredge up an old than start a new one IMHO.
Old 07-25-20, 04:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Good point
Old 07-25-20, 05:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooderson
I used to use Finish Line Wet, which is basically motor oil in a dropper bottle. It was ok, it lasted a long time, but it picked up contaminants and turned black (gross), and it required a a degree of effort to clean/degrease.

I switched to Rock N Roll Gold, which is pretty thin, and needs to be applied more frequently. I usually reapply every second or third ride. I also thoroughly wipe the chain down with a rag after applying lube. It's definitely easier to keep things spiffy with Rock N Roll Gold, IMO.
Anyone have a handle on what the RnR "Holy Cow" lube is, and where it fits in the spectrum of wet to dry, waxed or oily, etc?
Old 07-25-20, 05:59 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Comparitive Overview of Bicycle Chain Lubricants at BikeGremlin.com