Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SIDI cleats for toe clip pedals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 12:14 AM
kleppermaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a old pair of SIDI shoes that I was using with SPD pedals. I am fixing up a vintage Pogliaghi that is all Campagnolo Nuevo & Super Record equipped. I would rather not trade the original campy Super Record pedals with toe clips out for the SPD pedals. The problem is I am having trouble finding a slotted cleat that will fit or adapt to the SIDI shoes. I started out here by using the search window, but got such a barrage of non relevant threads that I gave up and decided to post. I'm sure the information I seek is somewhere here already. I just am not skilled enough yet to find it.

As for me and my bike we are both getting pretty long in the tooth. I started out racing in the 70's and am accustomed to the slotted cleats used with toe clipped pedals. so I do know what I am getting into there.

Please share any ideas you may have.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-19-20, 12:29 AM
kwhiner

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '84 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Slotted cleats

Try Yellow Jersey, Andy has been selling them for some time not sure he still does but worth a shot. If they are road style shoes you should be able to adapt to slotted use.

Last edited by kwhiner; 08-19-20 at 12:31 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-19-20, 12:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Are your shoes set up for the 3-bolt LOOK cleats? If yes, you can use the aluminum Exustar track cleats, ~$20. Excellent cleats, better than anything I used BITD. But, they are aluminum, They will destroy your aluminum rattraps. I use them with the steel rattraps of the Shimano 105 semi-flat pedals with excellent results. Likewise they would work very well with Campy NR pedals.

I've been riding fix gears since the days of dinosaurs (when we all used slotted cleats). I won't go to clipless on the fix gears because one of my re-occurring nightmares is pulling one foot off a clipless pedal at 40+ mph going downhill and having that pedal hit the back of my ankle. (The crash that would follow would do me less long term damage than that pedal strike.) So, slotted cleats, quality straps in good condition pulled tight. I may still pull a cleat but my foot stays in the straps and on the pedal. I re-swallow my heart, dip the brakes and slide my cleat back in place.

Ben
Old 08-19-20, 12:35 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by kleppermaster
I have a old pair of SIDI shoes that I was using with SPD pedals. I am fixing up a vintage Pogliaghi that is all Campagnolo Nuevo & Super Record equipped. I would rather not trade the original campy Super Record pedals with toe clips out for the SPD pedals. The problem is I am having trouble finding a slotted cleat that will fit or adapt to the SIDI shoes. I started out here by using the search window, but got such a barrage of non relevant threads that I gave up and decided to post. I'm sure the information I seek is somewhere here already. I just am not skilled enough yet to find it.

As for me and my bike we are both getting pretty long in the tooth. I started out racing in the 70's and am accustomed to the slotted cleats used with toe clipped pedals. so I do know what I am getting into there.

Please share any ideas you may have.

Thanks in advance
I may have a pair of those Sidi cleats, unused as I recall. Too late to look now, but I will do so tomorrow.
Old 08-19-20, 05:49 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Got pictures? How old are these SIDI shoes? There were at least 3 types of cleats for SIDI shoes from the old days of slot cleats. In addition to that, there were transitional era ones set up for both clipless and slot cleats.

There was one type of SIDI cleat that had to side by side bolts kind of like an SPD cleat. I wonder if that is what you are using? You could try ebay. There might be a generic Pavarin or something that will fit.

The search engine on this site is useless BTW. It works better to search it using Google directly. type your search terms into Google, then type site:bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

Code:
cycling slot cleats sidi shoes site:bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/
Old 08-19-20, 06:00 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
kleppermaster Will your SIDI's fit in a cage? I have found that mine will not due the bulk of straps vs shoe strings. I suppose you could bend the cage to fit but I failed to find satisfaction in the overall fitting. Fortunately I have an older pair of Avia that came with both types of cleats which work.
P1030191 on Flickr
P1030666 on Flickr
Old 08-19-20, 09:43 AM
kleppermaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Got pictures? How old are these SIDI shoes? There were at least 3 types of cleats for SIDI shoes from the old days of slot cleats. In addition to that, there were transitional era ones set up for both clipless and slot cleats.

There was one type of SIDI cleat that had to side by side bolts kind of like an SPD cleat. I wonder if that is what you are using? You could try ebay. There might be a generic Pavarin or something that will fit.

The search engine on this site is useless BTW. It works better to search it using Google directly. type your search terms into Google, then type site:bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

Code:
I tried loading pictures but got a error that said I had to have posted 10 posts before I could post pictures. I can't recall exactly when I bought them. Probably around 2000 to 2005.
Old 08-19-20, 10:05 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by kleppermaster
I tried loading pictures but got a error that said I had to have posted 10 posts before I could post pictures. I can't recall exactly when I bought them. Probably around 2000 to 2005.
Yeah, ten posts before you can post pics directly. You can still post a link to a flkr photo page etc.

At any rate, 2000-2005 is basically the modern era. The ones I was thinking of were from around 1980.

I'd guess your shoes may have both standard 2 bolt (SPD), and standard 3 bolt (Look) mounting points. For three bolt, you can buy old style cleats from yellowjersey.org and others. They should work as long as your Sidi's don't have big bulky straps or something that will get caught up.
Old 08-19-20, 12:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
If the Sidis were new when bought in 2000-2005, they will likely not work with clips/straps even if the OP goes with the Yellow Jersey cleat adapter. The velcro straps and such will make getting into/out of the clip/strap combo iffy at best. If one wants to use vintage pedals with clips and straps, it's best to use the shoes designed specifically for use with them.

Concur that Sidi used at least 3 different cleat types in the vintage era before the Look pattern became standardized.

DD
Old 08-19-20, 02:00 PM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
I was in the same dilemma with SIDI shoes made in the 80s, I tried some MKS MC2 units and they work really well, a bit tough getting into but other than that, once in, they work great
Old 08-19-20, 02:14 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Do you really need the cleats? I really like my Giro Rumbles with toeclips and straps, but I have to admit I really miss my old Avocet Touring shoes with the parallel cleat-like ribs on the soles.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-19-20, 04:43 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
I may have a pair of those Sidi cleats, unused as I recall. Too late to look now, but I will do so tomorrow.
Yup, I have these. Definitely unused, even brand new screws. Yours for the postage.

Old 08-20-20, 10:37 AM
kleppermaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They look very nice and thanks for digging them out. However they do not match the shoes I have so I cannot use them.
Old 08-20-20, 11:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sold my Kangaroo upper Sidi Toe clip shoes , they had their own cleat so I bought Extras @ the time..

Still have Sidi's Toe clip cyclo-Cross shoes, in storage here ( More running carrying the bike friendly.. )

Same thing, bought extra cleats..

Old 08-20-20, 02:14 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
One thing I remember about my 1980s Sidis was that the stock nylon cleats they came with were tight on the pedal cages to begin with and tended to close up even more with just a little bit of walking on them. A couple of times I tried to get them to release and instead pulled my foot out of the shoe due to them being so tight. I would definitely not go back to that setup.
Old 08-21-20, 09:19 AM
kleppermaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Code:
Here are some pictures of my shoes. That is the left one.

Old 08-21-20, 09:53 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I'm imagining that buckle mechanism on the front of the tongue getting hung up with a spring steel clip. May not end well.
Old 08-21-20, 10:38 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I'm imagining that buckle mechanism on the front of the tongue getting hung up with a spring steel clip. May not end well.
My thought also. There's no way I'd use those shoes with toe clips and straps.
Old 08-21-20, 11:35 AM
kleppermaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Not the case at all. I removed the spd cleats and left the spd adaptor on. I cut a slot in the adaptor to match the pedal and just finished testing it out. It's no more difficult to get into or out of than my old Detto Pietro lace up shoes with aluminum slotted cleats I used to race with. The center strip of the aluminum Campagnolo toe clip rides up and over the twist lock and stays centered on it.
Old 08-21-20, 11:42 AM
Salamandrine 

Interesting. Looks like they included an adapter for the older Sidi 2 bolt side-by-side slotted cleat system. That adapter looks factory to me.

I concur that that bolo dial etc will most likely get in the way if using these with clips and strap, but it may kind of sort of work. Clearly Sidi intended these shoes to work with both Look pedals and traditional clips and straps.

At any rate, as suspected these shoes have the standard and current 3 bolt 'Look' cleat mounting points. You could try the previously mentioned yellowjersey slot cleats. Those will bolt onto these 3 holes if you want to give it a shot. Alternatively I suppose you could use that adapter plate if you happened to have the correct old mid 80s Sidi slot cleats. This would add to the stack height an exacerbate any issues with the bolo hardware getting in the way. I think you're better off using slot cleats that bolt directly to the Look pattern 3 holes. Even with that it's going to be less than ideal, but like I said, maybe worth a shot.

PS Exustar makes a compatible slot cleat too. https://rsicycles.co.uk/index.php/ex...moplastic.html
Old 08-21-20, 12:31 PM
Salamandrine 

Interesting. Looks like they included an adapter for the older Sidi 2 bolt side-by-side slotted cleat system. That adapter looks factory to me.

I concur that that bolo dial etc will most likely get in the way if using these with clips and strap, but it may kind of sort of work. Clearly Sidi intended these shoes to work with both Look pedals and traditional clips and straps.

At any rate, as suspected these shoes have the standard and current 3 bolt 'Look' cleat mounting points. You could try the previously mentioned yellowjersey slot cleats. Those will bolt onto these 3 holes if you want to give it a shot. Alternatively I suppose you could use that adapter plate if you happened to have the correct old mid 80s Sidi slot cleats. This would add to the stack height an exacerbate any issues with the bolo hardware getting in the way. I think you're better off using slot cleats that bolt directly to the Look pattern 3 holes. Even with that it's going to be less than ideal, but like I said, maybe worth a shot.

PS Exustar makes a compatible slot cleat too. https://rsicycles.co.uk/index.php/ex...moplastic.html
CORRECTION: That adapter plate is for SPD cleats. Too far forward for slots, and obviously it has already been used to mount SPD clears. Underneath it and built into the actual shoe there appear to be mounting points for the older mid 80s Sidi slot cleats, set further back than where you'd put an SPD.